Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
FCU Vintage Restoration Rally

The Four Corners Unit is pleased to announce its first annual Vintage Restoration Rally.

Our vision for this rally is to have a weekend of hands on demonstration of skills required in order to bring these fine trailers back to life. On Sat evening we will have a slide show that will show us how a 50 year old trailer was brought back to life from floor replacement to rebuilding of cabinets to polish.

This rally does not require that you bring your trailer we will hold the rally in Albuquerque NM which will make it easy to fly in should you desire and there are many hotels in the area. We will be making arrangements at a local hotel for those without trailers.

Those of you who can bring your trailers bring your projects and/or your finished beauties. We will have all kinds of tools there to work on your trailer.

Our proposed topics are hoped to include

Buck riveting
Floor replacement
Polishing
Cabinet making
Solar panel installation
Electrical
Axle replacement
Belly pan replacement

The success of this rally depends on those of you who have done this work to demonstrate to others, so not only do we need project trailers, we also need those who have done this type of work to join and help us with the demonstrations as well as showing off their work.

We are still in the planning stage of this rally so plans are attentive. The rally is currently scheduled for the last weekend in April (April 25th 28th) at the Enchanted Trails RV Park (an old Route 66 trading post) in Albuquerque, NM. The fee for this rally has not been set as of yet, however, it will be based only on our cost of putting it on. The weather is nice this time of year and gives us a head start on the summer camping season.

So please share your interest and ideas in attending this rally, since this is the first of what we hope to be an annual event, you can be involved in helping us plan this great event.

Ken J.

Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Old 01-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Hi Ken,

I would definitely be interested. Dates?

Old 01-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier, California , Depoe Bay, Oregon
Ken---Great Idea. It brings a new dimension to the mix of activities for the 4CU. I personally don't have any experiences to pass along, but it is a topic of interest to me.

2003 22ft CCD Int'l
2005 GMC Yukon Denali
WBCCI #2960
Old 01-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Extreme Makeover

The following news story about building a home in a week could be an idea for tearing apart someone's Airstream and rebuilding it over the weekend.

Sun Jan 20, 1:00 PM ET The television show 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' is in Albuquerque undertaking a large-scale project. See our ongoing video coverage at the individual links below.

You can also get more information and details on the local project at this link. Video Series: 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' In Albuquerque - Yahoo! News

Videos:
Home Show Needs Volunteers Show producers hope that citizens will come out to help the project.
'Extreme Makeover' Crews Work Through Bitter Cold Dominic Garcia reports on the overnight challenges construction crews faced with managing concrete in cold weather for the 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' project.
T.V. Show Crew Brings Down The House In this exclusive footage, Sky 7 pilot Neal Lawson watched the planning and demolition of the Martinez family house.
'Home Makeover' Project Biggest Ever Officials explain why the Albuquerque project is one of the most challenging projects the show has taken on.
AIR #10274
Old 01-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
ww, sounds real educational!
The timing sounds good for me.
I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

Michael
Old 01-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
The rally is scheduled for the last weekend in April (25 to 28ish).

The FCU is trying to come up with some different ideas for rallies and this is one of them.

Extreme makeover - hmmmm that would be really cool - think we can do it? Anyone want to volunteer their trailer ?? Hee Hee....

Yes the plan is to make it very educational - but of course very fun. We already have someone signed up to do an electrical presentation, a solar presentation and Rosie (Aka Ellyn - my wife) will demonstrate buck riveting - this time without getting a hole drilled into her finger (I'll let her tell that story - I swear it wasn't my fault - - - - course not sure she would agree with that one.... )

And I know we have a floor section to repair on one trailer.

So again let us know your interest and plans

As with all of our now famous FCU events - it will be lots of fun.

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 01-21-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...-25;&e=405&c=1
AIR #10274
Old 01-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
This is a wonderful undertaking...we don't have a vintage AS but want to applaud 4CU for once again setting a new standard...

TB
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
Old 01-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thanks - we hope it turns out to be another great FCU rally.

Start signing up folks - there are two signed up via the forums and two signed up off the forums for a total of four - not bad for less than 24 hours of notice. I don't know what our limit is as of yet, but I would think about 15-20 trailers would make it a nice size rally.

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 01-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Do you have to be a member of the WB??? or what ever it is called to attend? My GT is getting a lot of new skin right now and might be towable by that date.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Surprise , Arizona
As a new member of the FCU the timing would be just about right for me to have my 71 road worthy and attend my first rally. If I am able to be ready and get the Boss's (wife's) approval I would surely try to be there, cuz I'm gonna need lots of edumacation in order to bring back the natural beauty. I'll cross my fingers.
The only true failure is the failure to try.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Surprise , Arizona
I might even be able to be an example of what a before picture looks like. I hope to have it road worthy but doubt I will get much of the interior done other than pulling the carpet.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:44 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Redo Rally!

Great Ken! Will we have a large area in which to congregate? I'd love to volunteer my '61 Bambi for a belly pan removal and replace. No new material for the belly will be needed.

This can be a great annual event.

The end of April should be great weather too!
My Earthship
Old 01-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Aerowood - this will be whats called a "buddy" rally - so you can be my buddy and you don't have to be a member of the WBCCI - and for sure you don't need to be a member if you are there to demonstrate skin replacement (big hint)..... also we don't care what shape or how your trailer looks, as long as you can haul it there - we hope to have enough folks to help put it back together - at least enough to get you back home.

Az - get to work!! As I said above - enough to get it to NM, will go from there. Will have all kinds of tools there. I've already warned the campground we might be making a lot of noise. And they are good with that.

Gypsy - cool - belly pan work - - - - yes we will have room and tools and I'm sure a lot of opinions on the best approach to just about everything - Airstream and non Airstream... I've got to get my belly pan on too - so we may have two belly pans to work on - let me know if you need help finding material.

We will have two Bambis to work on - the other one needs some floor work.

Just a thought - we can make it a long weekend if folks want to work on trailers.

Ken J.

Rally
restoration rally
Closed Thread