Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: When will everyone arrive?
Friday- August 15 3 25.00%
Saturday- August 16 1 8.33%
Sunday- August 17 (Official Registration Day) 5 41.67%
Arriving late during the week. 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #101
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Travelers to Canada be aware...I just read an article that US customs, on the way back into the US, can seize electronic gear for no reason...this includes laptops, iPods, PDA's, etc.

Here is a link to the Yahoo article. The text of the article is included below:

U.S. agents can seize travelers' laptops
Fri Aug 1, 7:31 AM ET

U.S. federal agents have been given new powers to seize travelers' laptops and other electronic devices at the border and hold them for unspecified periods the Washington Post reported on Friday.
Under recently disclosed Department of Homeland Security policies, such seizures may be carried out without suspicion of wrongdoing, the newspaper said, quoting policies issued on July 16 by two DHS agencies.
Agents are empowered to share the contents of seized computers with other agencies and private entities for data decryption and other reasons, the newspaper said.

DHS officials said the policies applied to anyone entering the country, including U.S. citizens, and were needed to prevent terrorism.
The measures have long been in place but were only disclosed in July, under pressure from civil liberties and business travel groups acting on reports that increasing numbers of international travelers had had their laptops, cellphones and other digital devices removed and examined.
The policies cover hard drives, flash drives, cell phones, iPods, pagers, beepers, and video and audio tapes -- as well as books, pamphlets and other written materials, the report said.

The policies require federal agents to take measures to protect business information and attorney-client privileged material. They stipulate that any copies of the data must be destroyed when a review is completed and no probable cause exists to keep the information.

(Reporting by Paul Eckert, editing by Alan Elsner)

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna View Post
Travelers to Canada be aware...I just read an article that US customs, on the way back into the US, can seize electronic gear for no reason...this includes laptops, iPods, PDA's, etc.

Here is a link to the Yahoo article. The text of the article is included below:

U.S. agents can seize travelers' laptops

(Reporting by Paul Eckert, editing by Alan Elsner)

well I guess then those with laptops coming up from the States will be giving up their 30 amp spots then to protect all those secrets on their laptops

Sorry could not resist....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
I highly suspect we will all get into Canada with our laptops intact.
myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #104
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt View Post
I highly suspect we will all get into Canada with our laptops intact.

Think you might just be missing the point - it ain't Canada where the issue is - it is getting back into the US....
Old 08-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
I read the article and understand the concern is with the US side of the border. My experiences with crossing into and out of Canada have been pleasant on both sides. I find that being polite and honest gets you through with little delay. These guys are just doing their jobs.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #106
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Us too - have travelled lots not just in and out of US.....and that really is the best policy - "nothing to hide - nothing to be afraid of" .

If you ain't on the list you ain't gonna be hassled.....

Have all your papers in order no matter where you live and all will be well.

Read up on the present issues - whether they be guns, or dog breeding issues, food issues or what ever the countries officials decide to make their next news - us little peons have to obey....

We are just the traveling pawns out for some Airstreaming fun - so don't let the news scare ya to bits....besides there is lobster waiting and we Canadians can't possibly eat them all
Old 08-03-2008, 07:38 AM   #107
the biggoofball is mine

1973 27' Overlander
1972 Argosy 22
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Beautiful Southern Connecticut , Gateway to NEW ENGLAND Unit
Oh Canada, please unplug me from work . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt View Post
I read the article and understand the concern is with the US side of the border. My experiences with crossing into and out of Canada have been pleasant on both sides. I find that being polite and honest gets you through with little delay. These guys are just doing their jobs.
Thanks for the info . . . I'm undeterred.

I will take my chances. Much as I would love to unplug from work all week, I will need to check-in. Too bad Canada doesn't have the same policy for incoming.

I'll back-up my data before I leave, including my outlook .pst file because I couldn't possibly live without my email history since it's also my Customer Relationship Management tool -- which isn't pretty.

Michelle, do you have any experience with connectivity up there? All of my wireless service is AT&T global connectivity. I plan to visit their website to investigate coverage.

Heck or High Water, I'm there. Laptop and Crackberry too.

If my electronics get seized on the way back, then I guess i'll have a real vacation until I get replacements. Hmmmm...I wonder how honest and forthright I should be?

Allie
Allie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #108
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by oph-rv View Post
Thanks for the info....Too bad Canada doesn't have the same policy for incoming.

....... Hmmmm...I wonder how honest and forthright I should be?

Allie

Watcha mean? I know that if I am traveling with some important electronic items I have an option to declare to the Canadian Customs at the time of entering the States - we just pop over the road and run in and tell them we have abc and would not like any hassles when we come back....ie purchase or where the origin or this and that. They give us a little green declaration card with the details and we present that when we return. Does the US not have the same procedure available?

I used to do it with my camera equipment back in the early days of international travel.

We did it a few years back when we picked up the Overlander - we had the wheels and tires with us and wanted to declare them as they would stick out like a soar thumb on and old looking trailer coming back in. It also helped if when we crossed at the US line and they might be a bit suspicious of us say Importing goods for trade - we have the card and purpose already declared and stamped by the Canadian side and all is good. (We had forgotten to do that with the two we brought with us to pick up the LadyBug Last year and on our return the wheels were the subject of question as their value was much more than the value of the trailer in the customs eyes.....so it attracted too much attention.

The biggest kick I get out of the US side is the look on their face when I say I have at times cases of wine and spirits for the Rivettes - "say what"? "Girly drinks for the Girly Rally" Airstream Rally that is. They always give me a smile of interest and wish me well on my trip - we have never had a poor crossing into the US in all our 25 years.

Us like you have had more questions returning than entering - and that is where it is so important to have your papers on all your toys in good order.

At least you are not subject to taxes when you return - consider yourselves lucky

Why Canadian tax the tax that is on the tax and then tax you for talking about the tax and if you talk to much about the tax you will be taxed more tax.

Well if any of you get stuck and need a place to hang out till the US let ya back in - come on up and sit in the Kawarthas for a while no tax on the courtesy parking sites up here.... look forward to meeting you all.... or at least a few if possible so many coming to the Rally
Old 08-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #109
the biggoofball is mine

1973 27' Overlander
1972 Argosy 22
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Beautiful Southern Connecticut , Gateway to NEW ENGLAND Unit
Red face Whatcha mean....It was a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963 View Post
Watcha mean? I know that if I am traveling with some important electronic items I have an option to declare to the Canadian Customs at the time of entering the States - we just pop over the road and run in and tell them we have abc and would not like any hassles when we come back....
I was just joking...looking for a way to really get outa work for a few days. I work remotely so if I can't connect I'm pretty much out of business. It would be nice to be really our of reach for a few days.

Perhaps it was a bad joke...I have a dry, sarcastic sense of humor. Appreciated by many, loved by few. Thankfully, my family and friends enjoy it!

I look forward to meeting you at PEI.
Allie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #110
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
If I looked hard enough on Yahoo News we would find that Airstreams can cause impontence in males over 32! Don't believe everything you read, if you are a lawabiding (sp) travels enjoying a summer vacation with the normal amount of electronic stuff US Customs will leave you along. Now if you are trying to smuggles RV sewer hsoes into Canada you will have a problem.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #111
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi View Post
If I looked hard enough on Yahoo News we would find that Airstreams can cause impotence in males over 32!

that explains it!! thanks Dr. Rick!!
Old 08-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #112
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi View Post
If I looked hard enough on Yahoo News we would find that Airstreams can cause impontence in males over 32! Don't believe everything you read, ....
Yahoo was just an outlet. It was reported initally by the Washington Post and now has been picked up by all the news agencies.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I pity the poor agent who has to review the contents of my computer: Airstreams, dogs, trout and skiing. He'd fall asleep if he was looking for something Homeland Security-worthy.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #114
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Everyone

Here is another article on the Rally from Summerside on the other side of the Island.

Summerside The Journal Pioneer: News | Band of 'silver bullets' shooting toward P.E.I.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Hi Everyone

Here is another article on the Rally from Summerside on the other side of the Island.

Summerside The Journal Pioneer: News | Band of 'silver bullets' shooting toward P.E.I.

Andy
Very cool & Thanks for sharing....I'm getting excited !!
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #116
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Mansfield , Massachusetts
Great article! You all are going to have a grand time! We wanted to join you, but were only able to get off the last week in August. We are going to be taking one of our dream trips and going to Cape Breton. Perhaps we shall see some of you as you head south and we head north!
corgikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:47 PM   #117
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Okay Okay - we have made the commitment and have decided that there is way too much Aluminum not to miss on the Island while we are there at the same time.

So the good ole has steered us right to the Oyster Bed Bridge for some laughs good times - great food and entertainment.

We will be rolling in on the Sunday and staying for the full week.

We are taking the week ahead to come on down through Vermont and run the coast of Maine up to Fundy National Park for a few days.

After the Rally we are continuing to spend 6 days on Cape Breton Island then unfortunately have to head home for Peter to go back to work. (hmm I could just put him on a train and stay out there forever

This is our first big trip with the new CCD (well new to us anyway) and first time out not in a Vintage Trailer - so it should be interesting - we will not know what to do with everything working all at once

Here is the crew...yes I know that is the problem when you are behind the camera all the time you never get a full family shot - a well planned approach....

That smile is now permanent - shot taken the day following the unveiling of our little Silver Anniversary Present on our shakedown trip to Algonquin Park.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pete with Girls.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	65134
Old 08-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #118
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Woot!! can't wait to see you!!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #119
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Mansfield , Massachusetts
Peter and Sharon,
We will be in Cape Breton the same week that you are, and camping in Cheticamp to start. If you see a 27 FB being pulled by a Blue Ford 250, no numbers on the Stream yet, please wave or come by and say hello!
Kat and Crew
corgikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #120
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
I think the might just be a huge " aluminum bread crumb" trail spotted all over the Eastern Provinces.

It should be great fun to pull along the road and see everyone - the poor SOB's will think they have been invaded.

It quite possibly will be the time we will see the most airstreams at once - on the Canadian side - our last explosion of Aluminum was the winter of 05 at the Sarasota Rally.

Next biggest would be a couple of the Ontario Unit Rallies with over 70 trailers.

And like wise if you see a little silver ModPod towed by a charcoal grey old style body Yukon -with a White Golden riding shotgun centre - that would be our crazy setup and you must be sure to honk wave and forces us off the road for a chat and a nice cool drink! If we are camped pull you chair with you and an empty glass and we will be sure to top it up.

We might be doing a stretch of the Cabot Trailer with a Painted lady by our sides - Happy Campers Annie and Marvin also have loose plans for the Cabot trail after the Rally.

Anyone out there have plans for Fundy National Park before the Rally???