Old 07-10-2004, 09:24 AM   #43
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3237
Attached are my comments - in .pdf .txt and .doc formats. If you are unable to open one please let me know. I will email you directly.

thank you.
John Truitt
WBCCI 3237
John, I agree with a lot of the things you stated in you comments. One of the things you touched on was using Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts for a couple of things. I wonder if the WBCCI could utilize them at "registration time"? After everyone is parked, you need to be with your coach at a certain time, the Scouts could then go door-to-door and do the paperwork at your trailer, and hand out official schedules at the same time. No waitng in lines just to register. These kids can move a lot faster than we can, and if there were enough of them, they cold get it all done in a couple of hours. Late arrivals would still have to walk to a designated point to register, but that could be spelled out in the confirmation that is sent to us, so there would be no surprises.
I think it would be a good idea if the Parkers would ride with the rigs in bad weather. Most of us don't walk fast enough to keep a rig from being bogged down in mud, and if a Parker was riding with, they could direct us safely from within our own vehicles. It may take longer, but there would be less need for dragging someone out of the mud, less walking for the Parkers, and less chance of damaging a coach. This way they could also allow enough room (time) between rigs to, um, "speed" through soft areas without worrying about running over someone.
These are ideas in addition to yours, that may or may not work, but even if they don't work, they may get someone thinking.
Terry

Old 07-10-2004, 09:54 AM   #44
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Chuck and John,

I know one of the most frustrating things is a lack of pre-rally information. My Region 3 President, Ken Cook sent me the preliminary Region 3 rally schedule and I know that the fact that it was posted here was a factor on getting quite a few members to attend.

To that end I have asked the International Rally publications chairman to send me the PRELIMINARY schedule, I will post it here, and will keep it as updated as possible as we approach 2005 in Springfield. This is a step in the right direction and I think if we continue to ask for changes and information with a reasonable tone the powers that be will come through. They want the rallies and the club to prosper too.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 10:02 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
Lansing wbbci rally

we were at the Lansing rally for one day. we borrowed a friends booklet with the rally schedule, and was surprised to find that we did most of the activities at the Florida rally.
and the Lansing activities were spread out, most at the down town site . our trip was also to visit other sites in Michigan. the wifes roots. after reviewing the rally activities we did visits all over Michigan and didn't get them all completed. we stayed at the cottonwood camp ground and visited the mud hole one time. we did walk the the classics . we really enjoyed the old units. sorry to say the AVERAGE AGE OF THE WBCCI is a little beyond me and my family. I'm old in my sixties. dont think i will be at the next one. we liked the florida rally and be there next year. every thing is in one spot.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:23 AM   #46
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3237
Attached are my comments - in .pdf .txt and .doc formats. If you are unable to open one please let me know. I will email you directly.

thank you.
John Truitt
WBCCI 3237
JT, BRAVO!
Thanks for the effort and all that you have brought to the table.
Ken Smillie
WBCCI 12499
"Still Working"
Old 07-10-2004, 12:16 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
Outstanding analysis

John,

I read with great interest your thoughtful reflection on this year's International. While we have yet to attend an International, next year's will be virtually in our back yard, and we're beginning the debate of whether or not to attend.

We attended the 2003 Region 8 Rally and experienced many of the same issues you illustrated so very well. My parents (!) and my husband and I were among the youngest attendees; we felt entirely out of place with our vintage trailers, Labradors, and firewood for campfires; and we were actually relieved to get back to work following a rally that felt more like work than a vacation. We will likely never go back, which is unfortunate for both us and our unit and region; many of us in the younger ranks of the WBCCI on whom the organization will depend in future years are the same ones who feel alienated during and disappointed in WBCCI events.

We have just begun restoration of our 1949 Liner, and I always begin restorations with a great deal of research. It's saddening to me in the course of this research to see just how far removed today's WBCCI is from the days of Wally and Stella. Gone now from WBCCI events is the sense of adventure and the encouragement to travel off the beaten path and experience our surroundings with the comforts provided by durable and elegant trailers and the support of fellow adventurers. It has been replaced by the safety of ritualized events, the expectation to sit in meeting rooms and halls rather than encouragement to be a tourist, and rally sites filled with massive motorhomes and trailers have never seen an unpaved road or a secluded campsite in the woods.

Beyond the ubiquitous berets, I doubt Wally would today recognize the organization that bears his name or the events he helped create. How different would the WBCCI be today had it stayed on the course it began in the late 1950s?

Molly
Old 07-10-2004, 12:40 PM   #48

keep your head up....

I read with great saddness how your trip went....I have been looking for some feedback on the trip as it is to me, something I would have done time willing for me and my family. We are young to the camping experience as a family but I come from a childhood filled with such wonderful memories. I have to say.....I attended a non-member rally in calistoga california, and we to were among the youngest. My sister, her two young children, myself and my son. (Dads had to work and my airstream is my obsession). We were certainly among the young however I did meet this extremely knowledgeable lady who has certainly been around the camping,airstream loving,always moving community. Anyway, we had a great time and yes we may not always fit in, however we are like you said....the next generation. We can better the situation and some people that look so hard on the out are super soft on the in...keep trying and hopefully shared knowlege will come our way. Good luck. jlmaggio
Old 07-12-2004, 09:07 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
I think I just figured out the BCCI stratagy. It is a club for very very old people.

When you or I turn 75 or 80 years old, then it will be appropriate for us to join. The club won't die because there is always a new "batch" of people comming of age every year.

Well, let's see. I am 48 years old with a 2 year old and a new born, I guess I will be "eligible" to join in the year 2031.

See y'all then.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:42 AM   #50
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreilly10000
I think I just figured out the BCCI stratagy. It is a club for very very old people.

When you or I turn 75 or 80 years old, then it will be appropriate for us to join. The club won't die because there is always a new "batch" of people comming of age every year.

Well, let's see. I am 48 years old with a 2 year old and a new born, I guess I will be "eligible" to join in the year 2031.

See y'all then.
you're too old to have a newborn.

I think the international gives an unrealistic view of the club's demographics. yeah, sure, there are alot of older folks. The attendance at the international gives the impression that it is ONLY older folks, and I don't think that's true. What is true is that retirees are the only one's that have the time to travel to, from, and attend such a long event.

check out the pics from last year's region 1 rally: http://www.wbcci1.org/pictures/caperr03/page1.html

you'll see a different mix, for sure. We kids of all ages in attendance, including 2 4-month old babies.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:54 AM   #51
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreilly10000

See y'all then.
Figuring? Talkin out the wrong side of mouth again................
Guessing at age demos and membership criteria is not necessarily a good practice by some here on the forum.

I joined at age 37 and my wife at 27. There are no eligibility restrictions that I know of. When and if some are still Airstreaming 20 years from now, we will still be welcoming new members. I suspect that some will not be there. We will miss them Oh, and we too are expecting a new born any day now.

Its a shame that some cast stones without even knowing where the stone is headed.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:08 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Alternatives or Else IMHO

Not sure it is at all important what I think about all this.

But I have pushed attending the "big one" way down on my list of things that I "must do" with my Airstream.

Even if every thing went smoothly, I just don't get the attraction of 7-10 days in the middle of a field with questionable hookups as one of 3000 families taking tours of some nice but average northern community. And playing "houseparty" games, attending poorly thought out "seminars", being looked down upon for one reason or another, etc, etc.

It makes alot more sense to me to concentrate on the much smaller impromtu, and perhaps the regional or unit rallies.
The problem is I think (and I am guessing here) that the "Big One" is partiallly underwritten by everyones WBCCI dues. So all members subsidize something that many have NO interest or Opportunity to partake in.
But I suspect that "Headquarters" would not think of shipping any of that money down for the smaller rallys. If that is right, then the end is coming.sooner or later. There is going to be a need for the VAC (or a new vintage group) to break free of the WBCCI and another need for a whole new group for the non-vintage newcomers and the dis-satisfied current owners. Whether those two groups need to be co-joined is debatable too.

I would gladly pay the WBCCI just to belong to the VAC if my local units were to my liking. But they would have to make me very happy and comfortable and wanted feeling. Only then might I forget about the "subsidizing" of some far-away geezer gathering that doesn't know or care that I'm even alive.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:24 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
you're too old to have a newborn.

You're right

But it was either "now or never" for me. My wife is 10 years younger than me, though. This is the "first family" for both of us. No regrets
Old 07-12-2004, 12:34 PM   #54
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadeo
The problem is I think (and I am guessing here) that the "Big One" is partially underwritten by everyones WBCCI dues. So all members subsidize something that many have NO interest or Opportunity to partake in.
But I suspect that "Headquarters" would not think of shipping any of that money down for the smaller rallies.
This is not the case. The International rally is a stand alone rally and little if any of the club's general fund is used to put on such an event. In fact all rallies are expected to stand on their own financially. Unit, Region, Special event, and International alike.

Quote:
There is going to be a need for the VAC (or a new vintage group) to break free of the WBCCI and another need for a whole new group for the non-vintage newcomers and the dis-satisfied current owners. Whether those two groups need to be co-joined is debatable too.
This group is what I feel will be the new core of WBCCI. The issue is not changing the club into something new. It is a matter of performing a Restoration on the club and making it back into what it was. A weekend fun time camping club that had a bit of structure but most of all had fun. There are a core group of us in the club that think this way, and we are looking for input. The rally report that is part of this thread is the well reasoned information we need to hear.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 12:41 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
Figuring? Talkin out the wrong side of mouth again................
Guessing at age demos and membership criteria is not necessarily a good practice by some here on the forum.

I was just responding, somewhat sarcastically I admit, to the eye witness report of 3237 about the International Rally in Lansing Michigan.

His report, along with other comments made here in this thread are not encouraging for younger people like me to attend International Rallies.

Regional rallies seem to be a different story.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:03 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadeo
The problem is I think (and I am guessing here) that the "Big One" is partiallly underwritten by everyones WBCCI dues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
This is not the case. The International rally is a stand alone rally and little if any of the club's general fund is used to put on such an event. In fact all rallies are expected to stand on their own financially. Unit, Region, Special event, and International alike.
I think we are saying the same thing.
I guess if ANY is used then my point speaks for itself. A little here and a little there adds up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
This group is what I feel will be the new core of WBCCI. The issue is not changing the club into something new. It is a matter of performing a Restoration on the club and making it back into what it was. A weekend fun time camping club that had a bit of structure but most of all had fun. There are a core group of us in the club that think this way, and we are looking for input. The rally report that is part of this thread is the well reasoned information we need to hear.
Well that's promising, but not practical.
The quick fix would be to just start over with a new club. That way the old guard would not get in the way, you would not have to wait for attrition (death) to have new thinkers in ALL the positions. The old guard would still have what they have cultivated and deserve to control.
Whatever the assets (non financial) could be duplicated and hopefully shared.
It is the only logical way IMHO. None of this should have to be contentious. It is not we against them, it is just two different worlds that can only collide in the short run. If all went well the old group should welcome the new but separate group. I'll bet some of them would join the new too.
If folks like you have loyalties and or torn at leaving old aquaintances, then join both the old and new groups.

Personally I would not rush to use former WBCCI officials as officials in the new groups either, although there is undoubtedly much knowledge there.
Alot of the let's "wait and fix the old" rhetoric is no more than turf protection I am afraid.
Why should anyone who owns an Airstream have to wait to find a group that suits their wants....NOW.
Maybe it's time.

BTW I meant no disrespect with the term "geezer gathering" . I love the seniors and have learned so much in many areas from many of them.