Old 06-28-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1969 31' Sovereign
Madison , Wisconsin
Question about WBCCI International Rally in Madison, WI

WBCCI International Rally in Madison, WI
Question just bought my Airstream and see there is a rally in my hometown.
Have not yet joined WBCCI. Is there a option to buy a guest pass at the check in gate so I can come into check it out????

Thanks Todd

tdoescher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Yes, there is always some sort of guest pass issued for folks who wish to visit. I see you own a vintage rig. The Vintage open house is on today at 1:00 and is open to the public, or at least it always has been. This is something I would not miss if I were you.

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Mesquite , Texas
Would you go just for Friday?

I have never been to the international rally. I am new to the WBCCI and Airstreams. It certainly seems like it should be a good time.

The puzzle though -- I am traveling on business this week. I could change my flight and return home on Saturday afternoon. That would give me enough time to drive up to Madison and check it out. The real downside is the drive - It will be about 5 hours each way depending on traffic in the wonderful city of Chicago.

Would you do it? I was thinking I could drive up in the wee hours of Friday morning, arriving at 9 or so. Hang out at the rally. See the sights. Maybe catch a seminar if something on the schedule seems appealing. Then I could stay the night in or around Madison and head back on Saturday morning bright and early to catch the return flight.

wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
To go, or not to go--that is the question

Hi, /Wayner,

This is a decision you will have to make for yourself. It sounds like a lot of work for one day at the International--especially the driving through Chicago part.

A rally schedule is posted on the WBCCI web site here:

Here are the pros and cons as I see them.

1. You will be getting there just about the time everything is winding down. A lot of folks leave before the July 4 weekend so the spectacle of massed trailers will be somewhat diminished by gaps in the lines.

2. There is not a whole lot going on except for the flea market and unit picnics. If you have a cell phone number or two for members of your unit who are there it would be a big plus. They could meet you someplace and squire you around, and you could attend your unit picnic. On account of its size it takes me a good day just to get oriented at the International.

3. The parade is not as big a thing as you might suppose. It takes place indoors (walking units only) and last year as I recall only about 25 units participated.

1. This year they are having a general open house and a second Vintage open house on July 4, a great idea. The Vintage open house is always one of the high points of the rally and both the general and vintage open houses will provide an opportunity to meet people and "talk Airstream".

If you decide to go, remember to take your WBCCI badge with you.

If you don't go, the International will be in Gillette, WY next year--I suspect a little closer to you.

Best regards,
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Mesquite , Texas
Thanks Nuvi --

I finally decided the 10 hours or so of driving just wouldn't be worth it for just one day of hanging around. If I would have been in Milwaukee instead of Indiana this week, it would have made more sense.

I am certainly planning on getting to one of these things soon. If nothing else, I can say that I've been.

wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio

Ohmigosh, I read your first post again and realized that you would have been up there July 3 rather than July 4!

In any case, I agree with your decision. Would have been a lot of work for one day, and there's not much happening on July 3.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
My flight from Chicago to Madison took around 30 minutes, so did my cab ride from the airport to the rally site.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote