Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2007, 08:44 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Pittsford , New York
Info wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Rob,

Thanks for the information on the VAC parade date. How set in stone is June 27? I hope that date holds so that we have more time from So Cal to Bozeman. Do you know the date of the VAC meetings?

See you in Bozeman.

Bill
We are making our plans for the year now as well - any information would be great (that is set in stone)
sigv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Rob,

Thanks for the information on the VAC parade date. How set in stone is June 27? I hope that date holds so that we have more time from So Cal to Bozeman. Do you know the date of the VAC meetings?

See you in Bozeman.

Bill
Bill ~

The VAC Parade is "set in stone" (as much as things ever are) for 10:00 Friday Morning the 27th of June. I am still waiting on the IBT for final dates & times of the other VAC scheduled events...which should occur after the Winter IBT Meeting in January. All the Bozeman International Rally info will be posted online here at AirForums in a dedicated thread, on the VAC website, the WBCCI forums, VA List and Vintage Advantage as soon as I receive the confirmation.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #43
Certifiable

. , .
Hot off the presses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigv
We are making our plans for the year now as well - any information would be great (that is set in stone)
Check out the latest thread on the upcoming East Coast VAC Rally. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...lly-38888.html
Old 04-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2006 Base Camp
Earlysville , Virginia
I live in Charlottesville Virginia and know the Blue Ridge Parkway inside and out. Need feedback or someone to brainstorm with? Let me know. I've got a great spot with a lake and a beach in very tucked away place right off the Pkwy!
Bizcamp
bizcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:45 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcamp
I live in Charlottesville Virginia and know the Blue Ridge Parkway inside and out. Need feedback or someone to brainstorm with? Let me know. I've got a great spot with a lake and a beach in very tucked away place right off the Pkwy!
Bizcamp
Bizcamp, they already have a site selected and the rally planned. See this thread.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:53 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Not interested in attending anything that conflicts with Bozeman.

If it's an official WBCCI VAC rally I'd be surprised if you get the official nod of approval for anything that draws members away from Bozeman.

Then again, if it's just four days of travel from VA to Bozeman you still might capture some Bozeman attendees with a fast paced 'hold onto the seat of your pants' caravan to Bozeman.

Me -- I'll be in Bozeman by the 22nd...

__

Like we care about the official nod. I wouldn't go to International if they paid my way and paid for the diesel. The good think about fuel going up is that it could bring an end to International and change how the club is run for the better.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:03 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Have not been around for a while....but just could not help seeing the posts here...

so a bit of food for thought.....

....and how many WBCCI members are there in total???

....and how many on average attend any given International in the past say 5-10 years

.... Yes that is right - not 100% eh? So the remaining percent - what you think they would just sit at home and say oh hum I'm not going anywhere cause it might conflict with International.

...and really do we think WBCCI is that narrow minded to shut down all the other events.

...is it not about participation that joining a club is all about - no matter what the event. "variety" pack sweeties and reality. Not everyone can be everywhere all the time - but the more events you have the MORE MEMBERS YOU HAVE PARTICIPATING!!!! Keeps them in the club so that when that day comes when they can participate in an International - they just might go.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:

Maybe I've got more of an organizer's mindset than an attendees mindset. Maybe people should have a real problem with that instead...

__
If you mean a mindset wherein a small group of people tell a larger group of people when they can have a WBCCI activity then I would agree you have an organizer's mindest. If you mean building an active grassroots cadre of attendees', then I would disagree with you. But I don't see it as a real problem in that most of the people I camp with don't pay attention to the former mindest anyway.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:06 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Well, I can say this, with my tow vehicle costing me $35 for every 100 miles I drive just in fuel cost, there's no way I'm even considering traveling to Bozeman, I'd be looking at over $3,500 in fuel expenses! I would be more likely to fly there and tent camp in a primitive campground. I'm glad I'm pulling a lighter weight vintage Tradewind rather than a heavier model or something, for which I'd need a bigger tow vehicle and more gas expense, plus the added vehicle payment.

Until we get another vehicle paid off or our house paid off, there's no way we can afford to travel very far or for very long, we have to get back so we can work more! We do want to travel alot when we get out of debt enough. With a house payment, vehicle payments, all different kinds of insurance, taxes, everything is just getting too high. A few years ago, we were living well below our means and had extra, over the past year or so business has cut way back and I can't seem to be able to make up the difference anymore.

I'm just glad we live in part of the country where all kinds of good camping is real close by! We still plan to camp, just not very far away. I like WBCCI events and especially our local unit but over all Wally Club is geared for retirees. I hope to be among that number some day but in the mean while, it's a struggle. WBCCI needs to take that in account if they want to appeal to "younger" (I'm over 40) AirStream owners who still have to work. Now I know you retireees out there will say "but we're on a fixed income and we can do it". Yes, I acknowledge that you all are doing it but lets face it, you got more than just social security going on for you, (last I checked you can't buy an airStream with SS) and most likely your house is paid off or you sold it so you can full time, which ain't bad, that's our eventual goal.

I think Wally Club needs to focus more on REGIONAL RALLIES which would make it easier for more people to attend. For those who can really travel, they can go to other regions.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Quote:
As gas prices go higher the WBCCI becomes more and more relevant. We've got more than 650 annual rallies all over north America, and that number will start to grow as more and more people will restrict their travel and stay closer to home. New units should actually start sprouting up as a result ...
__
I agree, this is the time for local unit members to be really promoting membership. I for one, feel it more relavent belonging to the WBCCI because of the local unit rather than belonging because of the national club. Of course it helps that my local unit had the determination to purchase land years ago and build their own camp, which is really the main reason I like belonging to WBCCI, it has something real to offer. I realize not all local units can do this but I feel it's important for the local unit members to have as many rallies involving their AirStreams as possible! They can reserve sites at a campground, find a land owner willing to allow camping on their property or even a nearby Scout camp may rent campsites out in the off season.

When I was in Boy Scouts, our troop, for decades, had a reputation as having the highset member retention and highest percentage of those who made it to Eagle Scout in the entire region. I feel it was due mostly to the fact that the troop's leadership was stringent on going on at least one campout a month, year 'round. I remember having a lot of pride belonging to that scout troop. (Still do) And we can instill a pride in AirStream owners belonging to the WBCCI, affiliated with a local unit!

The local WBCCI units have to have involvment, give the members a reason to actually use their AirStreams. I am so glad I am a member of WBCCI because having a monthly rally in which to go to and see friends and actually use our trailer. If we had bought Some Other Brand, it would probably just set in the back yard for all but one week a year, and that's the worse thing you can allow your AirStream (or any brand) to do, is to just sit! And that my friends, is one major reason I am proud we decided to buy an AirStream!! (A vintage one at that!)

To put it layman's terms, what WBCCI needs is a "campmeeting revival"!!, which can start at the local unit level.
WOW! I feel I preached so hard, I need to get me an icecream!!
Old 05-30-2008, 04:03 AM   #51
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I just read all that above... boy am I glad Paul organized a VAC rally for me to attend. Leo, some of us belong to the WBCCI for one reason. The reason is it is contingent on being able to join the VAC. Paul has put together a great rally with excellent events geared toward the vintage crowd. No one is trying to upstage or divert or subvert the WBCCI or the glorious International. The dates were picked so that those vintage units without AC could attend and still be somewhat comfortable. If someone is going to International, well they will go.
Also rallies local to the unit? The WDCU has members all over the USA, where would local be?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:33 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
I don't think people are trying to knock you off your opinion 65GT just that your opinion is not the only one out their.

You have every right to list all the reasons why you think the date and a buffer back off clearing of dates should also not be booked - to allow as many people to international as possible.

The other peoples opinions are just as valid. We all know you are not knocking the other events and how well they are being run - cause well that would just be rude right

I think my comment earlier was more - that there is more than the International. But not disputing that it is the largest and most prestigious event the WBCCI runs for its members. And when the time comes for anyone to make the decision to attend the International - various events booked in the vicinity are not going to deter their decision. When they are ready to go they will go.

It is sort of like the concept of a City - shutting down all the swimming pools because the big pool is having an International event. Keeping in mind that there are only so many spectator seats available. Thus all the daily participants would never have a chance to get in anyway...so why loose the revenue and participation by shutting all the pools down - what out of respect for the organizing volunteers - just don't get it

One also has to remember the decision to go to an international will most certainly cut out several other events in that season regardless of their dates. Time off and expense are more of the barriers people face than other events being booked in the area of the International Date.

Save from those members that use the summer as their full time travel - Rally to Rally (like hotel to hotel on a big long holiday) The extra attendees at the rally are going to be "local".....Someone asked what local would be - what would be that magic mile marker from an International - hard to say on a grand scheme - I am sure a statistician could figure out the average mean radius of past participants to the International...taking in to account the proximity of other units and their size as well. - Take out some of the variables like officers and organizers volunteers and full timers or repeat attendees - that make the event part of their schedule. Just compare the stats from "First Timers" from several Rallies - and compare to the various locations N/S/E/W.

One day I hope to make it to an International Rally - not exactly sure why at the moment - as 1000's of rigs lined up like sardines is not my idea of a big expense - but that could change - when our interests change.

In the interim we enjoy reading all about the Rallies, the People and love the varied opinions. They all give such insight to what this club is all about.

No one should ever feel they have to defend their opinion here....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Those two events are crowding the International, and the International, where there will be more Airstreams than anywhere else in 2008, is where *I* would rather be.

__
I'll be doing the East Coast and will be hosting a New England Unit Rally the weekend after July 4th. Otherwise I'ld be going to Saratoga. Some of our members are going to NY. Prehaps I should moan and groan about that. Frankly I think it is great people have a choice. Bigger is not better. I was to International in Vt. Gave up on the whole WBCCI thing after that. Went to a "forum rally" the next year and transferred to the NEU. Then there is how our officers were treated at International 2007. The petty political ....... of some of the long term members and lack of b.... of others makes the organization at that level a joke, IMHO..
Frankly if someone comes to my July Rally rather than International they are more likly to have a quality experience. I would have done July 4th but the event in questions is the following weekend. Welcome to Sailfest 2008, located in Downtown New London, CT
Old 05-31-2008, 07:16 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
In my mind... the WBCCI requiring that the "International" be the only thing going for a week and a half period in the middle of prime camping season is no way to properly treat it's members.

This is also no way to attract new members. The policy should be to encourage as many opportunities for folks to enjoy themselves while using their Airstreams as possible.

If the organizers of the "International" feel that the attendance numbers need to increase, then they need to do everything in their power to make it an event that in the minds of their members is a "can't miss" event. Making it the "only" event going will do nothing to attract attendees... it will only alienate the membership.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:35 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
So basically it is a courtesy that you are extending to not schedule events in conflict with the International. I think that is commendable. However the other side of the coin is that these rallies are not personal invitations to friends they are a major trip and expense for more than not. Competition in functions should spur planners to make events better, less expensive (you would think going to a club event would cost less as in discounted prices and not more than alternative and individual accommodations) more interesting and the place their target group wants to be. I am thinking that the amount of members that are going to another event at the same time that "might" have gone to International is relatively few. In fact I would think the events are planned for those who had no intention of going and would or could not. Making the Internationals appealing for the amount of time and expenditure one would incur is the real challenge and the necessary component behind the entire attendance issue. If it were so enticing and so valuable in the eyes of the participant they would go at all costs. And there are those that do that and feel that way. But for the majority of members I think most will only try it out if it is close by. It just doesn't have enough draw to have people sacrifice that much to get there. And that has little to do with some thing else going on. The Internationals are not able to compete so you don't stop the competition to rectify that. You improve the Internationals. And this competition I speak of isn't "the other event", but it is the competition of ones life and resources in time energy and dollars and how they want to spend it. You can only do so much in life and you have to make it count and not feel like you are squandering it. It would be a moot point if everyone saw the value in it and not require an action of loyalty to fall into the system as it is. That's not the kind of members the majority can afford to be these days. Guarantee and deliver the time of their life and you would have waiting lists to sign up.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:27 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Steve -- Where does it say the the WBCCI requires anything in the way of scheduling events around the International? As a local organizer, I would personally like to give those International Rally Organizers as much help in attracting the biggest possible attendance that they could get by not scheduling something in that time frame. I extend the exact same courtesy to our Region 2 Rally where most MetroNY members did not attend. There's a pretty big difference between required and a courtesy...
Whatever terminology you care to use... you are suggesting that scheduling another rally during the time of the "International" is discourteous. I am saying that suggesting that, is an insult to the members who are not able to attend the "International" and would like to have alternatives. This attitude, that the members need to sacrifice for the benefit, or in consideration of the event organizers or club leadership is what it driving this club down. The club is for the benefit of it's members and the leadership/organizers need to keep this in mind if they would like the club to flourish.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:54 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Why the hoofra?

This thread’s turn has become moot yet seems pointless to me. The East Coast VAC Rally is being held June 19-23. The International in Bozeman starts June 28. Paul planned a date so those wanting to go to Bozeman could still do so. Five other WBCCI units have scheduled rallies June 19-22 as well (Cape Cod, New England, New Jersey, East Tennessee, and Sierra Nevada ~ per the WBCCI website and excluding the Bozeman caravan rallies).

No one but the individual is responsible for what he or she chooses. Why an individual chooses one thing over another is no one else’s business. If folks want to arrive at Bozeman early, that’s their choice. If folks want to attend both the Bozeman and East Coast VAC rally, that’s their choice. If folks want to attend only the East Coast VAC, that’s their choice. If folks want to attend any of the other five WBCCI rallies during same June 19-22 weekend, that’s their choice. If folks don’t want to rally with the WBCCI or VAC at all, that’s their choice.

Wally said it was all about having fun, just ask Pee Wee. If folks just want to go camping and have fun, that’s their choice.

One huge difference between human beings and other forms of life is the power of choice. And thank goodness we still have the freedom to choose for ourselves.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:33 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Over59 -- Not sure I get the "whole WBCCI thing" as it reads to me that you're all about your local unit and couldn't care less about the club itself (no, not putting words in your mouth -- just how I'm reading it), but it's GREAT that you're hosting rallies - kudos! The shut-out in Perry? There are two sides to every coin and we're likely to disagree on that one for sure. There is more than one party sharing blame for what happened there.

__
Well the "all about your local unit" shot returns. When I was done with the whole WBCCI thing I hadn't yet attended a local unit rally or a regional rally or an event of any kind. Vermont International was my first event. It was really cool seeing all those Airstreams lined up. My next outing was a Regional Rally where they served ham in hot water and ran out. Other than the open house few members gave us a second look including those whose unit we belonged to. It was poorly organized and clearly for the benefit of "the regulars". We even had first timer's stickers.

Attending a forum rally 4th of July weekend I connected with some members and decided try a New England Unit rally and made the switch.

I've gone off with other Airstreams on weekend rather than a unit rally because we wanted to do a particular event, ie BBQ Championships. Went to NY for Pagent of the Bands last year. Been trying to get to Cherry Blossum for several years. Some are going to Tanglewood during the Regional for fine food and classical music and fellowship. It's not my unit I'm about but people who are welcoming, who don't walk around with a copy of the blue book, who don't hide in their RV / trailer after dark watching TV. I'm about camping.

I hosted a BBQ rally last year where myself and several others prepared the food for all 90+ people. This year I'm hosting what will be a small rally of 10 units to attend the largest fireworks display on the east coast, yes, larger than NYC. Last night at dinner with next years unit president I committed to host a July 4th weekend rally. If this "club" wants to not die it should encourage units to have alternative events.

The Incident at Perry was an insult to every member of our unit. One petty "regular" with connections had the rules changed and the new rule applied just to our group. This is what WBCCI is about at the International and Regional One level in my opinion. No one has written an apology to the unit.

I agree that the millionaire members should fly out to International. Clearly if you are on the nominating committee it will be more of the same. Wish now I hadn't voted for you. Sorry Bob.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:51 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I'll say that I bought a camper so that I wouldn't have to travel by air. If I can't go to the International rally via camper, the last thing I'll want to do is go via airplane. I would only do that if there's some very pressing need for me to be there.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:03 AM   #60
Rivet Master

All,

I'm been sitting back watching this thread over the past week. I have to admit, everyone is making very good points and there is no wrong few on the subject. But, since this thread started out about the "East Coast VAC Rally" I would like to "being the host" explain why the dates were pick.

1. Not everyone will want to go to International, I wanted to give people "NOT" going something they could go to as well.

2. "If" someone "wanted" to do both "THEY COULD". You can leave on Sunday the 22nd and drive to Bozeman in four days no problem. You would get into Bozeman late Weds. Thats 500/600 miles a day for four days. I'm sure we all have done the big drive to get somewhere in our life.

3. School would be out for most if not all school systems up and down the east coast.

4. Would not interfere with most "family planned" vacations over the summer.

5. Temps in the area are still nice, it has not got the 95-100 degree days in the valley by that time.(Though anything can happen)

6. Only about 10-18% (pretty sure that number is close) of the membership of the WBCCI and/or the VAC will go to International. That leaves 82-90% of the rest of the membership without a rally to go to around that time. Offer them something.

7. Anytime later in the year makes it very hard to find a campground/location that will allow you to tie up 50+ sites up to a month away from the rally date. If I could get everyone to sign up one year in advance, I could get any dates I wanted, but most people will not commit that far out. I know between now and the rally I'll have people drop and some trying to sign up at the last minute.

I've learned as Past Prez of the WDCU and the current Region 2 VAC Guy, you will never make everyone happy no matter what you do. If you hit 80%, you have done good.

I think we all should be happy we have this problem. Being someone that has been to many rallies, hosted or co-hosted rallies and a caravan, we all want to go to as many as we can. We also when hosting a rally want as many people to come as we can. There's a rally the weekend before the East Coast VAC Rally that I would love to go to, but it will be very tuff to do so with mine the following weekend. I'm sure there will be some that because of going to that rally will make it tuff for them to come to the VAC rally. This is just how it is, no hard feelings. I wish it was not that way, but we only have so much time and money.

Maybe someday if we all get $$$$ we can go to every rally and have our personal driver, drive us through the night to the next rally like a rock-star. But, until then, we all must decide where and which rallies fit our current lives.