Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:25 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
Barry

Hmm that would be interesting - I remember a film crew that filmed the VAC rally a few years ago - never made it to the tube though.....

If you know someone, let me know - on the other hand would we all have to yell at each other, throw temper tantrums and throw tools at each other? Now that would be a party - we could chase each other with air hammers....

Ken J.
My goodness, I'd hope not. It's too easy to dent aluminum if someone misses. This could be the "adult" version of those shows where people are actually civil, intelligent, and accomplish big things in short time frames.

Oh, right, that would be pretty boring to watch wouldn't it. Well, perhaps a disaster or two like forgetting to dump the black tank before removing the dump valve would be a good one. Maybe have someone go fishing for a toothbrush (with apologies to Becky from another thread).

I don't know of anyone but I'm sure the local paper would get a kick out of this. I'm wondering who did the ones for the Vintage Vacations thing in CA a few years ago. We don't get all the same channels up here in Canada that you get. We get a LOT of hockey, curling, ice skating, tobogganing, snow shoe races, frostbite cures and how to install a block heater in your car type of shows.

I'll see if I can find anything on the net though. It seems like such a neat opportunity to pass up. I doubt JC would be interested but it wouldn't hurt to see - it would be pretty neat if they sponsored someone to come and do a presentation, perhaps offer repair advice, and perhaps their advertising folks would know who does those kinds of video shows. Just thinking out loud here.

Barry
Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thats great - keep thinking out loud. The one I was thinking of - and I can't remember who it was - but their black tank valve got stuck, so they sat down on the ground - right in front of the valve - and gave it a good yank - yup, you guessed it - it opened up just fine - all over them..... ewwwww

I might give a call to JC, but was for sure going to go by and talk to the local Airstream dealer..

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Update

The response has been really great for this rally.

We are probably at the point where this rally is almost full - we have 22 trailers signed up which brings us to almost 50 attendies. The meeting room starts to get a little tight with that many folks - we had a christmas party there back in Dec and thats about how many we had - so we can take 3 more units and then will have to start a waiting list.

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 02-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #84
Sly
SlyDogs

1956 22' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Ken,
I'd like to bring my 65 Caravel project to the maintenance rally if there's still room. It has a great body but needs a bunch of work. A lot of the interior is missing as a result of a previous owner's incomplete project. It needs, electrical work (I have a new intelipower & fuse box but haven't installed them yet), it's missing some cabinets, front couchos & side pull-out bed, it needs plumbing (lots of leaks), toilet investigation, window seals (I have new but never installed then), a few other things as well.

It's a cool trailer but needs lots of TLC. To date I haven't had much of an opportunity to work on it. In a nutshell I have lots of interior and exterior projects. I've done a lot of work on my other Airstream (23 ft Safari), and am pretty mechanically inclined. This would certainly force the opportunity to get re-engaged on my Caravel project. I have got the running/brake lights working, new tires, and a new pigtail up front. I have no idea if the breaks work or not, and the bearings probably need replaced and/or greased (another project).

Thanks,
Rodney Sly
881-7096
Old 02-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #85
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Hank Hill

Hi Ken!

I have been putting off installing a propane line for a Catalytic heater. I have the flair fittings, shut off valves, copper line and propane sniffer. All I need is a flair tool, Hank Hill and someone to demystify the flair tool thing. My thought was to tap into the copper fridge line located in the outside fridge compartment.

Small project idea?

Michael
Old 02-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #86
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Michael, the performance of the CAT heater will drastically improve once you can get propane to it.

This would also be much easier then managing the Solar System.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 02-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #87
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Michael, the performance of the CAT heater will drastically improve once you can get propane to it.
I hope so, cauz I'm freezing now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
This would also be much easier then managing the Solar System.
No doubt Richard, but is still involves "gas*"

*see this thread

Michael
Old 02-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream
Hi Ken!

I have been putting off installing a propane line for a Catalytic heater. I have the flair fittings, shut off valves, copper line and propane sniffer. All I need is a flair tool, Hank Hill and someone to demystify the flair tool thing. My thought was to tap into the copper fridge line located in the outside fridge compartment.

Small project idea?

Michael
I can bring one to the Rally. What degree double flair do you need, I have 37 degree and 45 degree. tools
Old 02-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #89
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
I can bring one to the Rally. What degree double flair do you need, I have 37 degree and 45 degree. tools
Geez Aerowood, Thanks!

The tee fitting I purchased look to be 45 degrees, but that's just my eyeballs?

Michael
Old 02-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Rodney - please send me your e-mail address and I'll put you on the list - gosh all these NM Airstreams that I didn't know existed.. thats really cool.

Art - I just installed - actually it was Lewster on this forum who jumped in a did it for me - a Cat heater. The only caution I would have is to try to run as minimal propane lines in the trailer as possible - I ran mine from the bottom up - if that makes sense - there are probably two sizes of propane line with your trailer - I would think you would want to come off the large one - ie more gas

Aero - wow now your getting technical - I was going to recomment a double flair too, I had no idea, though, there were different angles - are they both common and how do you know which one you need?

Ken J
Rally
restoration rally
Old 02-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Aircraft is 37 and commerical is 45, I'm going to use all aircraft because fitting selection is greater and it's alot more user friendly and cost is not that much higher.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #92
Mamber

1973 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
This sounds great and it looks as though the dates are good for us--so we're signing on. We look fwd to some great tips and info. Ours is more of a drastic remodel than a "restoration" but many of the issues (axle replacement) are the same and others (grey tanks above the floor) are not: the exchange of ideas and approaches should be rewarding!

Rob & Sadie
'73 Safari: getting there, but still a work in progress!
Old 02-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
gosh all these NM Airstreams that I didn't know existed.. thats really cool.
KEN
LOOKS LIKE YOUR GOING TO GET SOME NEW MEMBERS FOR 4CU AND WITH THIS GOOD IDEA OF YOURS.HAVE LOTS OF FUN OR WORK.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:51 AM   #94
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Rodney - please send me your e-mail address and I'll put you on the list - gosh all these NM Airstreams that I didn't know existed.. thats really cool.

Art - I just installed - actually it was Lewster on this forum who jumped in a did it for me - a Cat heater. The only caution I would have is to try to run as minimal propane lines in the trailer as possible - I ran mine from the bottom up - if that makes sense - there are probably two sizes of propane line with your trailer - I would think you would want to come off the large one - ie more gas

Aero - wow now your getting technical - I was going to recomment a double flair too, I had no idea, though, there were different angles - are they both common and how do you know which one you need?

Ken J
Ken,

You have double flairs on all of your fittings. It's the only way I install LP lines!!

BTW, I guess the install was good......SINCE YOU"RE STILL AROUND!!!!
Old 02-02-2008, 05:54 AM   #95
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Mike,

Short of spending big bucks on a super-duper double flair tool, and after going thru 3 mid-priced units that did not make perfect doubles, I actually found one that does the job very nicely at (and I hate to say it) Harbor Freight!

The most important thing to look for is a perfect circle when the 2 halves of the tool are mate and locked. Other than that.........the majority of problems are operator error.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The most important thing to remember is the cut needs to be a perfect 90 degree to the tube and that the cut end is free of any burrs, with polished even better. Seamless tubing is also a must.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Ok - we are now on a waiting list - at least for now - the response for our first year Vintage Restoration Rally has been incredible -

SO - we are limited by meeting hall space, not camper spaces - so for now please send my your names for the waiting list and I'm going to see if I can figure out a way to accomodate more for our planning of (really great I may add) presentations that we have scheduled.

I want to make this the best most informative get together of vintage trailers ever put on - so let me check into a couple of ideas I have for space - one being right next door - ie Camping World - maybe they have a nice meeting room.

If you of you locals have any ideas, please let me know - Garcia tents?

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 02-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Ok back to regular programming........

Ah Aircraft is 37 - when that has to be better.....?

Lewster, my friend, glad you jumped in - Lew is the BEST - I was running around for the balloon fiesta and he jumped in and ended up installing my Cat heater - my plan was to have him help - but I have to admit, I really wasn't any help at all. The Harbour Freight Flair tool did a really beautiful job of making those DOUBLE flairs.

Have a questions for you Aero - we used schedule "L" tube (expensive - yiks) and I know gas calls for "K" - but according to home depot its good for gas - what does anyone know/think?

Ken j.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 02-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
The most important thing to remember is the cut needs to be a perfect 90 degree to the tube and that the cut end is free of any burrs, with polished even better. Seamless tubing is also a must.
One more suggestion - PRACTICE making the double flares. Get some extra tubing and practice. Several times, until you are comfortable with how the tool works and the results look good. It will save you a lot of pain if you louse up the end in the trailer after you have cut it to the right size.

Also, clean out any shavings from the cutting before you hook it up to your appliance if you (shudder) use a hacksaw instead of a tubing cutter - the preferred and highly recommended tool. If one does not come with the flair tool order one at the same time.

Barry
Old 02-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
A little update

I checked with the campground owner (Did I mention how great she is..!)

A tent would be ok - but not cheap - in order to make it work we would need to at least double the size of the rally - which would be ok with me.

So for now I encourage you to put your name on the waiting list if you are interested in attending - I'll see how many we get and see if want to expand this rally and get a tent.

We also put a planning committee together, so I think the talent on the committee will put on a great rally, so stay tuned as we do some organizing.

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Closed Thread