Old 07-06-2004, 10:19 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Thanks Shari, yes, it would be an honor to caravan with the VAC and Denver Unit. It would be our first caravan!

Old 07-06-2004, 11:55 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking That's a HOOT~

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
i really would like to see that....perhaps you would find the burning man rally more suited to you......
norby
norby,
If I live long enough....That's one place (event) I MUST visit~!~
From the pictures I've seen, NOTHING can quite top this event~
<sigh> First I gotta get this 64GT fixed, road worthy...
Back to this thread's intent...
Springfield Intl...
My wife's folks are from St Joseph, MO., I can't tell you how many eggs I've BURNED cooking them on the sidewalk in JULY...Hot, HOTTER STILL and, you wanta try camping with no A/C??

It gets so hot, that even a dip in the river is no darn fun~!
I can remember staying one summer in Hermann, MO., picking the hot, black tar off the side of my 67 Firebird, because the road surface were so soft from the heat. (That was no fun~)
Will I come to the Intl?
I'd love to get back to MISERY, excuse me, MO.
In July?>
I'd love to meet/see everyone from the Western section of the USA.
I better get back to work on my project..Got my POR-15..
ciao
53FC

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 12:02 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus
Thanks Shari, yes, it would be an honor to caravan with the VAC and Denver Unit. It would be our first caravan!
We'll count you 'in'!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 12:15 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Just a thought~

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
It would be a good idea, if you attended an event you didn't like, for whatever reason, to also suggest what you think would be better. I know from personal experience that sometimes these events get put in the program because the organizers aren't sure what the attendees want to do.
While I don't think cow-tipping will ever be an accepted rally event, I am sure there are some things, that if you suggested them, may go over well with the powers that be.
Terry
Terry,
Might I suggest a "MOON PIE" throwing contest?
You reckon??
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:47 AM   #33
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
WBCCI International Rally/Burning Man Event...

I think Norby's on to something here... hmmm... merge the International with Burning Man?

yeah, yeah... THAT's the ticket!!!

Roger
Old 07-07-2004, 06:54 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
What a business opportunity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
I think Norby's on to something here... hmmm... merge the International with Burning Man?

yeah, yeah... THAT's the ticket!!!

Roger
Let's see, average age of attendees at the International is what?......(insert guess).

Figure if I invest in about 10 ambulances and crews - I should be able to keep 2 busy with heat stroke victims - the other 8 will surely stay busy with straight-up old fashioned stroke business brought on by what they see............hmmmmm.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 11:24 AM   #35

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
Let's see, average age of attendees at the International is what?......(insert guess).

Figure if I invest in about 10 ambulances and crews - I should be able to keep 2 busy with heat stroke victims - the other 8 will surely stay busy with straight-up old fashioned stroke business brought on by what they see............hmmmmm.
My wife and I have talked about the same thing. We have heat warnings here when the combination of heat and humidity reaches a certain point. They always warn about making sure the elderly are in a cool place and to check on them. Then we look at the reports of the International's and the luck they seem to have (except this year) of getting to sites that have had extremes of temperature. We often wonder what the number of heat related sick cases are.

If you go to Springfield spend the extra $$ for the electric sites. It's the best money you will spend down there!

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 04:44 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
We just pulled in today from our trip to Lansing. I have to chime in with thenewkid64: the rally was as much about seeing friends and making new ones, as it was about the organized activities.

I have found that the rallies are what you make of them, especially the big ones. We attended none of the evening entertainment (Boots Randolph? PUH-leez!), but somehow managed to stay busy every night. The youth program kept my daughter busy Tuesday through Saturday. We had planned a bunch of side trips and even after ten days on site we left with half a dozen places still on our list.

Yes, I have a list of improvements to suggest to WBCCI, and I plan to submit them through the proper channels (and in some cases, volunteer to help solve the problems). My list includes: better Internet access for those of us who are still working and/or use laptops to stay in touch; schedules printed or made available online in advance of the rally so we can plan; and more "first-timer" information with FAQs about the rally operations (when pump-outs occur, how to register, clearer explanation of arrival procedure, rally-site rules, etc.).

But overall, I have to say if you didn't have a good time you probably weren't trying. The weather was fabulous from June 25 through July 3 -- sunny, breezy, and generally cool enough to be comfortable without A/C until the end of the week. There were daily potlucks in the vintage area, dozens of regional and unit events, many happy hours, and plenty of comraderie.

We were one of those parked down the road at the defunct bowling alley without hookups (which offered all the charm of boondocking at Wal-Mart without the Wal-Mart) -- but we tried to roll with the punches and eventually it all worked out just fine.

BTW, the rally was an excellent opportunity to talk with folks from Airstream who made themselves available to answer questions all day long, including (Chairman) Larry Huttle, (President) Dicky Riegel, Tim Champ (branding/marketing), Dave Schumann (parts/service/warranty), Rob Shook (Quality Assurance), Bob Wheeler (Engineering), and numerous folks from the service and parts departments.

It's what you make of it.

-- RL

PS: I saw the following people from this forum: Edie G, thenewkid64, DPeakMD, overlander64, grogan, Dr. C, wheel interested, dinoburb, and probably a few others. It was great to meet you -- or see you again!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:37 PM   #37
1963 Globetrotter

1963 19' Globetrotter
Detroit , Michigan
Thank you all for your support.

Attached are my comments - in .pdf .txt and .doc formats. If you are unable to open one please let me know. I will email you directly.

thank you.
John Truitt
WBCCI 3237
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WBCCI Response.pdf (81.6 KB, 180 views)
File Type: doc WBCCI Response.doc (77.5 KB, 134 views)
File Type: txt WBCCIResponse.txt (20.8 KB, 87 views)
Old 07-09-2004, 11:01 PM   #38
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
John,

I have to say "well said".

You put a lot of thought in to it and I hope they will take the information to heart. Know that you are not alone in your concern for the club and future Internationals.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 07:20 AM   #39
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Very impressive. It brings to mind what Ghandi said many years ago.

"The customer is the most important visitor on our premises.
He/She is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him/her.
He/She is not an interruption in our work. He/She is the purpose of it.
He/She is not an outsider in our business. He/She is a part of it.
We are not doing him/her a favour by serving him/her.
He/She is doing us a favour by giving us an opportunity to do so.
"
- "Mahatma" M.K. Gandhi
GStephens
Old 07-10-2004, 08:32 AM   #40
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
John,

You obviously thought this out. Thank you for taking the time to encapsulate what many probably choose to overlook or ignore. I cannot think of a more awful Airstream experience. We would have pulled out after seeing the tractors at work, never to return.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:39 AM   #41
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
John, just wanted to let you know that your experience was not unique. I experienced many of the same things last year. I could not attend the entire rally; we only had a couple of days, with a newborn baby. But since the big rally was being held nearby, we thought we should seize that opportunity to check it out.

So we had "a couple of days"...which days should we go? trying to find out exactly what was happening when, was just as you found it: like pulling teeth. Look, SOMEone put together that schedule, and sent it out to the printers WEEKS in advance. That information should be avialable as soon as its finalized, and published on the website. There are probably lots of people like us...only going because its close by, and want to investigate the wally club...if not for a couple of very chance occurances, that could easily have been our first and very last look at the wbcci. And I'm willing to bet that every year, there are many local potential new members that wind up being a missed opportunity for the club.

Anyway, I wanted to spend the short amount of time we had seeing something that might be of interest. I even called Jackson Center to try and get a schedule...they didn't have one. the nice lady sent me one from the previous year. all they could do was give me a sample of the types of things that may or may not be happening. that, too me, pretty much sums it up: they don't get it.

I had the exact same experience trying to gleen information out of the Blue Beret in the months preceeding the rally...fact is, there IS no information in the BB. A series of wonderful articles about how nice Vermont is. I *know* all about Vermont. What I DON'T know about is the &#$% RALLY!! Same thing this year. "Gee, Michigain is Cool, ain't it??" yep. I'm sure it is.....

Now certainly, the majority of activities are going to be aimed at the older crowd, and they should be. That's the largest demographic at the rally, so it only makes sense. But I wonder if the demographics are so heavily skewed because this group is the only one with the time to attend, or because the event(s) are only of interest to this group. ?? Ok, for the sake of argument, we'll go with the former...but if you want to attract new members, you'll have to make yourself attractive. throw us a bone. This once a year event is a major recruiting opportunity, and they waste it, every year it seems.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 09:05 AM   #42
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Terry,
Might I suggest a "MOON PIE" throwing contest?
You reckon??
ciao
53FC
Work gloves would be a requirement to participate in that event.
Terry