Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2005, 11:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
How was International?

It would be nice, for those of us who couldn't attend, to get a report on the "happenings" at International this year. So, how was it? What were the highlights from your perspective?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:18 PM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
they must still be on their way home.

either that, or there wasn't much to tell.

maybe a little of both??

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:41 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck

maybe a little of both??

Either that or they are stuck in the massive traffic jam on I-44 southwest of St. Louis. I saw one early departer yesterday eastbound on I-44 around 7 PM or so coming into the southwest outskirts of town.

It figures the rally breaks up and the cooler weather comes in for the next week. I still think that concentration of aluminum has some kind of effect on the local weather clime. How else do you explain the 100+ temps up in Vermont a couple of years ago??

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
...So, how was it? What were the highlights from your perspective?
I too am interested as I wanted to attend, but was not sure if would be a good family event since my Boyz are both preschoolers.

I look forward to hearing how it went.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I was a bad boy I got out two days early, just pulled in the driveway. It was a good rally, quite a few vendors, Airstream had tent full of parts and goodies. The local dealer had a good display of trailers and motorhomes there. There was a 34' with slide special WBCCI 50 year unit there. It was quite impressive with its gold and silver wheels. I attended the IBT meetings and it was voted on to add the name airstream to the WBCCI name. The actual name change will be voted on next year. Edie won the drawing for a beautiful handmade quilt. Branson was a neat place to visit and we spent one entire day there from 8 am to 10:30 pm. We saw a couple of shows and a lot of traffic. The 30 amp electric really made it nice, the temps were in the mid 90's and our tin boxes tend to get warm when left in the broiling sun.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:44 PM   #6
TorpedoFamily

Currently Looking...
2014 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ozark , Alabama
Exclamation International

Our family of Airstreamers attended the International rally and enjoyed it. As one of the younger members of WBCCI I feel that a overhaul of the activities is warranted. The people parking, answering questions, checking on your problems and breaking it down did an OUTSTANDING job. My hat is off to their dedication. I look forward to seeing what comes from comments with suggestions for improvement. We are still on the road home.
Torpedo Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Torpedo family, what activities would you like to see overhauled? We are planning next years rallys for our club and would really like to hear your input.

Rick
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck

maybe a little of both??

As of 5:00 pm today, July 5, there must still be close to 100 units still on the campground. I assume a substantial number of these people are there to "tear down".

I suspect a lot of the others are still on the road. A great many coaches were to be seen in and around Springfield all day today.

Mark
Old 07-05-2005, 09:05 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
We're still en route home but staying at a great campground in Illinois with free WI-FI access. You can't beat that! Anyway, we had a GREAT time at the rally. We paraded in and parked with the Vintage section. They are a group of fun-loving and interesting people! We also enjoyed the Airstream tent, vendors, new airstream displays, many informative talks, and just the general camardarie with so many who have our shared interests. The Vintage Club had an open house which was attended by many. They also had a nightly happy hour! On a couple of evenings there were open-air talks at the 30 amp campsite by the Vintage Club Historian on Airstreams down through the years. Those were extremely interesting. We didn't see a lot of the shows, choosing to spend our time mingling with friends and having a great time. We'd definitely be going to Salem, OR next year if we could find the time for such a long trip....
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Just a quick peruse of the forums...

after a 14-1/2 hour drive home today (yesterday?) I'm off to bed. I'll post my 'first impressions' later today ~

Nite-nite...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:01 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
How was International?

The WBCCI International was a great experience for me, as have been the past six that I have attended (the only one that I have missed since 1998 was the Vermont International Rally). In many ways, the International is like a big family reunion -- you arrive knowing that you will see many very good friends, numerous acquaintances, and have the opportunity to make many new friends and acquaintances. I arrived home after a relatively short and relaxing drive along US-60 (290 miles) -- almost no traffic, minimal construction issues, and excellent scenery -- my departure time from the Rally parking site was 9:45 a.m. with arrival at my home at 3:10 p.m. -- followed a "Classic 345" Motorhome (with either North Carolina or South Carolina tags) from just East of Springfield for about 75 miles; then followed a pair of Vintage Airstream trailers from just North of Sikeston (one had Kentucky tags), MO to Cairo, IL.

The weather was hot and humid, but that was to be expected -- my home is 290 miles East/Northeast of the Rally site and I was fully prepared for the weather and had pre-registered for the 30-AMP Vintage parking area. We escaped massive issues with mud this year; and with some light rain fall along with a spraying regimen, dust wasn't the problem that it might have been. The parking field for 30-AMP was level and provided wonderful home-base for exploring.

Socializing below awnings was the theme of most late afternoons/early evenings. There were numerous workshops, demonstrations, meetings, and programs to attend -- it was possible to be as busy or relaxed as one wished to be during the Rally. Fred Coldwell's Vintage Airstream presentations were a great way to spend an evening in the Vintage Parking area -- the discussions following the presentations were also quite interesting. The WBCCI Computer Club also had a number of workshop/training sessions that were quite well attended. The Fowlers (Fowler Interiors) offered their presentation on interiror care issues, and several of the other vendors also offered presentations on their products and services.

Each year, it seems that more families are attending -- at least in the Vintage parking area. There were a several families in attendance with children in the six years and under age range as well as several more with school-age children as well. The WBCCI Youth Committee had a number of activities for the teen and pre-teen youth in attendance.

There was no question in my mind regarding next year's International Rally in Salem, OR. At my first opportunity, I pre-registered for the 30-AMP Vintage section.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
The last 18 days...

What I want to share is my own personal experiences & observations...I apologize for the lengthy post ahead of time, but I want to share my impressions while they are still fresh in my mind and don’t want to gloss over and just say ‘it was great’.

To begin with, I was a bit skeptical of this whole ‘International Rally’ thing...not knowing what to expect, imagining all the horror stories I had heard of coming true. Those of you that I have met me, know I am not a formal, pomp & circumstance type person. Much to my surprise, I am walking away with a much better understanding of the whole club and the traditions that are held onto...some more tightly than others.

I started off my journey with courtesy parking on my way to Springfield with some old friends in Salina, KS and then with Mr. & Mrs. 'Silver67' in Leavenworth, KS. Also had the chance to meet 'Eljay' & her hubby who came to join us for dinner...great fun!

Okay, so after a 14 hour drive over three days, I finally arrived at the rally site...what an amazing sight to come up over the rise and get that first glance of the "Silver City"! I arrived on June 21st and parked in the Gold Section designated for the Unit Presidents, Regional Officers & International Officers. I felt a little out of place in my tiny little vintage unit amongst all the newer trailers & huge motorhomes! But, being that I was going to re-park with the VAC later in the week, I was parked in a primo spot on the end of a row, right by the main road, to make it easier for me to relocate mid-stay...I sure couldn't complain about my site, that's for sure! There’s a shot of my view below. I was told time and again by everybody I met that they were using my little trailer as a directional marker on how to find them. Lots of lookie-loos curious about the shiny little trailer...the early workers were wonderful and very helpful to this first-timer...especially when they realized I totally green and by myself.

The toughest thing for a first-timer was knowing what to do...everybody else around seemed to know the routine and they seemed to be rekindling old friendships with those they had met at previous rallies...I didn't know but a handful of people that had arrived earlier than I, but wasn't sure how to locate them. With over 900 rigs already parked, it was a bit overwhelming. Now I know, there is a locator board, it’s updated every other day or so...but as a newbie, you don't really know anything until after registration...which wasn't for another three days. So I had lots of time to get orientated with Springfield, rested & settled in and wandering around looking at all the trailers. That was really nice, because once the rally officially started...I didn't have time for that luxury!

There is so much to do...whether you chose to do any or all or none of it, it's entirely up to you...unless you represent a Unit in some form or another like a President or Delegate or something, then you are expected to take part in certain activities representing your Unit. Even the obligatory events I attended were interesting and fun...I always seemed to find a friendly face or two or ten to hang out with!

The 'official' activities...like the Opening Ceremony, Delegates Meetings & Seminars were not nearly as 'silly' as some folks have made them out to be...yes, there were lots of people, young and old, in berets...but it really wasn't a big deal. Yes, I even wore mine to the Opening Ceremony while participating in the Presentation of the Flags...

At the Delegates Meeting there was lively discussion about the candidates, changing the club's name to include 'Airstream' in it and also to modify the Bylaws & Amendments, one of which I had to present regarding the wording to 'officially' grandfather in vintage trailers without grey tanks into the club. That was a bit intimidating...but I am proud to share that both these changes were voted in unanimously. It really does feel good to be a part of change...

On Sunday, VAC gathered at a nearby fairground to caravan in together...that too was a sight to behold! It's amazing how long the 'parade of 50+ trailers was! Yes, the separation between the 3 amp & 30 amp sections was less than desirable...but we all dealt with it. The VAC Open House on Wednesday, was wonderful as always!

It was amazing to me how often my path crossed with several forum members…seemed like everywhere I went after the rally was in full swing there was a familiar face with a AirstreamForums button…thanks Edie! We got together on Tuesday evening for a great Italian dinner…but it was a quickie, as a bunch of us arrived late and others left early to make it to the evening’s entertainment.

The biggest frustration for me, was how far the Expo Center was to the campsite…it took about 30 minutes each way…which is no big deal unless you had to go back and forth a couple of times a day…which I usually did. I understand that in Salem, OR next year it won’t be so remote. I put an additional 750 miles on my truck during my stay…by the end of last week, I just wanted a time-out! So I took it…

Happy Hours were always the best…just hanging out with friends old and new under the awning sharing beverage and a snack…we usually just moved into dinner, then sat around & recapped Fred’s vintage presentations informally or watched the Cape Town to Cairo caravan movies. If vintage trivia wasn’t your thing…there were always gatherings at various trailers you could join in or take in the entertainment in town.

The highlights for me were:

• The Delegates meeting, which is very surprising as I am not a politically minded person
  • The Vintage Airstream Intra-Club Concourse de' Elegance in which Maxwell was awarded a Gold Merit Award for 60's decade trailers
  • The Denver Unit winning the Best of Show for the Bulletin Board
  • Being elected 2nd VP of the Vintage Airstream Intra-Club
Not a bad first experience at all! As a matter of fact, I am really looking forward to my next International in Salem next year…hope some of you will decide to give it a chance.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arrival.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	13194   Click image for larger version

Name:	360-1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	13198  

Name:	360-2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	13199   Click image for larger version

Name:	360-3.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	13200  

Name:	dinner spot.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	13202   Click image for larger version

Name:	view out the screen.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	13203  

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 07-07-2005, 05:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Nice write-up's! Thanks for sharing!

InsideOut -- can we see what your winning bulletin board looks like?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:54 AM   #14
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Post Thanks ...

Shari,

Thanks for taking time to 'fill-us-in'.

Your descriptions encourage me to make the trek to attend next year on the 'left side' of our great country.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:06 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
The highlights for me were:
  • The Delegates meeting, which is very surprising as I am not a politically minded person
  • The Vintage Airstream Intra-Club Concourse de' Elegance in which Maxwell was awarded a Gold Merit Award
  • The Denver Unit winning the Best of Show for the Bulletin Board
  • Being elected 2nd VP of the Vintage Airstream Intra-Club
Not a bad first experience at all! As a matter of fact, I am really looking forward to my next International in Salem next year…hope some of you will decide to give it a chance.

Shari
Shari, sounds like you had a blast. Although, with all that oversized aluminum around you making your trailer look small, it looks like the flags on your coach will make it tip over if you get a high wind...
Were you able to get in to town at all, or were you pretty much at the rally site the whole time?
Old 07-07-2005, 06:18 AM   #16
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Thanks for "Shari" ing

Shari,
You have literally made me so envious and at the same time upset with myself.

I had oppurtunity to be a part of this event also. I was supposed to attend and give a seminar on "Still Working" aimed at the working attendees. I was invited by the International Rally Committee.

I opted out at the last minute to make room for alternative plans made by my wife .

I am envious that you had oppurtunity to be an integral part of history, "The Golden Anniversary", and I thank you genuinely for your contribution (s) to our Family. Without folks like you, we would have no future.

My hat is off to you!

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Nice write-up's! Thanks for sharing!

InsideOut -- can we see what your winning bulletin board looks like?
Actually, I don't think I have a picture with my camera...but I know one was taken by Forrest as his wife was the creator of the board...hopefully he will post one. I believe they are still on the road taking a lesuirely way home ~

Shari

Old 07-07-2005, 07:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Shari, sounds like you had a blast. Although, with all that oversized aluminum around you making your trailer look small, it looks like the flags on your coach will make it tip over if you get a high wind...
The wind DID bend one of our flag poles...the center one with the two flags. We 'normally' fly smaller 2'x3' flags, but not wanting to offend flag protocol we switched to 3'x5' so our US Flag would not be smaller than the President's flag which is 3'x5'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Were you able to get in to town at all, or were you pretty much at the rally site the whole time?
I actually spent a lot of time in town at the Expo Center where most of the activities were. The enticement of A/C there was enough to make the 30 minute drive each way worthwhile.

Shari

Old 07-07-2005, 07:46 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
What a great write up. Pics an A+! Sounded more along the lines of what we're interested in.....very promising to say the least. Thanks for sharing the info!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Great recap, Shari--congratulations on all the achievements!

Any idea whether Salem, OR is the last International?

Also--I just see a blank box titled "attached thumbnails." Is anyone else not seeing the photos?

Mary