Old 02-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #99
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Is any one going to stay around after the rally? We will be coming through around the 21st. We would love to meet some of you in the area. We will be leaving our rig in the area this summer/fall. We will be on the motorcycle from LA checking out the area.

Phil& Laura

Old 02-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #100
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
There is not much on the ground at the area, but it has a very large transient bird population. Many birds can be seen near the lagoon area. I believe the rangers have a bird walk on Saturday mornings. I will find out more information as I am going to the park tomorrow to visit. My flyfishing club is holding a rally at the same site so it gives me an excuse to visit, throw a few flies and check out thing.

We currently have 33 Airstreams that will be camped at the rally. We may have a couple show up at the last minute. If you have sent money to me you just have to tell the rangers that you are part of the Four Corners Rally and they will hand you a pass. Parking will be a little tighter then last year with the additional units attending. The last people who arrive will be tested on their parking skills, but it should not be a problem. I attended a rally at the same location with the TCT an we had about 50 and it worked well.

Don't forget, if you have a folding table, please bring it. We need tables for setting out the food for the pot luck. If you can bring a little firewood, that would be great as well. A snack to share at the Happy Hour is encouraged. Jan will make a few tasty items and we will try to keep the M-Ball filled.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Lamy , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Geez that looks neat. And not a real tree to get in the way of the views either.

So what kind of critters hang out there? Snakes? Lizards? Armadillos? Spiders? Skunks?

- - - - - %< - - - -

Barry
Well lets see - the lizards eat the spiders, the snakes eat the lizards, while the skunks eat the snakes. Armadillos are, on the other hand, in danger of being carried off - chile fixins with the bowl attached.

TAC NM-1
Four Corners Unit Treasurer
WBCCI 5279, AIR #24915
KF5RGU
Howard E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #102
Mr. Peeps, Pull-It Master

2007 25' International CCD
Pleasanton , California
We're Packed and ready to roll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
We currently have 33 Airstreams that will be camped at the rally. We may have a couple show up at the last minute. If you have sent money to me you just have to tell the rangers that you are part of the Four Corners Rally and they will hand you a pass. Parking will be a little tighter then last year with the additional units attending. The last people who arrive will be tested on their parking skills, but it should not be a problem. I attended a rally at the same location with the TCT an we had about 50 and it worked well.
Hi everyone! The trailer is stocked and hooked up to our truck, and Peep is so excited, he can hardly cluck. We're pulling out tomorrow morning. Can't wait to see you all at the rally. We're heading to Phoenix to visit family, and will arrive at the Rally on Friday. We have a blackened corn salad for the potluck and some goodies for cocktail time as well as the potluck breakfast (assuming I can wake up that early)

Old 02-09-2008, 11:30 PM   #103
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
On the road again!

Safe travels Peeps!
I will be leaving Houston Texas, Monday morning
Looking forward to meeting you westies.

Let the adventures begin!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:26 AM   #104
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Jan and I visited the park Saturday and everything looks great! My fly fishing club has the site rented this weekend and we enjoyed a great pot luck dinner with them.

The park has a list with all the names of the people who have paid, they will give you your pass when you arrive. If you attended last year you will remember that there were a lot of thorns that the dogs and bike tires were picking up. Te thorn population is way down this year and that is good news.

It looks like it will be a great weekend! Please drive safely to the event and we will see you there when you arrive.

Richard

Old 02-10-2008, 07:53 AM   #105
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
How's the fishing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Jan and I visited the park Saturday and everything looks great! My fly fishing club has the site rented this weekend and we enjoyed a great pot luck dinner with them. .
Richard,

How's the fishing? Should I bring my gear? Waders? Rod weights? Likely fish and sizes? Oh, got to get a license too, I suppose.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #106
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Mike,
I did not get an opportunity to wet any flies yesterday (long story). However the report was that fishing was slow. They have had a few recent storms and the fish are not very active right now. One of the rangers that I spoke to said that they are due for a stocking on Monday with a few thousand in the lagoons and several hundred in the Verde River. If you fish the lagoon you can fish from shore or from a float tube. Wading into the lagoon is not permitted. If you fish the river, wading is permitted.

You can get a fishing license at any of the locations listed here: http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/docum...List071207.pdf
Don't forget that you will need to get a trout stamp as well as a general fishing license. You used to be able to buy one on line, but they had problems with the company they out sourced that to and the program was suspended.

The area is looking really great this year. There is snow showing on the mountains above Jerome and the white peaks of Flagstaff are showing very brightly. Several deer have been seen in the park as well are a large bird population. I am sure you will have many great photo opportunities.

Richard

Old 02-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #107
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
FYI, anyone who is traveling North on I-17 from Phoenix to get to Cottonwood should be aware of the following:
  • A construction zone exists from Happy Valley Road (North Phoenix) to just North of the Carefree Hwy exit. Be prepared for slow travel in that area.
  • The rest area at Sunset Point is closed for renovation.
  • Police have stepped up speed enforcement in the New River / Black Canyon City area. Be alert to posted speed changes.
We live near the 101 and 7th Ave in North Phoenix. Our travel time to the park was 1 1/2 hours yesterday. We did not have the trailer and traveled at the posted speed limit (most of the time ).

BTW, fuel in the Cottonwood area ranges from $3.00 per gallon to around $2.85 for regular gas. Fuel prices are subject to change without notice.

Richard

Old 02-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #108
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Open House?

Hi Richard
Do you mind if a couple of Airstream wantabees stop by
and visit?
Are you going to have a open house?
Tom
Old 02-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #109
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The plan is to have an open house on Saturday afternoon from 1 to 3. We will be located in the Raven Loop group site which is located very close to the parks entrance. The park does charge a $6 fee per car for day use.

Please stop by and say HI!

Richard

Old 02-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #110
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Hi Richard
We are going to Dead Horse on Monday AM. I hope to get into group area.What parking spot DO YOU want so I do not take it?
Is Campground full? PM me or email repaircraftsvc@aol.com
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #111
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
We need the first spot on the left side as you enter the area. It would be just west of the rest rooms. I verified with the park that no one has the area rented after my fishing club leaved today, so there should be no problem staying in that area. If there is a problem at the gate, ask to speak to Wanda, she is terrific and is the person I have made the arrangements her.

See you Thursday!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Park2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	54056  

Richard

Old 02-10-2008, 11:46 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
I'm sooo jealus that so many of can head out there so soon. We'll be there Sat. so please save us a spot.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote