Old 06-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
Charlie,
We have spotted cars at Red Cliff then driven around to Vail Pass for the start a day of all downhill cross country skiing. Saw a couple of plush yurts along the way.

Regarding the Lizard Head Pass rally, the suggestion to park at Mountain Village and take the free gondola down to Telluride for the Bluegrass Festival sounds prudent.

It looks like it's still just 3 of us listed on the sign up site. I read on the club site to bring a table or 2 along with plenty of firewood. I'm not sure how you were planning the pot luck, but just let me know what we need to bring. I guess this is out of the way for most people, but it's one awesome area to visit.
Charlie

Old 06-13-2007, 08:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Lizard Head Pass Rally & Potluck

Charlie,

We have quite a long travel from ABQ to Lizard Head Pass and our arrival time is a bit uncertain on Friday. I always try to get an early start, but often something pops up to cause a delay. For that reason, I think it best to plan the pot luck for Sat. night. We typically have a happy hour starting about 4PM with dinner to follow and then perhaps a small evening bonfire and general BS until bedtime.

Royce and Denis4x4 had expressed interest but have not signed up yet so it does look like a small Airstream group. Perhaps we will be augmented and entertained by some overflow bluegrass musicians that are unable to find camping closer to Telluride.

We are currently in Dallas with our Airstream seeing our newest grandson for the first time and I found an Internet access to use for awhile.

Dallas weather is very unpleasant, hot, humid and cloud overcast so not many stars at night. We are crammed into a slot in an RV park. I am really looking forward to Lizard Head Pass later this month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized
It looks like it's still just 3 of us listed on the sign up site. I read on the club site to bring a table or 2 along with plenty of firewood. I'm not sure how you were planning the pot luck, but just let me know what we need to bring. I guess this is out of the way for most people, but it's one awesome area to visit.
Charlie

AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:51 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I haven't been to Telluride for several years, so I think we're going to show up Thursday afternoon, or early evening. I think I can figure out the location of the camping area from the description you have on the website. I'll send you an IM with our cell phone # so you can call us when you get close, and we'll see if we need to move to a specific spot. I'm not sure if the messaging option is working yet, I think it was down recently, so please let me know if you get it.
Congrats on the grandchild. Camping in Dallas sounds like hook ups are a must. If you think of anything we need to bring, just let us know.

AirstreamGypsy: Could you let us know when you're arriving? I'll send you an IM as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
Charlie,

We have quite a long travel from ABQ to Lizard Head Pass and our arrival time is a bit uncertain on Friday. I always try to get an early start, but often something pops up to cause a delay. For that reason, I think it best to plan the pot luck for Sat. night. We typically have a happy hour starting about 4PM with dinner to follow and then perhaps a small evening bonfire and general BS until bedtime.

Royce and Denis4x4 had expressed interest but have not signed up yet so it does look like a small Airstream group. Perhaps we will be augmented and entertained by some overflow bluegrass musicians that are unable to find camping closer to Telluride.

We are currently in Dallas with our Airstream seeing our newest grandson for the first time and I found an Internet access to use for awhile.

Dallas weather is very unpleasant, hot, humid and cloud overcast so not many stars at night. We are crammed into a slot in an RV park. I am really looking forward to Lizard Head Pass later this month!
Old 06-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Hi Guys

I'll be there sometime Fri afternoon 4-6 ish. Huevos Rancheros for breakfast anyone? I supply all but the coffee. Sat or Sun whichever you prefer.

Suzanne
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Airstream25..Time to upgrade!! Would love to work you from 10,200 ft here in Michigan on 10,15 or 20 meters. Ralph KW8G
Old 06-25-2007, 12:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Great rally on LIZARD Head Pass!

Hi All,
We only had 3 rigs, 7 people show up for the rally. Weather was perfect. Mid 70s during the day and low 40s at night. Great star gazing. Charlie brought his 5" Celestron telescope and we also saw the ISS sail overhead one night.
Snow capped mtns all around our camp. Meadow full of yellow blooms.

Sat. morning bike ride was a pleasant 6 mile mostly down hill coast.
Sat. afternoon, some went fishing, others went into Telluride to hear a bit of Bluegrass and others took naps.

The only 2 meter repeater I could hit reliably was in Silverton, but I was not able to raise any other Airstreaming hams.

Plenty of room to park in the meadow. Camp fires every night. Our Lab enjoyed chasing frisbees.

Sorry if the boondocking without hookups dissuaded anyone from attending. Where is your Wally spirit?
AIR #10274
Old 06-25-2007, 01:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Keep on keepin on...!

Jerry -

Firstly, a HUGE thanks to you for organizing the rally. 3 or 300, a rally it still is! I often think that the smaller groups allow for MUCH more interpersonal exchange, and that this broadens and deepens the attendees experiences of the event, in ways that words can seldom capture. Doing this right is why the organization continues

I think that the rally was likely a great event inspite of a 'low' turnout. Do the right thing here - continue to work this event for abour 3 or 4 years running..... by then the 'kink" will be managable..... who knows what tomorrow brings,,,,,,, but there better be a oppotunity

These rally events are for the primary purpose for showing how we did "This" and how we did - That" and how we do it. All of course, one on one!!!!!! Camping allows a terrific clasroom for that,

Seeing the sights had to be one of the BEST trip features - hope they get posted somwhere so they can be shown, at least! There certainly is enough to keep everyone busy , visiting, gathering, Happy Hour, Trailer Tour, Maintenance upgrades, There is the pot-luck!, and what about a new, whole host of other ideas that are still yet to be tried?

In my opinion, this AS a rally that can be build into one of the A list campouts with Four Corners Unit... Keep at it - They WILL COME!

Axel
SilverToy
Old 06-25-2007, 09:47 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Hey Axel

We missed you guys there. Plenty of room for your behemoth!

You bet we'll do it again next year. We had a great impromptu STEAK dinner the first evening provided by Pacerized, Charlie and his family. Our "official" pot luck on Sat. eve was spearheaded by Carol and Jerry. My goodness the food just kept on coming out of her airstream. Absolutely marvelous! Poached salmon pasta and more much more. You haven't lived until you've enjoyed Carol's hospitality.

Although I have been to Lizard Head a number of times, I have never stayed overnight. It is not to be missed.

Here are a couple of photos...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the-roundup.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	39848   Click image for larger version

Name:	dinner.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	39849  

My Earthship
Old 06-25-2007, 11:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Lizard Head photos

Airstreamgypsy,
Thanks for getting some photos up so quickly. You captured the scenery very well, but the people were bending over, looking down, had their mouths full of food, etc.

Thanks for the good tip about the free dump and $.25 water fill up at the town park in Cortez.

We are boondocking one more night in NW NM on the way home. We have the fragrent smell of sagebrush all around and we are camped almost on the Continental Divide.
AIR #10274
Old 06-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Sounds like you all had a great time! I’m sorry we couldn’t come. Our guests ended up leaving before the weekend, but we didn’t anticipate that they would, so we had the motorhome torn apart (we’re on a mission to reduce our carrying weight). “So near, and yet so far”. We live in Silverton. If anyone is in town, stop by and say “Hi”.

Tracy
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Airstream25, we should of tried 10 meters. You can get on that band. that would be fun to try from your 10,200 ft QTH. Im always game!! Ralph, KW8G
Old 06-25-2007, 03:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Ok, We weren't able to make it. Surely there are more photos?? Looks like a lovely area that I would like to see more of.
Dave
Old 06-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Of course there are more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Ok, We weren't able to make it. Surely there are more photos?? Looks like a lovely area that I would like to see more of.
Dave
Another great view. Well, let's face it, every way you turned.

And appetizers on arrival...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	another-view.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	39870   Click image for larger version

Name:	appetizers.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	39871  

My Earthship
Old 06-25-2007, 04:33 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
That's Carol next to my Bambi.

And then there is me just hangin' around. I love my awning.

Not to mention yet another view in the background.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	just-hangin-around.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	39872  

My Earthship