Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2003, 02:20 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Cool First Ralley, what to take/expect

Looks like our first outing will be the May Rhododendron Ralley in Floence, Oregon. What kind of stuff do people take with them to Rallys? I was thinking a couple lawn chairs for sitting around outside, and of course we'll have to outfit the trailer with silverware and plates, blankets and towels, and stuff like that. Anything less obvious that it's nice to bring along? I'm actually a little nervous because I don't know what to expect, but I'm sure it will be fun.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 02:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
First Rally, what to take/expect

Greetings Stephanie!

The following is a list of the "basic" supplies that I have in my rally preparedness kit:

1. Leveling blocks sufficient to raise the low side of the coach up to 2.5" - - a set of wheel chocks will also be necessary for front and rear of each tire since your coach is a single axle.
2. A wide-footed tongue jack base as well as large, flat block of wood to place under the tongue jack base.
3. A 30-AMP to 15-AMP electrical adapter. (I also carry 75-feet of 30-AMP extension cord, but I will readily admit that this is overkill.)
4. Free-flowing (non-restricted) <doesn't have shut off vlaves> "Y" for your water supply (a metal Y is best as the plastic ones seem to be good for only one or two rallys before they spring leaks), and at least 50 ft. of white RV (potable water approved) hose. You might also find it helpful to have a 3' to 5' potable water hose to run from your trailer's city water inlet to the "Y" as this will reduce the potential of over-stressing the plumbing connection on the coach. (My usual rally supply includes 3-75 foot lengths of the hose as I always seem to be the first in the row so must reach to the hydrant.) {Since this is your first rally, this may see strange but at many rallys the water supply is "daisy-chained" from one main hydrant to any number of trailers in a row - - the first trailer connects to the hydrant with the next connecting to the first trailer's "Y" . . . . and so-on to the end of the chain. An additional consideration is being prepared if you happen to be the last person in the chain (either permanently or temporarily) - - then you will need a "cap" for one side of your "Y".}
5. A mat for in front of your entrance door [a 3' x 5' is probably about the minumum for good protection]. {I have a patio mat that is sold at most larger Rallys that is really nice for the purpose - - it is in excess of 9' x 12' and is made of a breathable fiber that doesn't kill the underlying sod.}
6. Provisions for gray water (wash water)
a. Blue tank for those locations where gray water must be properly disposed of.
b. Thetford Cap for dump valve with hose outlet.
c. 4' black "automatic washer supply hose" to run between Thetford cap and blue tank - - or to route under rear of coach where it is permissible to allow wash water onto the ground.
7. Flags and flag holder for front of coach. (I usually carry US Flag, Canadian Flag (for Canada Day at International Rally), VAC flag, and my state flag).
8. A Citizen Band radio is often valuable at larger Rallys as this is the way announcements are often made. A battery operated, hand-held portable will work - - just be prepared with an extra set of batteries - - it is also helpful if you happen to participate in a "Suburban Caravan" to a site or eatery as the leader communicates with the followers via the CB.
9. Be sure that your propane tanks are full, your water tank is full, and that your black tank is empty when arriving at the rally as the water supply may not be immediately available, and a dump site may not be conveniently located either.
10. Extra fuses for both 12-volt and AC fuse box (if so equipped).
11. A temporary shut-off valve to mount between your "Y" and your trailer on the water supply hose so that if you happen to spring a leak you can shut down the supply to your trailer quickly without interrupting the supply to the rest of the chain.

Depending upon the Rally, you might also want to be prepared for several other possibilities.

A.) A pot-luck is a function at many rallys so it is wise to be prepared with a pot luck idea {mine is bon-fire baked beans made in a dutch oven that can be made over a bar-b-que grill using canned goods that are easily carried in either the tow vehicle or trailer}.

B.) Semi-formal activities. There are any number of semi-formal activities at a number of rallys including such things as ballroom dancing, line dancing, or square dancing. These are typically dress-up ocassions, but not necessarily the full formal route - - I usually pack a dress shirt, dress slacks, and a bolo tie for such ocassions.

C.) Vintage Club Open House. Since yours is a vintage coach, if there is a Vintage Club section at the Rally you will likely be invited to participate in the open house (if one will be part of the Rally). The open house is a fun time where owners open their trailers for a period of one to two hours for visitors to tour the coach - - it is a time when much visiting occurs, and much sharing takes place. Be prepared for lots of questions and any number of interesting conversations.

You are correct about the folding chairs. In addition, it is usually wise to be prepared for any weather condition that might prevail (I usually carry an extra sweater, wind breaker and stadium blanket for the "campfire" activities that are often an impromp-tu part of a rally)as well as being prepared for any pesky insects that might make their presence known.

With best wishes for a turly memorable and enjoyable experience at your first Rally!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 04:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Smile Good suggestions Kevin!

Quote:
Depending upon the Rally, you might also want to be prepared for several other possibilities.
Our Unit Rallies usually include a "Social or Happy Hour" each evening so even if there isn't a potluck we all get together for a bit each evening and share snacks.

Can't wait to hear your report (& see pictures) from your first rally! Have fun!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 05:57 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Social hour and snacks

Our unit does this also. I take something like mixed nuts to put on the table. We bring our own soft drinks or something harder in an unobvious package. Later in the evening, there is always ice cream.

Most meals have at least the main course provided by the hosts, but for some meals we all bring side dishes.

We always bring our own table service unless it is clearly stated otherwise. Most of us have mesh bags we bought in Mexico to carry our table service.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
by now you should have an idea of what to expect. the alabama group is all informal blue geans are ok. if you want to dress up that is ok also. some folks dont have blue geans. and also dont get their hands dirty. they are ok also. usually breakfasts and one evening meal is provided by the host. one evening meal is covered dish pot luck. as stated earlier bring your own utinsels and plate or platter or bowl if required. dont worry about anything just have a good time. we had a rally last week at gulf shores alabama had a lot of fun. lol
al
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:19 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Thanks so much. The event description does include one potluck breakfast, and it says bring your own table service (which I wondered what that meant). Now I'm more prepared at least. Well, back to getting the trailer ready to go.

Old 05-01-2003, 11:11 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

FIRST RALLY

We are off to our first WBCCI rally today. It is at Piney campground near Land Between The Lakes near Dover,TN. Our unit is the Nashville Music City one. Hope to have a good time and promise to act like we know what we are doing. Wish us luck.
Dan
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Sounds fun

Steph,
How did you hear about the ralley? Did you join a WBCC chapter? Sounds like fun! Too bad my Argosy isn't quite show-worthy yet.... one day, soon!
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 06:04 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
The previous owners told me about it when we picked up the trailer. They are going and hoped we would be able to make it as well. Looks like we're getting our act together enough to make it. We haven't joined the Oregon Unit yet, but I thought it would be fun to see who's in the club and what a ralley is like. I think most of our camping will be just us taking it to parks for hiking and stuff like that, but it should be fun to see the original owners again, and to see some other airstreams. We contacted the Washington Unit, but it sounds like most of their things happen at their club house up by Seattle, so we're kind of leaning towards the Oregon Unit. When we vacation we usually head for Oregon anyway.

Old 05-04-2003, 03:05 PM   #10
Finally Retired

, Washington
We belong to the Wash Unit in Lacey, in fact we just came from their annual crab feed. They have all kinds of rallys in differant places. I get the impression that other than the Crab feed and the Potlatch most everything else is at other lacations. There were several from the Oregon unit up hear this weekend. The Land Yacht Harbor is very close to the Capitol in Olympia maybe 5 miles so now where really close to Seattle.
Finally Retired
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 04:56 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
It sounds like they have a pretty spectacular place for their 'clubhouse' - acres and acres of space. We think of everything near Puget Sound as 'Seattle' :-) Olympia included. We'll have to come up and join them for a rally sometime as well. I assume the club rallys are always welcoming to members from other units? But how do you keep in touch and find out when rallys are happening other than the ones your unit is doing? We went ahead and sent in our due to the Oregon Unit. Like I said, most of our trips take us to Oregon anyway, mostly just because of their wonderful public beaches, so it seemed like the best fit for us to start with.

Old 05-04-2003, 05:21 PM   #12
Finally Retired

, Washington
This is the web site it has a calendar there that tells you whats going on also a news letter about caravans

http://www.scn.org/~waunitwb/index.htm
Finally Retired
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote