Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Four corners Unit - New Years Rally at Picacho Peak State Park

We’re planning a 4CU New Years Weekend (12/29 - 1/1) rally at Picacho State Park AZ. It is right of I-10, has two group areas (one slightly less rustic then the other) and fires are OK. I'll bring the Champagne and lead a hike up the peak (probably not New Years day). If we get 15 trailers we can use the Quail group area that has electric to the ramada and water at the site. No hookups in either group area. We will have full access to the new showers and restrooms at the regular campgrounds, which is also where we can use the dump station and water. It costs $35 to reserve the group area
(I would pay) and $12.50 a night per trailer. It is a lovely Sonoran desert environment with several great hikes.

This is a Four Corners Unit rally and is open to all WBCCI members. Anyone who is not a member will have to be a guest (we’ll work with you on this if you want to join us).

If you’re interested here is the rally link to sign up.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 09-05-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Ken ~ What a great way to start the New Year off! As I told you earlier, Jan and I will be there with the M-Ball. I drive by this park everytime I go to Tucson (going tomorrow) and I have never stopped. We are looking forward to seeing our friends again and maybe meet a few new ones.

BTW, we had 2 guests at the Meteor Crater Rally and now have 2 new members in the 4CU!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Gail and I may have to adjust our travel schedule. We had intended to leave Riverside on January 5th with our neighbors in their SOB motorhome for a 2007 Winter Holiday through Texas to the Gulf Coast, the Florida Keys and then up to South and North Carolina. We were even planning to spend our first night in Picacho Peak State Park. If we leave a week earlier we can visit with our FCU friends and then head east for our Winter Holiday!

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Don & Gail,
It would be great to see you for New Years. If you decide to join us please add your names (Motoman) to the rally announcement sign up list.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 09-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
How's this?
Attached Images

Richard

Old 09-09-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Richard,
I like it. Are you going to post that in the rally advertisement section?
-Ken
Old 09-09-2007, 09:41 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
Richard,
I like it. Are you going to post that in the rally advertisement section?
-Ken
If it is ok with you...

Richard

Old 09-09-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Richard,
Go for it!
-Ken
Old 09-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Put us down as tentative for this rally. It all depends upon when we must leave for Florida to finally visit our alleged time share on Captiva Island.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Picacho Peak State Park is one of our favorite local places to go for a quick get-away (in the winter)...there's a nice pic of Picaho Peak from our maiden voyage campsite in my profile. Unfortunately for us, we have reservations at Buckskin Mountain State Park (AZ) on the Lower Colorado River for 27 Dec - 31 Dec, and will relocate to Cattail Cove State Park a little further north on the River for the rest of that week...so we can't meet up with you this time around. That's too bad...I've been following the 4CU's activities and you sound like a fun group.

Picacho Peak is one of the best-maintained state parks we have visited... the sites are well-spaced (not on top of each other) and each is routinely raked and cleaned up by the volunteers each time it is vacated, and the 2 bathroom & shower buildings are meticulous. You are planning to be in one of the group areas which are set away from the regular loops, but there are also 2 electric loops (both of which should be open in the winter) plus a non-electric loop...you have great views of the Peak and desert vistas from everywhere in the park, and there are some nice hiking opportunities as well. At night I-10 looks like a string of Christmas lights running through the desert. We like it so much that we sometimes stop there for an overnight rest on our way home from a longer trip before we go the last 50-some miles to Tucson.

You'll enjoy it...sorry we're going to miss you all...
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:35 PM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
Picacho Peak State Park is one of our favorite local places to go for a quick get-away (in the winter)...there's a nice pic of Picaho Peak from our maiden voyage campsite in my profile. Unfortunately for us, we have reservations at Buckskin Mountain State Park (AZ) on the Lower Colorado River for 27 Dec - 31 Dec, and will relocate to Cattail Cove State Park a little further north on the River for the rest of that week...so we can't meet up with you this time around. That's too bad...I've been following the 4CU's activities and you sound like a fun group.

Picacho Peak is one of the best-maintained state parks we have visited... the sites are well-spaced (not on top of each other) and each is routinely raked and cleaned up by the volunteers each time it is vacated, and the 2 bathroom & shower buildings are meticulous. You are planning to be in one of the group areas which are set away from the regular loops, but there are also 2 electric loops (both of which should be open in the winter) plus a non-electric loop...you have great views of the Peak and desert vistas from everywhere in the park, and there are some nice hiking opportunities as well. At night I-10 looks like a string of Christmas lights running through the desert. We like it so much that we sometimes stop there for an overnight rest on our way home from a longer trip before we go the last 50-some miles to Tucson.

You'll enjoy it...sorry we're going to miss you all...
TB
TB -
It would have nice to meet you at the rally. We have another rally in February at Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood. Maybe you can make that one. I will have more information in a thread after the October Balloon Rally.

How is Buckskin in the winter? My job takes me to Parker alot and I pass the entrance, but have never gone in. I had thought it might make a good site for a winter rally.

Richard

Old 09-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Hi Guy's We are one of the new members from the Crater trip. Put us in for the new years trip. If we cant get off work maby we will just quit.

Mike and Sheri
N6ERU
sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
This looks like a great way to start the New Year!
I'm going to throw my 'glove' in the fire with you! (I lost the other one at the last 4CU rally I attended...)

well...maybe after a few trips to and from the M-Ball...Thanks!

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
private Four Corners Forum here on Airforums.com

Hi Mike,

We have a private Four Corners Forum here on Airforums.com that you are welcome to join now that you are a member of the FCU.
Click on "WBCCI Unit Forums" in the list of links on the left side of the main Portal page.

Congrats on your General class. I am a Tech. class so I am restricted to VHF/UHF.

Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dean
Hi Guy's We are one of the new members from the Crater trip. Put us in for the new years trip. If we cant get off work maby we will just quit.

Mike and Sheri
N6ERU
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Mike & Sheri,
Welcome to the 4CU. To sign-up up for the New Years rally go to the Rally Calendar, Upcoming Rallies (at the bottom of the main portal page) and click on the Four Corners Unit - New Years Rally Picacho Peak Rally.
-Ken
Old 09-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
TB -
It would have nice to meet you at the rally. We have another rally in February at Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood. Maybe you can make that one. I will have more information in a thread after the October Balloon Rally.

How is Buckskin in the winter? My job takes me to Parker alot and I pass the entrance, but have never gone in. I had thought it might make a good site for a winter rally.
Richard... I am keeping an eye on the 4CU Deadhorse Ranch Rally...we have not been to that state park yet...

Buckskin Mountain is nice...right on the River...weather is mild in the winter (it's only a couple hundred feet above sea level) but that also makes it a very popular winter destination for seasonal folks. No ground fires allowed. It has some full hookups and some partial, and some pull throughs, too...nice large grassy area and trees. I'm not sure if they can accomodate group reservations or not. I will check when we're there and get back to you...there is also the "River Island Unit" which sounds interesting...we have not been that but will check out this trip.

Later,
TB & Greg
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #17
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It's time for a.....
Attached Images

Richard

Old 09-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Bump on!

A reliable source has advised me that party favors are being ordered. They will undoubtedly be a 4CU collectible that you will cherish and want to bring to the 2008/2009 2nd edition
-Ken
Old 09-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Park reservations update

I talked to the park yesterday and nobody has reserved any of the group areas for New Years weekend. So I'm going to move forward and reserve the Jackrabbit group area. We already have enough "units" to qualify and can have up to 14. If we get more we'll upgrade to the Quail group area (if no one else has reserved it). There would be overflow room in the regular area too. Now I just have to decide on the east or west half of Jackrabbit.
Cheers,
Ken
Old 09-25-2007, 05:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Jackrabbit West group area is reserved.
-Ken