Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #197
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Just keep me posted about when and where to show up...
-Bam

Old 06-10-2007, 03:13 PM   #198
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Not having been in a caravan or having attended the Balloon Festival I have a question about arriving in acaravan. Is it more of a problem for the people parking us if we arrive enmasse since 21 trailers may stack out into the public streets which will be crowded by other visitors to the festival vs arriving one up to a few at a time?

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Old 06-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #199
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
2 air

We check in on 10/5 and check out on 10/9 - as far as arriving, and I'll find out more as we get closer, I think they prefer we all arrive at the same time - there will be a gazillion other (thats Airstream talk for a lot) of other RV's checking at the same time - so this is something they have worked with before - especially on 10/5 since its the first day of the rally

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Old 06-10-2007, 03:47 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Meetin' place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
Just as an FYI - Regional 11 is holding its rally the same weeked at American RV park - so you all may want to pick another park so as to not get confused when you show up.

Ken
Is it poor etiquette to rally at the same RV Park?.....confussion? Your are kiddin..right?.....we got Kevbo...no one is going to confuse us with him on board, even in New Mexico.

But seriously, if they have space and we get a reasonaable consensus, would it be OK to meet there on Thursday. If not, can you suggest another location?

Thanks,
John
Old 06-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
If everything works out right, we are going to try to stretch this trip out a bit. We are planning on starting out on Monday. But we will meet you guys wherever and whenever at the last stop before we roll into the festival.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #202
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I think we need someone from the Albuquerque area to scout out a spot to meet on Friday afternoon. A super Walmart might be a good location so that we could stock up on last minute items.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 06-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #203
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Just to be a little helpful...

As a native of Albuquerque I can tell you that the traffic around Balloon Fiesta Park is crazy. I have seen them park huge caravans of Mohos where they are lined up for half a mile. My suggestion....and KenJ please weigh in on this...is to try to come in from the north. There are a couple of large areas just off the I-25 Bernalillo exit (exit 242) where big trucks park that would be a good staging area for people to meet. You'd being going out of your way by 7 miles (well, 14 total going back) but trust me, it is much easier to come in from the north. If you want more info or suggestions, PM me and I'll be glad to help out in any way. Especially, since the NorCal people were so good to us, it's only right to return the favor.

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Old 06-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #204
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
As a native of Albuquerque I can tell you that the traffic around Balloon Fiesta Park is crazy. I have seen them park huge caravans of Mohos where they are lined up for half a mile. My suggestion....and KenJ please weigh in on this...is to try to come in from the north. There are a couple of large areas just off the I-25 Bernalillo exit (exit 242) where big trucks park that would be a good staging area for people to meet. You'd being going out of your way by 7 miles (well, 14 total going back) but trust me, it is much easier to come in from the north. If you want more info or suggestions, PM me and I'll be glad to help out in any way. Especially, since the NorCal people were so good to us, it's only right to return the favor.
Thanks for the tip....of course we will let Ken take the lead. What time is a good time to arrive at the Fiesta Park? Based on some of the available info, it sounds like Friday morning is much better than Friday afternoon, is that correct?
Old 06-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #205
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Actually if you want to meet somewhere west of Albuq - Camping world has a huge parking lot - I could check with them to see if it would be ok -

I'm going to have to find out how early we can park - being the first day of the fiesta, I would think we could get in earlier - maybe avoid the rush -

Blu - what do you think about coming in from the west on Almeda? Most folks come in from I25 and it might be easier to come in off 528 -

Hmmm you want me to take the lead - you folks are in major trouble now - maybe I'll take you all the "scenic route"

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Old 06-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #206
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Friday afternoon would be insane

I haven't looked at the Balloon Fiesta schedule, but typically, they have balloon glows on Friday night. They are quite spectacular. Consequently the traffic begins to get really messed up rather early. I would advise that the earlier you could get there on Friday the better. Plus, it leaves lots of time to fire up the Margarita Ball and get in the proper frame of mind to enjoy the balloons.

My advice would be to go up I-25 (about 7 miles past Balloon Fiesta Park) to exit 242 (the Placitas/Rio Rancho exit) turn left and go down Hwy 550 to North Hill Road and turn right. There is a very large dirt lot next to the Burger King where semis park. Folks could meet there. The only drag about this plan (if people wanted to go back on the Interstate) is going back across Hwy 550 to get on the Interstate. That left turn could be kind of difficult in heavy traffic. If it were me....(and again, the folks in charge probably have it all planned out) After everybody meeting at the Burger King lot... Caravan right on Hwy 550, left on HWY 313 through the little town of Bernalillo and then take Hwy 313 (known to us locals as "the old Highway" up to Alameda and come in the "back door" of the balloon fiesta park. But again, the rally planners may have this already figured out. Just trying to help out in anyway I can.

and
Old 06-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #207
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Ken: I'd already started my post before I saw your reply. I would say that trying to meet west of town and have everybody try to stick together coming thru the Big_I might be kind of difficult...especially with all the Balloon Fiesta traffic. --If it worked, it would look cool to see that kind of caravan coming thru--Going through the West Side to come up Alameda might be tricky too. West Side traffic is totally crazy and there would be lots of traffic lights from Coors to Alameda. Since I live north of Albuquerque in Placitas. I always see all the horrible traffic coming the other way. That's why I suggested coming in from the north because people wouldn't have to negotiate that frontage road nightmare to turn left into the park. If they stay in the far left lane of I-25 and cruise past the balloon fiesta traffic, get off at Bernalillo and come back from the north, then you can stay in the right lane and not have to make any left turns.

So, my advice would be I-40 to I-25 through Albuquerque. North on I-25 7miles to exit 242.

and
Old 06-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #208
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Electrical problems?

Looks like something we may need to keep an eye on, in case this changes the RV parking arrangements at the fest:

Former landfill used as balloon fiesta RV campground deemed hazardous : Local : Albuquerque Tribune

Old 06-10-2007, 09:56 PM   #209
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The schedule shows no event at the site on Friday.
http://www.balloonfiesta.com/Balloon...a/schedule.php
That should help....

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 06-10-2007, 10:01 PM   #210
2 Rivet Member

Placitas , New Mexico
Balloon fiesta

this might help a little:

http://www.balloonfiesta.com/

there's a link to a map of RV parking sites

traffic during the event tends to get rather troublesome