Old 06-23-2003, 07:41 PM   #15
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Dumb luck

So I've been hemming and hawing about going up to see the rally...haven't been able to get any solid plans due to the fact that we have a new baby in the house, and the wife ain't keen on extended trips. we're still pretty new to camping...and now new to parenting, too! anyway, finally got the green light, so I called up a place in Burlington to get a site. I was actually able to get a full hookup site for 3 nights. can you believe it? at this late date....lucky me!!
haven't even had a chance to do anything with the camper yet...but I'll have the whole weekend to get it ready, then we drive up on Monday. see you there......

Old 06-24-2003, 03:23 PM   #16
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Wow

My mother-in-law lives in Burlington VT she emailed my wife cause the ralley has made the local paper and news. 1600 trailers are there or expected.

Makes the Rocky Mt Ralley we went to last weekend in NM look like a tune up.

>>>>>>>>>Action

Old 06-24-2003, 03:38 PM   #17
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
so...why aren't you coming? sounds like you got a free parking spot... It would give you a chance to escape all that dry heat

I'm sure the whole rally thing is going to turn alot of heads. VT is not a very busy place...even in Burlington, the "big city" , (lol) I'm sure it'll be quite news worthy. the uninitiated will probably think that the aliens have landed when they notice all the silver twinkies everywhere they look.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:53 PM   #18
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Space twinkies - Aliens

C,

You got that right! However VT is a "fur piece" from AZ and I got this little thing that is gittin' in the way called work!

My mom in law loves me and she would let us park in So. Burlington or on the island of So. Hero in a heart beat.

Burlington is small. Heck the state only has a population of 6 to 700,000. That would be a nice suburb of Phoenix. (Most locals would say, "And that's too many"
Old 06-24-2003, 05:10 PM   #19
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Work? what's THAT all about?

I didn't think VT's population was that big...I know it goes back and forth with WY as the least populous state. I thought it was around 500,000 total. (now I'll have to go look it up). Last I read, Burlington is about 30,000. The old joke is that there are more cows than people in VT...but I think a few states make that claim.

I was thinking of trying to get a spot out there on Grande Isle, but turns out I didn't have to go that far. I noticed on the "north beach" website, (the campground is run by the city parks and recreation department) that they don't start taking reservations until May. So I thought..Hmmm...I bet all those people that allegedly snapped up all the local campground sites booked over a year ago. I be nobody bothered with this one. so I decided to call them first, and lo and behold...got me a full hookup site.

ahh, the great thing about RV's is that I can pretend that I'm camping, and the wife can pretend that she's not. LOL!
Old 06-24-2003, 05:41 PM   #20
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
W**K

C,

You know, that it's a 4 letter word! And its' 3:30pm now. And I am sitting in my chair. So I must be doing something to get paid.

So good luck to you and your parking choices.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-26-2003, 07:16 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
I signed up for the international rally early and received a guaranteed parking pass if I arrived at the Rally on the 25th or the 26th. So I figured yesterday was a great day to play hookey from work and I drove the trailer to Burlington. It's about a three hour drive from Manchester, NH. Vermont is such beautiful country to drive through. I left the trailer at the Rally and drove back home last night. My wife and I will return on Friday evening.

I have never seen so many airstreams in my life. Old and new, short and long, and people from all over the country. I thought that by getting there on the first available day for parking I would be one of the first ones there. Wrong, some people have been there since the 15th. I'm in section Blue 1 row 5. As I look up and down the row, the thing I notice most is all the Hensley hitches. Airstreamers love Hensley's. The other thing I noticed is all the flags. WE NEED A FLAG FOR AIRSTREAMFORUMS.COM. If anyone makes one, I'll buy it. 3X5 is the size we need.

The other thing I've noticed, I have to put my numbers on my trailer. I've been a member of WBCCI for three years now and I have yet to put them on, maybee this weekend.

It appears WBCCI runs a very efficient show and I would suggest everyone to try to take in one of these rally's. There is much more and better information about the caravans and smaller rallys than provided in the Blue Berret.

It's sad I have to go back to work, I would have liked to have stayed and enjoyed the festivities.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:56 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

I was reading a post from Hunter on another list & she said they are having record breaking heat. Most hookups don't have enough power to run a A.C. unit. Seems like that has been the case the last couple of years. I've been a WBBCI member for 3 years now & haven't attended a National rally yet. Every year I'm glad I didn't go because of the heat. When will they have a rally on the west coast where it might be a little cooler?
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 01:08 PM   #23
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
"The coldest winter I ever experienced was a summer in San Francisco" --Mark Twain

yep, its hot here today...but its going to be really nice this weekend. 70's, and dry. next week, the extended forecast for BVT is high 70's/low 80's. According to the weather channel, the average high for July is 81; average low is 60.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:38 PM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim W
I was reading a post from Hunter on another list & she said they are having record breaking heat. Most hookups don't have enough power to run a A.C. unit. Seems like that has been the case the last couple of years.
One year it was a giant hailstorm!

We had one of the International VP's at the Region 8 rally this year and one of the things commented upon was the need to provide full power. One member who has an engineering background volunteered to help come up with the logistics of designing a power grid that would be supported by portable generators.

Let's be honest. We know enough about heat alerts in St. Louis and its effect on elderly folks that you can't continue to take seniors and put them in these kind of temperatures. Personally I wouldn't tolerate it and I will not attend an International and stay on the official grounds unless electric is present. If I do go it will probably be like most of the members in our unit who stay in private campgrounds in the area.

I would like to see the International folks do a study as to what the cost would be to provide enough electical service to run A/C units.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 10:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
most rallys they have a "cant do with out my generator area" . dont know if they have it layed out that way this year . i think the rally would cost too much with full power. that is probably the mind set on power. the sixt region rally is a limited power rally. and it is going to be held in chattanoga tn . hot days cool nights.
with all the activities going on during the day, most folks arent in their coaches. dont know why anyone would want to go to the trouble to go to a rally and stay in their coaches, but i see that all the time. vermont should be great only wish i could get away from alabama and attend. wife still works and that is a big obsticle to getting ten or twelve days free. lol
al
Old 06-27-2003, 10:32 AM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
From what I heard there is a generator area for those equipped.

It may be too expensive but one of our folks with experience in this area feels it could be done at a reasonable cost. I would pay the additional $$. I think a good start would be to do a test area at a future International where generated power was available. Those who would pay the additional fee could be in this area. I bet you it would fill as soon as reservations were permitted.

Last report I saw from a person up there, it was 102 in their trailer. Supposedly it is going to cool down in the next day or two.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 10:50 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by wb13798
hot days cool nights.
with all the activities going on during the day, most folks arent in their coaches. dont know why anyone would want to go to the trouble to go to a rally and stay in their coaches
Some of us have pets in the trailer. Some of us have asthma or other breathing problems, and need a break from heat and humidity. Some even need a nap in the middle of the day. Even if you don't have these problems, it can take a LONG time for the thermal mass of the trailer and stuff in it to cool down.

We will specify on every rally application that we need either 30A power or a generator-allowed site for several of these reasons.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:41 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I wonder how they made do on those caravans in Africa, that Wally led? I have seen pictures with all vents and windows wide open. It still had to be close to 100 in there! I think I would have ended up sleeping outside under the stars!

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote