Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
BC Family Vintage Rally Aug 13-17

We attended this rally that was held at Hazelmere RV Park in Surrey, BC. A WBCCI event hosted by Iain Cameron, the soon to be president of the region. This was I believe the third annual. What an outstanding time we had. It was all of 15 minutes from our home so I can't believe we haven't done the others .

The folks were extremely welcoming, and there was a real mix of people in attendance. Many vintage trailers and then there were many newer trailers but with vintage owners . It was interesting to hear them talk about how they started with trailers like our vintage units when they were either new or almost new (the trailers). Some folks came a long way and it was quite a treat to see Dick and Judy (DeamArt) come in with the '58 Cadillac towing their awesome '58 Flying Cloud. Iain had his '55 - 18 footer, and Mel and Lee and Dave and Debby were in with their '65 Suburbans and early 60's trailers. A real hoot and as mentioned the folks were more than welcoming. They were excited to see new folks showing up, were fun to listen to as they reminisced, and had some good advice and good knowledge about things we'd wondered about since starting down the Airstream path. Even had a brand newbie RV'ing couple show up and several folks spent quite a bit of time with them making sure they were comfortable with how their vintage Airstream worked and towing rules and responsibilities.

For those of you who are wondering about WBCCI and have read all the negative stuff that pops up on the Forums and elsewhere I strongly encourage you to shrug it off and go to a WBCCI rally and see for yourselves what it is really all about. It is nothing but camping, good company, having fun, and meeting some wonderful people. Yes, there's some negativity at the top end but that will go away as the new executive teams move up the ladder.

To Iain and the folks who helped out with this event and the longer term members who came out to ensure the newbies were made welcome a huge thanks. We need more of these within half an hour from home.

Oh yeah, for anyone coming to the Vancouver, BC area and looking for a nice CG the one we were at, Hazelmere RV Park (www.hazelmere.ca) is a great place and very family oriented. It is 8 blocks north of the Canada/USA border.

Barry
Old 08-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
I agree Barry, this was a fabulous rally and we are still in awe of how friendly and welcoming everyone was. This was our first time attending this rally also, but it definitely won't be our last. Big thanks to Iain and everyone else for putting on such a fun weekend!
Old 08-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Iain

1955 18' Globetrotter
1987 23' Sovereign
Kelowna , British Columbia
Nice write up of the rally, Barry. I too appreciate how our BC unit members welcomed everyone and enjoyed spending time with them at our rally. For quite a few people, this was their first WBCCI rally, and they traveled quite far to come. The informal, less structured approach was good for young families and allowed folks to visit the Vancouver area during the day, while still having enough time to participate in rally activities.

Here's some rally photos, and visit our rally photo page here on airforums for more.

TCT
rareair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
I love the combinaton of a vintage trailer with a vintage tow vehicle. Very nice!
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
Klatawa (to travel)

1965 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Bremerton , Washington
We also enjoyed a great rally! Was a nice mix of trailers and owners, and everyone "mixed it up".
2015 Chev Silverado HC
Klatawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Correction on Iain's new role in the BC Unit

I should correct my mistake and note that Iain is moving to incoming president of the BC Unit , not the region. I have much grander visions for his future than he has...........first the Unit, then the Region, then......................okay, I admit it, the song First we take Manhatten song was playing in my head as I typed this. Oh boy, I don't know where that one came from but it must be VERY GOOD ginger ale I'm sipping.

Barry
Old 08-18-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Sorry we couldn't make it but we will be there next year. We went last year and loved it. Mel don't get to attached to that spot.
Gerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
I love the combinaton of a vintage trailer with a vintage tow vehicle. Very nice!
Thank you. Then when you add into the equation a vintage driver - well, it can get a tad scary .
Old 09-05-2009, 01:57 AM   #9
Aluminegg

2008 19' Safari SE
Vancouver 2010 , BC - The Best Place On Earth
Although I don't own an AS yet, I attended this function as well, albeit briefly. I have been looking for a awhile (dreaming for much longer) for a 19' so I took a drive out to Hazelmere to introduce myself and ask the experts all the questions I could come up with. Barry is correct in saying this is a fantastic group of people. Myself and my wife parked the FJ and walked up to total strangers, and with 5 minutes my wife and I were sitting in Nick and Joanie's Bambi discussing who's bring the Scotch when I do get my trailer. Within 15 minutes of arriving Gene graciously took me under his wing and walked the site pointing out different trailers, the work done to them (or not), and introducing me to more members. How fun! Unforunately I cannot become a member until I'm an owner, so the pressure is on.
Thanks again Gene for your wonderful hospitalitiy this day. Hopefully next year I'll be a member and we'll discuss the finer things in life over a nice glass of red, or a Dutch beer!

Oh, and Joanie, keep on eye an Nick, he seems to be a bit of a rascal.

Frank
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote