Old 02-26-2008, 06:47 AM   #1
Refurbished 89 Excella

Sugar Valley , Georgia
Help clear up WBCCI Ntnl Rally questions

Hey............My wife and I have been using our Air Stream for several years now and having visited the Georgia Rally last year for a day thought we would go to the one in Bozeman this year.................Just went to the registration sight and frankly, am in sticker shock...........

6 Days of this event is $285?????

Do I get fed????

Electric is an additional $255????

I might get 3 amps of electric service?????

Water is daisy chained from trailer to trailer?..........What is pressure like at the end of the chain???

My 9 years in the Army was more than enough regimentation for a life time.......do I read between the lines and is this thing REALLY run by a majority of folks that need to be autocratic and and down right old fashioned????

I guess my question is...........this is a lot of money to be spending in order to be with like minded folks.............when the only like mind is that we share our love of A/S............Not much else.........Is a 62 Y/O independent thinker gonna enjoy this ....Dennis

Old 02-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Evergreen , Colorado
I think you get 30 amps not 3 amps., and I have heard they are useing some large generators. If this is true then this could ad to the expense. It appears to me that there is alot of planning taking place here.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Yes it would be nice if some people who have attended in the past could tell us first timers what to expect.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
Refurbished 89 Excella

Sugar Valley , Georgia
Allen..........on the "tips for first timers" page there is reference about only getting 3 amps............not to argue but just want to know what to count on......Yes, this is Montana and is probably very cool so no need for A/C........is that what the plan is?
Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have not been to a International in Bozeman but I have been to them in Bismark and Rapid City and I can tell you it can get warm (over100 F) during the day in the trailer without air conditioning. You get 3 amps for "free" (included in the original rally fee) and that is enough to run some fans and a small TV. The schedule is usually very busy during the day so you spend most of your time in air condition buildings attending seminars and early evening attending entertainment in air conditioned arenas. If you are old and spend time in the trailer during the day, you may need to spend the money for air conditioning. Hospital stays due to heat stroke are very expensive. The club pays a pretty high price for the facilities they use, and with the reduced amount of people showing up over the last 5 years, the cost per trailer has gone up. Additionally they are not allowing us (at most locations) to put wash water on the ground, so the cost of setting up and operating the sewage system has really gone up. Even though there is likely to be less than 2,000 people show up for this rally, I am sure you can find interesting people to interface with and will find it enjoyable if you attend. Come early and visit the many nice sights in the area and stay late and enjoy many stops on your trip home. Water pressure has never been a problem for me. The trailer only needs 30 psi to make the shower work and you want to minimized the amount of water you use so Navy type showers are a must, if you do not want to overflow your holding tanks.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Last summer when we were camping on the Yellowstone River, day temps were 100+ and we used our a/c. With elevation, temps were cooler, but I'd check past records before ruling out a need for a/c at Bozeman, Montana, in July. I guess this depends on your comfort zone as well. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:59 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Evergreen , Colorado
DK, I think you are paying the extra $225 for the 30 amps, please let me know if I am wrong. We, at this point are planning on attending, hope to see you there. Yes, the temp. in Montana can get into the 90's that time of year.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Hey it's the International. It's always 100 degress no matter where they are at!

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Bring a pigtail for your electric cord. Sometimes it is impossible to get 4 plugs in the box together without an extra length to accommodate for the clearance of the plugs. 3 amp would run all your 12 volt appliances and keep your batteries charged but not your AC, televisions are run without problem. If you consider 3 amp I got an Endless breeze free standing fan from fantastic vent and it helped alot to move the air and make high temperatures more tolerable.

Always have your fresh water tank filled. Before your row is completed or when someone leaves early there may be a break in the daisy chain. Extra length of hoses and y connectors are needed.

I think you have one catered meal on the weekend included.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #10
Refurbished 89 Excella

Sugar Valley , Georgia
I guess I need to bite my tongue. But just so I understand what I am getting into................

One is provided a 3 amp circuit for the rally fee............that perhaps one can plug into if the box isnt too crowded. Otherwise one pays $250 for a 30A. Yes, I know that it gets hot there. Yes, I would attend seminars; but perhaps I want to just hang out in the trailer for an afternoon.......Yes, we have 2 fantastic fans already................
Big question.........are there 2 areas?.........One for 3A and one for 30A?

How often is the septic dumped????

Yes, I can run off of my fresh water tank and in fact I guess I should plan on that.........a cap on my hose at the Y would keep the daisy chain going......

Thanks for the input..............MORE???
Old 02-26-2008, 10:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Here is the first timers guide
http://www.wbcci.org/documents/ACF4834.pdf
The volunteers and your neighbors will make sure you get all set-up with water and electricity.

Yes there are separate sections for generator, 30amp, 3 amp, vintage , and pets and president's row, handicapped, etc. You will get a sign to put in your tv window, like G or P to aid the parkers to get you in the right section. It is quite easy to get "lost" before you get your bearings. It's BIG! And you may not see the grounds for the Airstreams about you.

Probably 2 pump outs scheduled and you will know when, during that time and they come to your trailer and pump out. There is also a dump station you can use upon leaving.

I have two fantastic vent already but the 2" wide 12" fan blades of the light compact unit can dry that "dew" right off your face and be positioned any where. It's got some real "G" force. lol

photography
Old 02-26-2008, 10:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
And bring all kinds of noshes and beverages and your chair. Once you settle in, small groups sprout up and gather together from your immediate areas to socialize between the closely parked Airstreams, (you have about an awnings width plus) You will receive many impromptu invitations from wonderfully friendly new friends. Then there is a bulletin board you can check if you make your way to the buildings and there are all kinds of posted gatherings and happy hours to attend, like forums, or units, intraclubs, etc. All are welcome at the vintage section tent and that is a good time for sure. Lots of members do not attend the programmed activities and just hang out and have fun meeting each other from all over the country and looking up old friends. There also exists a locator board and you can see what section others are parked in.

Touring the vintage trailers during Open House is my favorite not to miss activity as is their parade into the grounds! Don't miss the vendors, and Airstream "store" and the new models display.

You might want to bring your bike to tool around or prefer to do a lot of walking since parking is crowded. There are shuttles as well.

photography
Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow
<SNIP> Yes, I can run off of my fresh water tank and in fact I guess I should plan on that.........a cap on my hose at the Y would keep the daisy chain going......

Thanks for the input..............MORE???
Remember, it should be an unobstructed Y to allow the free flow of water. The kind sold in the garden section of your local WallyWorld will not do, the valve portion necks down the diameter of the pipe and bunches of these greatly effects the flow of the water. Go to Home Depot (or your favorite box store) and go to the plummbing isle. There are nice brass Y's there that are full inside diameter and have no valves. A little high in price - about $10, but eveyone will be happier.
Attached Images

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
yes they are vehement about that along the daisy chain, though it means you have to run down the lane and turn off the main and everyone's water to connect and disconnect and they want 5/8" diameter hose or you will get fussed at. I place an additional one with shut-offs to my hose to the Airstream. Bring a cap for the Y too it comes in handy before others arrive or when others leave.

photography