, 2016 GMC 2500 Denali-Duramax Diesel
WBCCI #2905-NEU

AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 08:12 AM   #44
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Arrival - Thursday hopefully before noon...
Depart - Sunday

Got the guitar tuned up, truck washed and ready to go !

Old 08-03-2004, 08:42 AM   #45
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Thursday afternoon, if we're lucky. we've learned to not interfere w/ naptime at any cost.

and speaking of such things...is anyone familiar w/ the fairgrounds? I want to make sure we bring the right stroller for jr. We have 2; 1 is an "all-terrain" model, ("jogging stroller...real inflatable tires, big wheels) which is much easier to push on unimproved or rough surfaces, but has much less overall utility than #2...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 08:52 AM   #46
Magazine publisher
Commercial Member

Ferrisburg , Vermont
We'll probably arrive "late" meaning after the 5:30 pm dinner on Thurs. If anyone else is in our situation, perhaps we can link up for a more civilized dinner hour, say around 7 pm?

Titu & Gail: If this rally follows the typical pattern, the Fairgrounds will be a ghost town by 10 a.m. Sunday morning.

BTW, I talked to the proprietors of the Top Dog (caterers of the hot dog lunch on Saturday) and apparently there was a miscommunication between them and Airstream. (They have a converted Bambi that they use as a hot dog stand.) They may not be attending the rally. It's still up in the air at the moment.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:08 AM   #47
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream Life
We'll probably arrive "late" meaning after the 5:30 pm dinner on Thurs. If anyone else is in our situation, perhaps we can link up for a more civilized dinner hour, say around 7 pm?

"more civilized". hee hee!!!

you should run for office!!
Old 08-03-2004, 09:33 AM   #48
Past Prez.NEU/Membership

2005 34' Classic
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
Thursday afternoon, if we're lucky. we've learned to not interfere w/ naptime at any cost.

and speaking of such things...is anyone familiar w/ the fairgrounds? I want to make sure we bring the right stroller for jr. We have 2; 1 is an "all-terrain" model, ("jogging stroller...real inflatable tires, big wheels) which is much easier to push on unimproved or rough surfaces, but has much less overall utility than #2...

Chuck,

It's a grassy open field (?bumpy). Typical fairgrounds! Checked it out a week ago, open area with no trees. Your "all-terrain" stroller would be most appropriate for there. If you venture out to the nearby towns, then the other stroller would come in handy.

Regarding naptime, thought you were referring to the AS folks

See ya there
2004 Yukon Denali
, 2016 GMC 2500 Denali-Duramax Diesel
WBCCI #2905-NEU

AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 10:48 AM   #49
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titu & Gail Ahmed
Chuck,

It's a grassy open field (?bumpy). Typical fairgrounds! Checked it out a week ago, open area with no trees. Your "all-terrain" stroller would be most appropriate for there. If you venture out to the nearby towns, then the other stroller would come in handy.
glad you told me. looks like we'll have to bring both. such a pita, because they both take up a lot of room. I couldn't really tell from the map that they posted on the website...at the region 1 last year, the fairgrounds had pavement everywhere we needed to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titu & Gail Ahmed
Regarding naptime, thought you were referring to the AS folks
I was. what did you think I was referring to?

Old 08-03-2004, 12:03 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Stick with the AT Baby Hauler.
Dinner after 7 would be great. We live in the area. What style / cost did you have in mind. We live 4 miles from Fairground and will be bringing the trailer over Thursday. Not doing Ziti or Ham.
For those interested the closest places are
The Vanilla Bean Cafe A unique place with sandwiches, quiche, and specials which may include all kinds of really good stuff. Beer and Wine but not a place people come to drink. Has outside patio tables. About 3 miles. http://www.thevanillabeancafe.com/ The owners are close friends but the food really is very good. A few hundred feet down the road is "The Harvest". Upscale with mixed reviews. Best wine list in the county at fair prices.
Java Jive right outside the fence, never been except for coffee but others like it. Morning and light lunch place.
Across the street from the fairgrounds is a sandwich place which is good quality. Back off the road next to the antique shop up the drive. Interesting gift shop back in there also.
"In Town" (Putnam at 4 Miles) is of course your Walmart. Then downtown we have the upscale "The Vine" Kind of saucy but most like it. The Courthouse Restruant (family dining pub style, salads, burgers, steaks, lobster). I like the Reubens. Across the street from the Vine is "Someplace Special" Sit down pizza plus place with salad bar. Fried seafood ect. Across from court and down a little is "Nicky's Dog House" Dogs with the works, burgers, the best fries around ect. Cheap. These are right downtown in the antique shop area. Park at the public parking and walk a half block on the hill to the corner. You'll see the vine to the right and the court to the left.
In Putnam is also Deary Bros Dairy Stand. An old fashion Dairy Stand where you line up and order at the window. Ice cream to fried shirmp, clams, burgers, ect. All good with picnic tables to sit. They changed back to the good fries. Head into town (left out of fair) and stay right. At light turn left. After the Napa auto turn left down the hill. You'll see a sign to turn left in a few shor blocks
The best places are in Providence (50 minutes) and one in Sturbridge, 20 minutes. This is Cedar Street which just reopened with a new owner/chef. Has always been a favorite for us. http://www.cedarstreetrestaurant.com/

See you in Woodstock. We will be in the Vintage Section.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:42 PM   #51
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Just a quick question. Being new to this and all .... Will we need anything other than our hose for water... I read somewhere maybe in another thread Y connectors were necessary. Will there be direct conections to water or do they "daisy chain" the connection?
Old 08-03-2004, 01:10 PM   #52
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEO
Just a quick question. Being new to this and all .... Will we need anything other than our hose for water... I read somewhere maybe in another thread Y connectors were necessary. Will there be direct conections to water or do they "daisy chain" the connection?

Its a good policy to bring a "y", as well as a "dogbone" (3-way electrical splitter...shaped kind of like a dog bone...available at any hardware store). Unless someone knows otherwise for certain, we may or may not have to daisy-chain water and/or electric. and even if someone were to say "no, you absolutely won't need it"...I wouldn't believe them. apply the Boy Scout motto, and "be prepared".

last year, it was hit or miss...some people were close enough to an outlet, but many were not. another fair-grounds rally I attended last year had more hookups available, but still not quite enough for everyone.

according to the forecast, it looks like we won't have to worry about running a/c this time.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:45 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Very good suggestion Chuck. I'll run out tonight and get a Y water connector and a "dogbone". I won't be bummed if electric hookups are not available but I'd be in a world of hurt if we don't have water as I'm not planning on filling my water tank.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 08:11 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Aren't you suppose to fill the water tank to help stablize the trailer when going down the road at 80mph?
Old 08-04-2004, 01:39 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Ok, I guess I need to visit the site more often. . . Just finding out about the rally. and we happen to be in Providence, RI. Does anyone know if on-site registration is available, or am I out of luck.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:17 PM   #56
Magazine publisher
Commercial Member

Ferrisburg , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Dinner after 7 would be great. We live in the area. What style / cost did you have in mind. We live 4 miles from Fairground and will be bringing the trailer over Thursday. Not doing Ziti or Ham.
Thanks for the great list of restaurants! I should have noted, we usually cook dinner in the trailer (unusual for Airstreamers!) but with a late arrival we might go out for dinner on Thurs. So we'll check around to see who looks hungry when we arrive, and wing it from there ...

We'll probably be in vintage too.