Old 06-04-2005, 10:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
I'll work up some things to see and do on the way into Springfield in a couple of weeks or so.

Mark
Ok, so its been two months. We've sold the house and moved, for the first time in 20 years. I've been busy.

A few things to do on the way to the International (or at least within the last couple hundred miles of Springfield):

From the north - Arrow Rock Mo., and State Park. See whatís playing at the live theater at the Lyceum (its repertory, see the website http://www.arrowrock.org/). The Katy trail. Bike or hike almost any portion of this trail for outstanding scenery. The trail runs from just west of St. Louis to Clinton, Mo., with trailheads at many different communities. Check out the Thomas Hart Benton mural at the Missouri State Capitol in Jefferson City. Shop at the outlet mall in Osage Beach, or spend a day or two enjoying the various amusements on and around the Lake of the Ozarks. Ha-Ha-Tonka State Park (no camping) is a wonderful half day experience.

From the northeast - Others can advise on St. Louis attractions. Everything from the 2004 and 2005 pennant winning St. Louis Cardinals to the excellent St. Louis Zoo (free, mostly). Meremec State Park. Hermann and Washington, Mo., for antiques, German food, wine tasting. Bennet Springs State Park and trout hatchery (camping and trout fishing).

From the East - Johnson Shut-Ins State Park. Elephant Rocks State Park. Big Spring.

From the Southeast - Mammoth Spring in Thayer, Mo., and the associated Grand Gulf state park (no camping).

From the South - Hiking, camping, floating on the Buffalo River. A bit out of the way for almost anyone is the unique community of Mountain Grove and the nearby Ozarks Folk Center (http://www.ozarkgetaways.com/). Branson, but you know about that. Eureka Springs, Ark.

From the Southwest - Devils Den State Park in Arkansas. Bull Shoals Lake. Pea Ridge National Battlefield. Roaring River State Park and Trout hatchery ( Cassville, Mo.) for fishing, camping, hiking.

From the West - Fort Scott, Kansas. The old fort is still there and is well presented. Figure out a way to be in Golden City, Mo., on US 160 around noon for lunch at Cookyís. Anyone can direct you, itís a small town. The important thing is to order the pie FIRST. You will see them all just as you come in the door. No matter how much of your favorite is there, do not count on it still being there after your meal.

From the Northwest - Kansas City. There is a semi-pro baseball team there. The most exhausting zoo I have ever visited. The Starlight Theater is pretty neat, though. The steamboat museum (http://www.1856.com/) is supposed to be pretty good, but Iíve not yet seen it. Watkins Mill State Park is a great place, but reserve your campsite, even for week nights. Take the tour of the mill, unless it is just unbearably hot. Weston Bend State Park is a great place as well with a very small, but very nice campground. Stop in at Osceola Cheese on Mo. 13 just north of Osceola for free samples of very good cheese. Bring me about a pound of baby swiss (ok, not everybody).

Iíve mentioned several Missouri State parks. See http://www.mostateparks.com/.

Mark

Old 06-04-2005, 10:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Some may have noted a glaring omission above, i.e. The Precious Moments Chapel, gift shop, conference center, campground, Lady Di gown collection, and so on, all just 50 miles west of Springfield, four or so miles north of I-44, just west of Carthage, Mo.

Either "Precious Moments" and Sam Butcher mean a lot to you, and you will want to visit, no matter WHERE you are coming from, or they don't, in which case wild horses could not drag you there. See http://www.preciousmoments.com/ if you have any doubts as to which category you fall within.

Mark

Old 06-06-2005, 07:40 AM   #17
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
Springfield Bound To-Do's

j54mark

I appreciate your many posts on "things-to-do" in Springfield and the State of Missouri, these useful tips will helpful on this trip and future trip planning!

Thanks again,
Old 06-06-2005, 09:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
A caveat.

Quote:
I comment here on only those roads within the last 200-300 miles of Springfield, Mo., for those bent on traveling here for the International, or any other reason.

From the Southwest, Dallas: US 69, US 75, I-44. All or nearly all four lane now. Toll road on I-44 to Mo. border.

Mark
US69 through Oklahoma is the roughest road I have travelled in years, especially north of Muscogee. So rough, that my spice rack disintegrated on the latter stretch. I'll never willingly use that road again.

Last trip up to the Tulsa area, I took the Indian Nation Parkway. About $10 toll and not the best road around, but a lot better than US69. You then can take the fairly new Creek Turnpike to avoid the Tulsa area for a couple more $1.30 tolls.

My favorite way north across eastern Oklahoma is US259/US59/US271. There are about 15 narrow and curvy miles right at the south Oklahoma border, then broad 2-lane with shoulders and no traffic north through the beautiful eastern Oklahoma mountains. Few towns and only one mountain to climb with the reward of a great view from the top. That gets you up to Fort Smith with the recommended I-640 and US71 on up to I-44.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 12:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
US69 through Oklahoma is the roughest road I have travelled in years, especially north of Muscogee. So rough, that my spice rack disintegrated on the latter stretch. I'll never willingly use that road again.
I've driven that road so many times that perhaps I am oblivious to its condition. However, there has been a lot of work on that stretch of road over that last several years, and it doesn't seem that bad to me. I-44 through most of Missouri is worse, in my opinion. However, there too a lot of recent work has made it ever so much better.

I do know some people prefer to take US 75 from Dallas to Tulsa and then I-44 (toll) on up. For those who have not been through in the last few years, US 71 from Ft. Smith to I-44 is no longer the death trap it once was. Four lane (mostly), well paved, easy driving.

Mark
Old 06-06-2005, 12:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Us 69

Any work on US69 would have to be since last July. That's when it disintegrated my spice rack and moved everything in the trailer around. Everything in the wardrobe was on the floor. Big Cabin on I-44 to Muscogee is the worst stretch by far for roughness.

A lot of the 4-lane sections below Eufaula that were quite good a few years ago have been transformed by the big trucks into the "thud-thud-thud" variety of pavement nowdays. Still better than the north section.

US75 through north Texas is great, although Dallas is one of my "avoid if at all possible" cities. Most of us take I-35W through Fort Worth and then cut across to US75 to avoid Dallas.

Odd! I didn't find I-44 through Missouri to be that bad. Not the best, but acceptable at least.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-06-2005, 04:33 PM   #21
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
Oklahoma to Missouri or bust, maybe Arkansas?

How fast do you tow on 69? I pull the 34' to Springfield about once a year, although 69 is not good, I have'nt had interior problems that were noted but I tow about 45-55 along the stretch from McAlester to Big Cabin.

This year we are considering 75 from Dallas, 69 to Vinita, 60 to Neosho, 71 to Joplin@ I-44 to Springfield. Since we are planning a overnight stay, this may offer a different view. Hope so! Anyone familier with this routing from Vinita to Joplin?

What about from Dallas, US 75 to US 69 at Dennison, to US 70 at Durant, to US271 to Fort Smith?

Thanks and regards,
Old 06-06-2005, 10:26 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker
How fast do you tow on 69? I pull the 34' to Springfield about once a year, although 69 is not good, I have'nt had interior problems that were noted but I tow about 45-55 along the stretch from McAlester to Big Cabin.
I tow at 55 to 60. I tried several speeds to try to minimize the pitching, but I couldn't find a comfortable speed.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-07-2005, 10:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker
This year we are considering 75 from Dallas, 69 to Vinita, 60 to Neosho, 71 to Joplin@ I-44 to Springfield. Since we are planning a overnight stay, this may offer a different view. Hope so! Anyone familier with this routing from Vinita to Joplin?

What about from Dallas, US 75 to US 69 at Dennison, to US 70 at Durant, to US271 to Fort Smith?

Thanks and regards,
US 60 from Vinita to Neosho offers nothing new in the way of scenery. Your second choice would be much more interesting - eastern Oklahoma is one of our nation's most unappreciated scenic spots. Or use John's suggested route above.

Mark
Old 06-07-2005, 11:26 AM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
I-44 through most of Missouri is worse, in my opinion. However, there too a lot of recent work has made it ever so much better.

Mark
A lot of work going on Missouri highways this year so far due to a major reallocation of gasoline taxes. Supposedly they are going to be resurfacing lots of highways to improve the "smoothness". We have seen some of the paving projects on I44 here in St. Louis. Not the typical where the road is in need of repaving, but instead to smooth out the road. There is a project starting soon on I-55 south of STL where they are going to be using grinders to make the concrete more uniform.

BTW, I-44 is known for fast trucks. Speed limit is 70 but most of the independents seem to cruise at 80. Watch your backside!

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Speed limit is 70 but most of the independents seem to cruise at 80. Watch your backside!

Jack
Sounds like fuel is still too cheap.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Newsletter forms?

Does any President of WBCCI have a form for the newsletter and roster to be entered in the annual contest that they would be willing to share? I may have gotten one but I don't recall seeing it. Thanks
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 06:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
Does any President of WBCCI have a form for the newsletter and roster to be entered in the annual contest that they would be willing to share? I may have gotten one but I don't recall seeing it. Thanks
I have one...I can scan it & send it to you later tonight. PM me if I forget ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.E. Milliman
Mark can you tell me where the rally site is going to be in Springfield?
I was out by the rally site this morning, and my understanding of the location was a bit off - by a couple of miles!

If coming in on I-44, take the 744 exit (exit 85? 86? The one between US 65 and the Strafford/Mo 125 exit.). Exit going south to OO. At this intersection you should see rally signs. Do not turn on OO, but continue on across the tracks going south (On Farm Road 119). Continue south about 600 yards to FR 112, and turn left (east). The rally site is on FR 112, about 3/4 mile from FR 119.

From US 65, I'd still go on up to I-44, then east to the next exit (744). But you could get off at the 744/Kearney street exit, then go east on 744 about two miles to FR 119.

Mark