Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
On the Road to Du Quoin

Last year when we hit the road to Gillette I started a thread that I kept updating until we arrived back home in Phoenix 3 weeks later.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...tte-65833.html

Next week we are headed to Du Quoin, IL and I will try and post as much as I can as we travel.

I am still looking at different routes, but we will be stopping at 102 Siemers Dr, Cape Girardeau, MO. You will have to google that one to see why.

I am open to all suggestions as far as routes and sights to see along the way. The first stop will most likely be Enchanted Trails RV Park in Albuquerque, NM.

Hope you enjoy the trip this year...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I am still looking at different routes, but we will be stopping at 102 Siemers Dr, Cape Girardeau, MO. You will have to google that one to see why.
?

White Castle...?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Have a great trip, Richard & Jan...and tow safely! Represent your 4CU happy campers well at International! We know you will!
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Richard, how many miles is your trip from there?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:

You're picking up Harold and Kumar?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
On the Road to Du Quoin

Greetings Richard!

If you are traveling up from the South, you will likely be passing through Sikeston, Missouri (about 45 miles South of Cape Girardeau -- located between Interstates 55 and 57). Sikeston has one of my favorite restaurants in the region -- Lambert's Cafe -- Home of Throwed Rolls.

Among the sights that I would recommend is Fort Defiance Park in Cairo, Illinois. This park may be some worse for wear following the Spring floods, but it affords a spectacular view of the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers. Cairo is also home to Shemwell's Barbecue, and they serve a very popular pork barbecue sandwich with a spectacular home-made sauce and cabbage chow (if desired).

Just to the North of Cairo, you will encounter Mound City; home to Mound City National Cemetery where you will find the final resting place of soldiers dating back to the Civil War.

Not quite on the route, but a place to see if you are a Superman fan is Metropolis, IL about 45 minute Northeast of Cairo. The town defintely has the flavor of the mythical Metropolis of the comic book and movie series.

When heading North from Cairo, IL or East from Cape Girardeau, MO; you will pass near or through Jonesboro, IL. Jonesboro is the county seat of Union County, IL and was also home to one of the Lincoln--Douglas Debates. The park where the debate took place is a pleasant place to visit and has historical markers commemorating the debate. Jonesboro is also home to my favorite local barbecue, Dixie Barbecue where they feature hickory-smoked pork barbecue with their own home-made sauce.

Anna, IL is the community immediately adjacent to Jonesboro, and along its Main Street (IL 146) you will find several homes dating to the Civil War era as well as the home where Lincoln stayed the evening prior to the debate. Also, for World War II buffs, Anna is also home to the burial site of King Neptune the pig that was repeatedly auctioned off to raise funds at war bond rallies during World War II.

To the North of Jonesbor, you will find the picturesque community of Alto Pass; home to the Bald Knob Cross of Peace. This spectacular porcelain-enamel-clad cross rises above the Southern Illinois countryside on one of the highest points in the Southern part of the state. The cross was conceived in 1937 by Wayman Presely and the Reverend W. H. Lirely, and they were instrumental in promoting the building of the structure through donations from listeners to a nation-wide radio broadcast as well as from many residents of the region. The cross has just completed a major restoration project that returned it to its original glory. The cross is truly something I would suggest seeing (about 90 minutes South of DuQuoin).

A few miles to the North of Cairo (about an hour South of DuQuoin), you will find Makanda, Illinois; home to Giant City State Park and Lodge. Giant City Lodge is well known for its Southern Fried Chicken as well as Chicken and Dumplings served family style every day of the week. The park is very rugged with some wonderful hiking trails as well as some favored rock climbing area.

Something that is completely off of the route that you are planning, but might be of interest is Popeye's Hometown in Chester, IL. Chester is the hometown of the creator of the Popeye comic strip, and the evidence of the town's attachment to this character can be seen everywhere.

Another attraction that is somewhat off of your route that would be of interest to those who like to bicycle on well-maintained trails, is the Tunnel Hill State Bicycle Trail in Vienna, IL.

One suggestion that I will make, is to come prepared for hot, humid weather. We have had heat indexes over 100 degrees three days this week already and it appears that this pattern is expected to continue well into the future. We have had some rather severe Spring flooding so some attractions may not be totally accessible. IL route 3 from Cape Girardeau to Ware, IL is in an area prone to seep water so you are likely to see some high water -- and be prepared for some construction delays between Cape Girardeau and McClure, IL. You will encounter less construction and less high water if you switch over to Interstate 57 at Sikeston, MO.

Enjoy your excursion! This year, I will only be traveling 60 miles -- shortest distance yet to attend an International Rally.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
And there's also the Village of Cobden, IL home of the Yellow Moon Cafe, anthill Gallery, a number of local farms and orchards, and trailhead to a dozen award winning wineries on the Shawnee Hills Wine Trail. Cobden is about 5 miles north of Anna on Old Hwy 51 and about an hour due south of Du Quoin.

Home | Shawnee Hills Wine Trail

Yellow Moon Cafe | Cobden, Illinois | Yellow Moon Home

anthill gallery & vintage curiosities

Explore Cobden Scroll towards the bottom of the page to see a listing of local farms and orchards with stands and shops.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Hey, you two going to be able to stop by up here?

Lynn
Old 06-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #9
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The White Castle thing is something that Jan and I look forward to whenever we travel back east. Jan's folks were from Indiana and when they traveled back on vacation they always stopped as soon as they could smell the onions. I was raised on the east coast and I miss those little belly bombs as well.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. We will be going to Giant City Lodge one night for dinner after we arrive at the rally site. Superman and a couple of the others look like great places for day trips and we are also hoping to get a lot of bike time in as well.

Lynn - We are looking at the possibilities of spending a night with you on the return trip. I will give you a call after we hit the road on the 5th of July.

Richard

Old 06-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I just got back from Cobden. We went to the Mennonites (Weavers Market). Rib eye steaks for $4.00 and all kinds of homemade bake goods, jelly, jams, and the list goes on.

We saw many, many airstreams on the road going to Illinois and coming back from Illinois. Folks must be heading out early. My airstream is at Bonnaroo in Manchester. My son is borrowing it for a few days and then we are heading back to Illinois. I should be in the Duquoin area during the ralley. We would like to check out the trailers. We are not members so I hope we can get look at the trailers.

It was hot and humid when we were in Illinois. I was drenched in sweat the whole time I was working outside.

Brian
Old 06-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
The White Castle thing is something that Jan and I look forward to whenever we travel back east. Jan's folks were from Indiana and when they traveled back on vacation they always stopped as soon as they could smell the onions. I was raised on the east coast and I miss those little belly bombs as well.
So we can take it that this is the nearest White Castle?

We don't have them here either. Maybe it's the heat in states that start with "AR"

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Enjoy.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
So we can take it that this is the nearest White Castle?

We don't have them here either. Maybe it's the heat in states that start with "AR"

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Enjoy.
I believe the next nearest White Castle is in Arnold, MO just South of St. Louis. The White Castle in Cape Girardeau has only been there a few short years. It is located on the edge of the WalMart SuperCenter parking lot at the intersection of Route K and Interstate 55 (Siemers Drive is the access road for WalMart and several other stores and restaurants if my memory is correct).

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #13
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
There is also one in Farmington, MO which could be another option...

Richard

Old 06-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Jackson , Missouri
You could eat at both White Castles. In Cape and Farmington. We call them belly bombers around here so you could really have some gas. Both are busy places.