Old 08-29-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Great Pumpkin harvest Moon Youth Rally

Kids of all ages are welcome to join us at the Bald Mountain Campground in Townshend, Vermont. Sites have water and electicity and dumpstations on site.

We will be camping over the Coumbus Day Weekend Oct 6-9th.

Highlights of the weekend will be a trip to Adams Family Farm in Willimington, Vermont where we will take a hayride out to the largest bonfire in Vermont. We will hear original New England ghost stories, have marshmellows dipped in homemade fudge, and apple fritters fried in a cauldron served with maple syrup.

Sunday we will have a Pumpkin Carving Party with Prizes.

Campfires nightly, playground on site, a pavillion for our use, river and ponds nearby for canoeing and kyacking.

Don't miss this one. Contact Jamie Young or Robin Geschwindner private e-mail through the forum for more information.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:31 AM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
We'll be there!

just an fyi: there is also a big craft fair in the next town to the south, all day Saturday and Sunday. Worth mentioning, because a) it might be of interest to some attendees, and b) it is a potential traffic nightmare, for anyone planning on arriving on Saturday. I've been stuck in it, heading into town on that Saturday morning, and it can be pretty bad.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Hi Chuck,

can you give me more specifics on which town and what kind of fair it is?

RG
Old 08-29-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
From My Earlier Shameless Rally Plug.

Caution! Shameless Rally Plug:

This rally is being held in one of the most beautiful spots in New England for foliage viewing - at Bald Mountain Campground in Townshend VT which is in the West River Valley surrounded by the Green Mountains. Fall colors should be at their peak as this rally is scheduled for Columbus Day weekend, October 6th - 9th. This is a joint White Mountains NH and New England Unit event which is already generating lots of interest within our two Units so be sure to sign up early to reserve your spot.

This rally is being billed as a youth rally with many activities our younger members will just love. But even if you don't have kids this rally has a ton to offer! Within Townshend Village you will find:
  • Townshend Dam Recreation Area
  • Townshend State Park which has hiking trails to Bald Mountain ( a 1,100 foot near vertical climb to the top. Good luck! ).
  • Scott covered bridge built in 1870
  • Restaurants
  • Factory Outlets
  • Antique Shops
  • Apple picking at local orchards (Leon and I will not be joining you for this event as he grew up on an apple farm where you had to pick apples for work).
  • Fly fishing with easy river access at the campground
  • Bird watching - I saw lots last weekend
A bit of a drive from the Rally site but well worth it is Manchester Village, VT - This town is listed in the book "1000 Places to See Before You Die" as a not to be missed destination.

In addition about one town over from Bald Mountain Campground a craft fair is being held:

Oct. 7 - 8
36th Annual Newfane Heritage Festival
Newfane, Vermont

Description: Juried show of 80 vendors selling their hand-crafted items.
Location: On the Common in front of the Windham County Court House.
Address: West Street
Hours: 9-4 pm.
Phone: 802-365-9766

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Craft Fair!

I'm making pumpkin judges hats for the pumpkin carving and decorating activities and I'll be looking for anyone with pumpkin art interests to wear a silly pumpkin hat and hand out awards. Don't worry, kids -- everyone's a winner at a rally pumpkin carving contest!

So, anyone interested in wearing a silly pumpkin hat? Just speak up.... anyone? ... how 'bout you out there with the orange hair to match?
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
I'm making pumpkin judges hats for the pumpkin carving and decorating activities and I'll be looking for anyone with pumpkin art interests to wear a silly pumpkin hat and hand out awards. Don't worry, kids -- everyone's a winner at a rally pumpkin carving contest!

So, anyone interested in wearing a silly pumpkin hat? Just speak up.... anyone? ... how 'bout you out there with the orange hair to match?
I'm in! Anything to be able to wear a silly hat besides my WBCCI blue beret.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
well, Michelle beat me to it, but yeah, its in Newfane, which is just south of Townsend...betting less than 5 miles from the campground.
The press release that was posted says "West Street", but its really not; its on route 30. parking for the event is on the town common, on the east side of 30, while the event is on the West side...hence, the potential for traffic. But I don't think it will affect most of us.

Newfane is the quintessential New England village. lots of postcard views of the common, and so forth. Here's a shot of the village from the town's website:

turn 100 degrees to the right from this spot, and see the family homestead:

Ok, so the season changed somewhere in between those 2 pics....but you get the idea. you should see it at "peak foliage"...

So this is Grandma's house. They've been doing this "festival" every year for over 30 years, and I've probably been to more than I've missed.
(my folks were married in the church you see in the top pic.)
Old 08-29-2006, 01:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
I'm in! Anything to be able to wear a silly hat besides my WBCCI blue beret.
I knew I could count on you, Michele. I mean, your honor.

Only two more judges hats to find heads for. Operators are standing by..

-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 08-29-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
don't look at me. it'll mess up my "doo"...

Old 08-29-2006, 02:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
don't look at me. it'll mess up my "doo"...

Actually, I thought the 'fro would fill the pumpkin hat out nicely. But we probably have to disqualify you for the judgeship on grounds that your little one is a potential contestant. I can just see him making an award winning Picaso Pumpkin!

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 08-29-2006, 02:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Warning! Covered Bridge Height Limit

You know you are in New England when there are 150 to 200 year old covered bridges still being used for everyday traffic.
In fact there is one on the way (from MA and NH anyway) to the Bald Mountain Campground that has a 11 foot height restriction and I think I remember it only having one lane so folks will need to wait to cross if someone is already on it coming from the other side of the river. Does anyone remember where this bridge is? I'm thinking we need to let folks with Airstream Motorhomes know they may need to seek a different route - maybe those towing 34'ers too, I recall on the way there it's a very sharp left hand turn onto the bridge which may challenge a long tow vehicle and trailer.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
You know you are in New England when there are 150 to 200 year old covered bridges still being used for everyday traffic.
In fact there is one on the way (from MA and NH anyway) to the Bald Mountain Campground that has a 11 foot height restriction and I think I remember it only having one lane so folks will need to wait to cross if someone is already on it coming from the other side of the river. Does anyone remember where this bridge is? I'm thinking we need to let folks with Airstream Motorhomes know they may need to seek a different route - maybe those towing 34'ers too, I recall on the way there it's a very sharp left hand turn onto the bridge which may challenge a long tow vehicle and trailer.
Yes, I remember that our GPS system steered us into it without warning. We got through just fine, but it is a one-lane bridge and you have to approach slowly to make sure any car inside the bridge can get out before you block their exit. Otherwise you'll be unknowingly engaged in a game of chicken to see who is willing to back out first.

Chuck, do you know where that bridge is?
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 08-29-2006, 02:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck

turn 100 degrees to the right from this spot, and see the family homestead:

So this is Grandma's house. They've been doing this "festival" every year for over 30 years, and I've probably been to more than I've missed.
(my folks were married in the church you see in the top pic.)
Cool! You are a lucky fellow to have family in such a beautiful place. BTW, does Grandma have Airstream Courtesy Parking?

Old 08-29-2006, 03:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Great Pumpkin harvest Moon Youth Rally

Oh by the way decorating your trailer is HIGHLY ENCOURAGED!!!!!!!!!

You just can't have too many lights at a Rally.

Robin