Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Four Corners Unit Boondocking Rally June 22-24

Escape the summer heat in the beautiful Colorado mountains. Lizardhead pass is at 10,200' elevation on Hwy 145 about 12 miles south of Telluride, CO. The highway is very good with some sections of 4-6% grades. The parking area is a dirt and grass meadow on the east side of the highway right at the top of the pass. See picture on the FCU website rally page.

This boondocking rally will be an opportunity to test your stand alone capabilities. There will be no hookups, no restrooms, no picnic tables, no paved parking pads.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Great location, great fellow campers, longest days of the year, and peeps. That about says it all
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey 25,

I'd LOVE to get to this one, but I will just be heading out of FL about then. Will miss you by about a week or so. Catch you at the next one, or at the Balloon Fiesta!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Catch you at the next one

OK Lew,
The Balloon Fiesta will be the high point rally of the year for the FCU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Hey 25,

I'd LOVE to get to this one, but I will just be heading out of FL about then. Will miss you by about a week or so. Catch you at the next one, or at the Balloon Fiesta!
AIR #10274
Old 03-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
We will be in the hood for the Bluegrass festival

Pretty much the same dates as the Bluegrass Festival. Unfortunately we are already reserved at a local RV park. Hmmm this could be too much fun.
-KL
Old 03-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
ham radio from the 10,200' pass

Hi Kenneth,
I thought it would be fun to try ham radio from the 10,200' pass. I am just a Tech class so I am restricted to VHF/UHF which needs line of sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
Pretty much the same dates as the Bluegrass Festival. Unfortunately we are already reserved at a local RV park. Hmmm this could be too much fun.
-KL
AIR #10274
Old 03-27-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Four Corners Lizard Head Pass WBCCI Rally Sign Up

http://www.airforums.com/forum...&day=2007-6-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
Escape the summer heat in the beautiful Colorado mountains. Lizardhead pass is at 10,200' elevation on Hwy 145 about 12 miles south of Telluride, CO.
AIR #10274
Old 03-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Jerry,
I think it would be very cool to see how many repeaters you can find at 10,200 feet. I have the latest repeater software and can use that with the GPS to find close ones. We will be in the neighborhood (not sure if we will make it up to the campground for a visit) and will try talking with you.
-KL
Old 03-28-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Jerry,
I hate to miss a rally, but we have another one that weekend. We will be at Big Lake in the AZ White Mountains with my flyfishing club. We made the reservations months ago. The altitude is only 9200 feet, but it too will be cool. Have a great rally!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
see how many repeaters you can find

KL
According to my Repeater Directory, looks like the Silverton repeater is the closest with others in Cortez, Creede, Durango and Pagosa Springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
Jerry,
I think it would be very cool to see how many repeaters you can find at 10,200 feet. I have the latest repeater software and can use that with the GPS to find close ones. We will be in the neighborhood (not sure if we will make it up to the campground for a visit) and will try talking with you.
-KL
AIR #10274
Old 06-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Yes! I'm Coming!

Come on all you FCU'ers. Oh that doesn't look right!@!

This will be a great low key rally. In THE most beautiful surroundings. Room to roam or relax. Mountain Climb by foot or bike or sit and keep your chair company. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lizardhead.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	38492  
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Four Corners Lizard Head Pass WBCCI Rally Sign Up

Welcome aboard AirstreamGypsy. This is your neck of the woods so to speak.

There is a sign up page at:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...-22;&e=331&c=1

Denis4x4 had expressed interest at one time but have not heard from him lately.

I wonder how many are interested in biking the Galloping Goose Trail (all gently downhill) vs. how many want to go to the Bluegrass Festival in Telluride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamGypsy
Come on all you FCU'ers. Oh that doesn't look right!@!

This will be a great low key rally. In THE most beautiful surroundings. Room to roam or relax. Mountain Climb by foot or bike or sit and keep your chair company. :-)
AIR #10274
Old 06-03-2007, 11:26 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
I wonder how many are interested in biking the Galloping Goose Trail (all gently downhill) vs. how many want to go to the Bluegrass Festival in Telluride?
We'd be up for both ideas. The bike trail sounds nice, similar to what we do on the Vail pass when we take our truck to the top, drop it off and ride the bikes down. I have a friend that runs a grocery store in Telluride. I spoke with him today to let him know that we'll be in the area. He said the Blue Grass festival was his busiest weekend of the year. He recommended that since the rally is south of town, if we wanted to go into town to try to park at the Mountain Village, and take the gondola into town. They don't have the parking to deal with the volume of cars the festival draws, so they close off the highway, and require people to take a shuttle into town. I haven't been to Telluride for several years, but it's a really cool town to check out.
This will be the first Rally we've been to, so we hope to see several airstreamers. If it's only a few we'll still enjoy it though. This is our kind of camping.
Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Vail Pass

Charlie,
We have spotted cars at Red Cliff then driven around to Vail Pass for the start a day of all downhill cross country skiing. Saw a couple of plush yurts along the way.

Regarding the Lizard Head Pass rally, the suggestion to park at Mountain Village and take the free gondola down to Telluride for the Bluegrass Festival sounds prudent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized
We'd be up for both ideas. The bike trail sounds nice, similar to what we do on the Vail pass when we take our truck to the top, drop it off and ride the bikes down. I have a friend that runs a grocery store in Telluride. I spoke with him today to let him know that we'll be in the area. He said the Blue Grass festival was his busiest weekend of the year. He recommended that since the rally is south of town, if we wanted to go into town to try to park at the Mountain Village, and take the gondola into town. They don't have the parking to deal with the volume of cars the festival draws, so they close off the highway, and require people to take a shuttle into town. I haven't been to Telluride for several years, but it's a really cool town to check out.
This will be the first Rally we've been to, so we hope to see several airstreamers. If it's only a few we'll still enjoy it though. This is our kind of camping.
Charlie
AIR #10274
Old 06-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Charlie,
We have spotted cars at Red Cliff then driven around to Vail Pass for the start a day of all downhill cross country skiing. Saw a couple of plush yurts along the way.

Regarding the Lizard Head Pass rally, the suggestion to park at Mountain Village and take the free gondola down to Telluride for the Bluegrass Festival sounds prudent.

It looks like it's still just 3 of us listed on the sign up site. I read on the club site to bring a table or 2 along with plenty of firewood. I'm not sure how you were planning the pot luck, but just let me know what we need to bring. I guess this is out of the way for most people, but it's one awesome area to visit.
Charlie
Old 06-13-2007, 07:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Lizard Head Pass Rally & Potluck

Charlie,

We have quite a long travel from ABQ to Lizard Head Pass and our arrival time is a bit uncertain on Friday. I always try to get an early start, but often something pops up to cause a delay. For that reason, I think it best to plan the pot luck for Sat. night. We typically have a happy hour starting about 4PM with dinner to follow and then perhaps a small evening bonfire and general BS until bedtime.

Royce and Denis4x4 had expressed interest but have not signed up yet so it does look like a small Airstream group. Perhaps we will be augmented and entertained by some overflow bluegrass musicians that are unable to find camping closer to Telluride.

We are currently in Dallas with our Airstream seeing our newest grandson for the first time and I found an Internet access to use for awhile.

Dallas weather is very unpleasant, hot, humid and cloud overcast so not many stars at night. We are crammed into a slot in an RV park. I am really looking forward to Lizard Head Pass later this month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized
It looks like it's still just 3 of us listed on the sign up site. I read on the club site to bring a table or 2 along with plenty of firewood. I'm not sure how you were planning the pot luck, but just let me know what we need to bring. I guess this is out of the way for most people, but it's one awesome area to visit.
Charlie
AIR #10274
Old 06-16-2007, 07:51 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I haven't been to Telluride for several years, so I think we're going to show up Thursday afternoon, or early evening. I think I can figure out the location of the camping area from the description you have on the website. I'll send you an IM with our cell phone # so you can call us when you get close, and we'll see if we need to move to a specific spot. I'm not sure if the messaging option is working yet, I think it was down recently, so please let me know if you get it.
Congrats on the grandchild. Camping in Dallas sounds like hook ups are a must. If you think of anything we need to bring, just let us know.

AirstreamGypsy: Could you let us know when you're arriving? I'll send you an IM as well.

Quote:
Charlie,

We have quite a long travel from ABQ to Lizard Head Pass and our arrival time is a bit uncertain on Friday. I always try to get an early start, but often something pops up to cause a delay. For that reason, I think it best to plan the pot luck for Sat. night. We typically have a happy hour starting about 4PM with dinner to follow and then perhaps a small evening bonfire and general BS until bedtime.

Royce and Denis4x4 had expressed interest but have not signed up yet so it does look like a small Airstream group. Perhaps we will be augmented and entertained by some overflow bluegrass musicians that are unable to find camping closer to Telluride.

We are currently in Dallas with our Airstream seeing our newest grandson for the first time and I found an Internet access to use for awhile.

Dallas weather is very unpleasant, hot, humid and cloud overcast so not many stars at night. We are crammed into a slot in an RV park. I am really looking forward to Lizard Head Pass later this month!
Old 06-18-2007, 11:43 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Hi Guys

I'll be there sometime Fri afternoon 4-6 ish. Huevos Rancheros for breakfast anyone? I supply all but the coffee. Sat or Sun whichever you prefer.

Suzanne
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Airstream25..Time to upgrade!! Would love to work you from 10,200 ft here in Michigan on 10,15 or 20 meters. Ralph KW8G
Old 06-24-2007, 11:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Great rally on LIZARD Head Pass!

Hi All,
We only had 3 rigs, 7 people show up for the rally. Weather was perfect. Mid 70s during the day and low 40s at night. Great star gazing. Charlie brought his 5" Celestron telescope and we also saw the ISS sail overhead one night.
Snow capped mtns all around our camp. Meadow full of yellow blooms.

Sat. morning bike ride was a pleasant 6 mile mostly down hill coast.
Sat. afternoon, some went fishing, others went into Telluride to hear a bit of Bluegrass and others took naps.

The only 2 meter repeater I could hit reliably was in Silverton, but I was not able to raise any other Airstreaming hams.

Plenty of room to park in the meadow. Camp fires every night. Our Lab enjoyed chasing frisbees.

Sorry if the boondocking without hookups dissuaded anyone from attending. Where is your Wally spirit?
AIR #10274