Old 08-29-2006, 03:32 PM   #15
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
The bridge...oh, yes, I know it very well. (its in Dummerston) and um...you guys took what we call "the scenic route" that time. I was reading your description, thinking to myself, "oh, no...you didn't go over the mountain and....oops, I guess you DID!!". LOL! well, I guess you got a really good test of the brakes.
yeah, you don't wanna go that way.

now that I think of it, I glanced at the published sign-up sheet, and thought something was amiss about the directions...we might want to review that, and send an addendum. I'll check it out when I get home.

What you want to do is go into Brattleboro, either from rt 9 from nh, then south on 5, or 91 from MA. (there are several exits that will work). From Downtown B-Boro, you take rt 30 north, and you'll pass that bridge harmlessly on the right, as route 30 follows the West river along its west side. I thought the directions may have said to go N on 5 out of B-boro, then take a left and go over the mountain...thrilling ride, and a workout for your TV both up and down...then the bridge. OTOH...it might be cool to get a pic coming out of the bridge. But it might be better to stage that, rather than really "do" it.

anyhoo...sadly, Grandma has left us. But Uncle (her baby brother) still owns the house. I did seriously consider dragging the trailer up there to "cp" once, when most of the family was going to be there all at once, but it turned out that we didn't need the extra beds afterall.

Here's a link to the bridge: http://www.coveredbridgesite.com/vt/dumm.html

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Campground directions

I think the directions on the rally notice are okay. I took them from the campground website and they're not the ones we used when we found ourselves on the covered bridge. We were using GPS directions from Keene, NH and that's how we ended up taking the scenic route.

The rally notice says: I-91, exit 3, Route 5 south to Route 30 north, north on Route 30 for 15 miles. Take left onto State Forest Road, continue for 2 miles. Bald Mountain campground is on the right.

State Forest Road is just the road into the park. It's narrow, but you can get your Airstream through okay.

-Jamie

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
The bridge...oh, yes, I know it very well. (its in Dummerston) and um...you guys took what we call "the scenic route" that time. I was reading your description, thinking to myself, "oh, no...you didn't go over the mountain and....oops, I guess you DID!!". LOL! well, I guess you got a really good test of the brakes.
yeah, you don't wanna go that way.

Here's a link to the bridge: http://www.coveredbridgesite.com/vt/dumm.html
No kidding! It was pretty much a white knuckle commute down the mountain to the sharp left turn onto a one lane bridge...... Glad to hear we won't need to repeat that adventure when we head to the rally.

GPS systems are great - but they don't know that the "quickest" route may also be the scary route. Ken (our GPS) keeps sending us down dirt roads, he doesn't care that we just washed and waxed "The Tube".

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
marlborough , Massachusetts
This is a beautiful campground. Went to a rally there several years ago with Charter Oak. There is a corn maze nearby as well for those who like to run around in circles.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:46 PM   #19
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
...The rally notice says: I-91, exit 3, Route 5 south to Route 30 north, north on Route 30 for 15 miles. Take left onto State Forest Road, continue for 2 miles. Bald Mountain campground is on the right.

-Jamie
Yeah, thats fine. I remember now, I was just thinking that if you're coming up from the south, you'd be going further to the north than you need to, then backtracking south into B-boro. I usually take exit 1 or 2, and go through downtown. probably more lights...but shorter distance. you come out to the exact same spot to turn onto rt. 30. It probably doesn't really matter much one way or the other.

I'll tell ya another interesting route that we've done just for fun: take 119 from concord or Tyngsboro NW through northern MA, southwestern NH, into Brattleboro. Its slow and windy, but on a nice day at that time of year, its very pretty. I've clocked it, and it takes exactly the same amount of time as the highway. (2 west/91N) Much more pleasant ride. go slow, save gas.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
And will you be running around in circles with us Elaine???????? or are you still recovering from the wonderful Alumination Rally?

RG
Old 08-29-2006, 05:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
Yeah, thats fine. I remember now, I was just thinking that if you're coming up from the south, you'd be going further to the north than you need to, then backtracking south into B-boro. I usually take exit 1 or 2, and go through downtown. probably more lights...but shorter distance. you come out to the exact same spot to turn onto rt. 30. It probably doesn't really matter much one way or the other.
Yup, we took the route through B-boro going home last time and enjoyed the ride through and the sites. We even stopped in a parking lot near a bagel/coffee shop for a snack nearly right in town center and was able to get in and out without problem.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:23 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
marlborough , Massachusetts
Yes, We are going to be running in circles with you guys...just have been slow in sending in the coupon. Just getting back to normal after the big event..hehe...Looking forward to it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
And will you be running around in circles with us Elaine???????? or are you still recovering from the wonderful Alumination Rally?

RG
Old 08-30-2006, 12:57 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Great Pumpkin

A rally with a name like this - it just doesn't seem right that I can't come
But alas - it's on the wrong side of the country - carry on and try to have fun without me .
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Oh Great Pumpkin I'm sorry you can't come too.

For those of you who can attend the Hayride is not to be missed!

We will begin with a tractor-pulled hayride to the site of Vermonts largest bonfire pit. We will hear original New England ghost tales, while we munch on marshmellow kabobs dipped in homemade fudge, and apple fritters cooked in a black cauldron and served with vermont maple syrup.

The Adams Family Farm is generously giving us a discount.
Adults $14.00
Children 4-12 years of age $8.00
Children under 4 years of age FREE
Old 08-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Oh Great Pumpkin I'm sorry you can't come too.

For those of you who can attend the Hayride is not to be missed!

We will begin with a tractor-pulled hayride to the site of Vermonts largest bonfire pit. We will hear original New England ghost tales, while we munch on marshmellow kabobs dipped in homemade fudge, and apple fritters cooked in a black cauldron and served with vermont maple syrup.

The Adams Family Farm is generously giving us a discount.
Adults $14.00
Children 4-12 years of age $8.00
Children under 4 years of age FREE
Leon and I signed up for this adventure even though we don't have children. Should be good fun and I love marshmellow kabobs.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #26
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
what time of day is the hayride thing scheduled?
Old 08-30-2006, 04:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Hayride Reservation

We have a reservation for the 6:45pm ride. They have ones at 7:30 and 8:15pm but we thought this would be too late for our younger kiddos.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:22 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Sounds great ...we're in