Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Crestview , Florida
Newfoundland 2013

Anything I need to know last minute. Traveling to Newfounland with the WBCCI caravan: husband, wife and a small dog. Have never traveled to Canada with our Airstream. Thanks...
Libo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
See you there. Never been to Newfoundland before either. Should be a great caravan. Have been to western Canada with the trailer. No real issues. We did get searched at customs once. So did one other trailer on the caravan. You do need all the paperwork for the dogs shots, etc. Passports. No firearms or defensive sprays. I see your trailer is pretty new. I have to get my propane bottles re-certified before we leave. But they are good for 10 years from new. Check your health care insurance situation for Canada. Last time I bought some additional trip insurance. Going to look into that again. Getting prescriptions filled was a problem last time. Going to try to take enough for the trip. I would think we will get some instructions from the leaders? We were on standby and just got on for sure, so I might have missed some mailings along the way.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
We traveled there in the summer of 2010 with our 2010 F150 pulling the 30' Classic/slide. We got on the island in early June which is about a month too early. The scenery everywhere is fabulous from the icebergs in the north to the birds in the southeast. We hoped to see many moose but only saw 4. Unexpectedly we saw 5 black bears. People are friendly!!! Campgrounds ranged from bare gravel to very nice. Many appeared to be peoples yards or even a pasture-like area a few times. As far as prep goes get your cell phones on a plan for international calling. Bill mentioned most of the other important things. As I recall, there wasn't much open on Sundays except for restaurants and tour boats, etc. They accept plastic money but gas was full serve and no pay-at-the-pump. For the ferry ride reservations dont fudge on the vehicle length measurements!The attendants will measure your rig. We were by ourselves and didn't try to reserve the ferry until 3-4 days before the time we wanted to go. That was a mistake. We needed a week. I imagine the caravan leaders are way ahead of me on this! Enjoy the trip! We were there 3 1/2 weeks and that wasnt too long. We went from the SW to the NW - but not to Labrador - then across to the E and SE with trips both N and S mixed in as we crossed the island.
Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Don't forget to read the list of banned items, going and coming back, yes they do look in the refrigerator.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Crestview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
See you there. Never been to Newfoundland before either. Should be a great caravan. Have been to western Canada with the trailer. No real issues. We did get searched at customs once. So did one other trailer on the caravan. You do need all the paperwork for the dogs shots, etc. Passports. No firearms or defensive sprays. I see your trailer is pretty new. I have to get my propane bottles re-certified before we leave. But they are good for 10 years from new. Check your health care insurance situation for Canada. Last time I bought some additional trip insurance. Going to look into that again. Getting prescriptions filled was a problem last time. Going to try to take enough for the trip. I would think we will get some instructions from the leaders? We were on standby and just got on for sure, so I might have missed some mailings along the way.
I don't think you missed much, just general caravan do's and dont's: wear comfy shoes, don't socialize while hitching up and don't arrive early at campgrounds but nothing specific to this caravan. Also there is a preliminary itinerary. E-mail me if you don't have it and I'll get it to you.
Libo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We've never been checked going into Canada but coming back were checked one time. NO CITRUS fruit allowed coming into the US. Ironically they found 2 lemons in our refrigerator and they had come from home. Didn't matter. They didn't care about the other things we had only the lemons.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote