Old 01-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #29
Airstream Australia
Commercial Member

2013 27' FB International
Batemans Bay , NSW
Send a message via Skype™ to AS Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
I'd like to bring a 1962 Bambi, do the trip and then sell it there. The Bambi is 7' wide, 16' Long, about 2500 lbs with a 2" ball size.
That could be a very do-able as there have been Airstreams imported here prior to us becoming the dealer.

To give you an example, we have an owner of 1959 who is selling for $30,000.

The importation may be different if you are selling so I will keep that in mind as we work on importation details.
Ruby

Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

The WBCCI talked about doing a Caravan down under back in 1969 as a follow-up to the Capetown-Ciaro jig in 1959. But nothing ever came of it.

I and another person started working on this very trip back in 2007 for a 2009 date, found shippers, a company that ran caravans down under (made of the arrangements, camping, some meals, etc... and had a lead/tail car). We talked to a Toyota place about using diesel Landcruisers at the time.

When the US tanked in Aug/Sept 2008, it canned everything since the money to do it went out the window overnight.

We thought you could pair-up with someone, buy a trailer together, first couple spends six weeks, second couple the second six weeks, sell trailer at the end and split the cost/profit (if any NOT).

Could be fun.

Doug, What's the stats on a 1966 Globetrotter?

Enjoy,

Old 01-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post

Could be fun.

Doug, What's the stats on a 1966 Globetrotter?

Enjoy,
Here ya go mate http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...8dec9e2aed.pdf
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #32
Rivet Master

I guess, I need to put my 66 Globetrotter on a diet! 96" (8 feet) is wider than a 1977 Safari.

Oh well, my mother always told me I was to big for my britches! I never thought it would apply to my trailer too!

Enjoy,
Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS Australia View Post
Hi Vivian - thank for details. The max width for vehicles in Australia is 8'. We are including in our planning a option of leasing ow vehicles so you will not have to bring yours and you will be sitting on the correct side of the vehicle (right side) so you can drive on the left side of the road!

As we get deeper into the planning we anticipate approaching the federal authorities to get any exceptions we may need for oversize Airstreams. We anticipate that will be possible but think it will be easier and less expensive if we get a bulk arrangement for tow vehicles. With all these details, you can see why we are planning for 2015 and not tomorrow!!
Ruby
So at 7'8" wide the Safari will work! Great! The only difficulty would be the door of the Safari on the wrong side, I guess.

We do have an '82 Toyota Land Cruiser Diesel (Troop Carrier) brought to the US from OZ so it is correct to drive on the left side of the road. The only problem is its top speed is 55 mph, so it's pretty slow for Interstate use, but we only use it backcountry so doesn't matter. Would the slow speed be a problem for this caravan if we shipped it over too?

Vivian
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
I guess, I need to put my 66 Globetrotter on a diet! 96" (8 feet) is wider than a 1977 Safari.

Oh well, my mother always told me I was to big for my britches! I never thought it would apply to my trailer too!

Enjoy,
Don't know who made that chart, this is more like it http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...9704a8ce2a.jpg
at 7'6" the width is better.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #35
Airstream Australia
Commercial Member

Batemans Bay , NSW
to all interested in coming to Australia with your Airstream for less than 12 months
Temporary import options
o Carnet
This ‘Carnet de Passage en Douane’ is an international agreement which allows the temporary import of a vehicle for up to 12 months by visitors to Australia. The carnet is obtained in the country of residence.

see this website http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/index.aspx
http://www.racq.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/3187/New_CPD_Application.pdf - this is form from Aus to other countries...FYI
http://www.caa.ca/?s=carnet&submit=Search&lang=en this appears to be what to use from USA and Canada.

Let us all know what you find out if you are pursuing actually coming! This is very good news that I have obtained from our engineer. thanks for the help!

I am working on finding a source to lease a tow vehicle for those who don't want to bring in their own. More when I have it!.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #36
Cecelia

1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS Australia View Post
214!! we have an idea that there may be 200 Airstreams in OZ. I know of a 1959, 1978, 1964 and 2 2010s. A Byron Bay hotel room and i have heard of another from the 1980's in Brisbane.

Anyone in Australia interested in joining WBCCI please contact me.

we are planning a 3 month tour in 2015 aimed at bringing in or brethern from USA and Canada but want to put trips together before then!
Hello,
I am very interested in joining the Australian arm of WBCCI, how do I go about doing that? I am just now shipping my '74 Argosy(which as far as I can tell is the only one in Australia!) I will definitely be joining the tour in 2015.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #37
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I would absolutely, positive take this trip and would put down $10,000 right now to safe a space. My trailer is a 2012 and it's 8.5' wide. The organizer would need to get an exception for us, I would think the Austrailian government would be thrilled to have an Airstream caravan. So, Ruby as AS Airstream could sign me up right now! While I would consider the use of a rental, I would be totally OK to spend the money and RT my TV and Trailer over there! I am getting EXCITED just thinking about this. Let's make this happen!!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #38
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Streamin'

This would be a nice way to see Australia.

Maybe a route like this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 9.30.09 PM.png
Views:	101
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	201532

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #39
Airstream Australia
Commercial Member

Batemans Bay , NSW
plans progressing for WBCCI tour around east half of Australia 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
This would be a nice way to see Australia.

Maybe a route like this?
Attachment 201532
Hello all
Yes a tour around the whole of the country is a popular passtime for Aussies,taking a year or more to do the whole tour!

Given that Australia is basically the same size as the continental US - we are planning for a tour of the eastern half for 2015 and are planning for a minimum of 3 months although with so much to see it may take 6 months to do it justice. We anticipate starting in June 2015 to take advantage of the cooler temps in the northern part of the country. That is subject to change as the details develop.

We are working on going places that caravanners (Gray Nomads) wouldn't normally be able to camp/glamp and will have guides to give us history, geology, biology, Archaeology, culture and any other knowledge of all of the areas we will be visiting.

Visitor visas allow for 6 month tourist visas, the carnet allows the travel trailer to be in the country for 12 months and it must be removed from the country not sold in Australia. We are working on a tour that allows those who wish to stay for the full year to take an overseas trip to one of our neighboring countries, Thailand, Vietnam, Fiji, etc and return to Australia for another 6 months.

We know the cost of transporting your own Airstream is not an inexpensive activity so we are also working on a rental arrangement for those of you who want to come from overseas. We already have a purchase/buyback on new Airstreams. The purchase price of the 762 (27FB changed for Australia) is $135,000 AUD. The buyback for the 762 excellent condition is $120,000AUD. The 624 (23FB changed for Australia) is $115,000AUD with a buyback at $100,000AUD. The order time as of this writing is 6 months so we all have to plan ahead.

The tow vehicle is another matter that we are working on. Australia tow vehicles are generally maxed out at 3500kg (3.5 T) towing capacity so if you are bringing your heavier Airstream we will have to figure out how to get a tow vehicle that can handle more than 3500kg. If you are interested, please send me an email at Ruby@AandA.com.au.

As you can tell, there are lots of logistics to work out not only for overseas Airstreamers but for the actual tour.

I would love to have your questions and will be working on tour details in the months to come!
Old 12-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #40
Airstream Australia
Commercial Member

Batemans Bay , NSW
lets make it happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I would absolutely, positive take this trip and would put down $10,000 right now to safe a space. My trailer is a 2012 and it's 8.5' wide. The organizer would need to get an exception for us, I would think the Austrailian government would be thrilled to have an Airstream caravan. So, Ruby as AS Airstream could sign me up right now! While I would consider the use of a rental, I would be totally OK to spend the money and RT my TV and Trailer over there! I am getting EXCITED just thinking about this. Let's make this happen!!
Hello - I am so happy to have our first committed Airstreamer! We are not quite ready to take your deposit but would like to be in touch directly to start working on your specific needs.

First to mind is the weight of your 28' - that will be a starting point to figure out the tow vehicle. We have learned the Carnet allows you to bring your 8.5' wide vehicle in and just in case we can also get the exception for a wide vehicle which is what I am anticipating for most who come from overseas.

Please contact me at ruby@AandA.com.au so we can go into more details.

YES - I am excited too - as a transplanted American, I can tell you there is so much to see here. (not to mention, kangaroos, koalas, echidnas etc!!!)
Ruby
Old 12-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #41
Airstream Australia
Commercial Member

Batemans Bay , NSW
WBCCI in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbrand View Post
Hello,
I am very interested in joining the Australian arm of WBCCI, how do I go about doing that? I am just now shipping my '74 Argosy(which as far as I can tell is the only one in Australia!) I will definitely be joining the tour in 2015.
Hi - the WBCCI unit for Australia is now up and running! Our first rally was in October in Tathra on the south coast of NSW.

Please go to WBCCI.org and join the international club, select the Downunder unit (the name will be changing to Airstream Australia soon) We will collect the dues for Australia once we have your membership from the parent organization.

I know of lots of vintage Airstreams but have not run across an Argosy!

We look forward to having you join the club!
regards
Ruby
Old 12-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #42
Airstream Australia
Commercial Member

Batemans Bay , NSW
and - my apologies fr the late reply - i missed this post until now - sorry!
ruby