Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
Anyone remember Sherman Conover #2252?

I'm trying to research the history of my '58 Flying Cloud (2252). I've found that it went on #48 1966 Alaska, #80 1971 Old World Europe, #O8 1977 Great Britain.

On Thursday, I went to Alexander Valley, in Sonoma County, and dropped in on the old address of "Sherman and Alexandra Conover" where the previous owners of the Flying Cloud lived. No one was home, but I left a photo of the trailer with a hand-written note in their mailbox. I'm not hoping for much, but maybe.

Next, I went to the Healdsburg Historical Society and met up with Holly, the researcher. We looked at the microfilm records of the newspaper and found a mention of the Conovers having purchased 13 acres in 1959, planning on "living in their trailer while building their new home..."

During my visit, I met Susan Young Sheehy, daughter of vintner Robert Young (89). She was going to an historical society event that night and promised to ask her dad about the Conovers. Her aunt actually lived next door, so she was going to ask her as well.

Turns out, sadly, that no one remembered them, other than remembering that they once lived there. I guess they spent their time traveling in the Airstream rather than partying locally.

The newspaper article (attached) mentions two daughters, but googling them hasn't been productive.

Still hoping...

-Michael
Attached FilesconoversHtrib59.pdf (76.0 KB, 2 views
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Giving you a bump and hope you get an answer. How cool to find out about some of the history of your coach. Kinda like genealogy for Airstreams. Don't you wish their riveted aluminum skins could talk!
Old 03-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
bevman -- I note that you've brought this up in a different subforum earlier this afternoon. Privacy issues place the mods in a difficult situation at times. But this time I'm glad to say there is nothing more we can tell you -- no AIR Forum members are registered with the last name of Conover. Best wishes in your quest!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
This kind of info, if you can get it is really cool. We are lucky enough to have complete history of our 85 Sovereign. Granted its not as old as the one you are trying to track down, but its still nice. We even have a picture of all three of the owners. We call it a family portrait. Our daughter and son-in-law have a 1975. They are the second owners. Last year while clean out the trailer they found the original purchase papers.
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
bevman -- I note that you've brought this up in a different subforum earlier this afternoon. Privacy issues place the mods in a difficult situation at times. But this time I'm glad to say there is nothing more we can tell you -- no AIR Forum members are registered with the last name of Conover. Best wishes in your quest!
I'm certainly mindful of privacy issues. I'm certain that the Conovers are long gone. I would like to be able to contact the family members that inherited the trailer -- I'd do the snail mail thing, so they could answer or ignore. Since I bought it from an Airstream dealer, they were the registered owner at the time, and they were reluctant to tell me the owner from whom they got the trailer, an attitude that I can understand.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Since there seems to be a WBCCI # on the trailer you might try PM'ing streamer23. I believe he has made an effort to keep old WBCCI member catalogs and may be able to get you close to who held the member number last.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:35 PM   #7
_

. , .
i'm sure u realize this bevman..

the wb' numbers belong to the person, not the trailer.

2252 was last used in 2006-7 by a pennsylvania family.

they aren't listed in the 2008 directory, although they may have re up'd after the directory deadline.

so you might be able to acquire that number now.

also u might locate someone else that went on one those 60s or 70s caravans, is living and remembers the family in question.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:15 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Since there seems to be a WBCCI # on the trailer you might try PM'ing streamer23. I believe he has made an effort to keep old WBCCI member catalogs and may be able to get you close to who held the member number last.
Yes, streamer23 was very helpful in learning which of the caravans that the trailer was on. My thanks for that!

Any thoughts on how I find living members of those early caravans? Shouldn't the WBCCI have photo archives from those trips?
Old 03-16-2008, 07:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevman
... Any thoughts on how I find living members of those early caravans? Shouldn't the WBCCI have photo archives from those trips?
Hi Bevman: WBCCI HQ will not have photos of every caravan ever taken, as there simply are far, far too many caravans each year for that to happen. At best, they might have some photos of each year's International Rally, but that's about it.

Some caravans may have issued photos albums or trip memories after the fact, but that would depend on the caravan leaders or an enthusiastic volunteer. And perhaps a member or two organized their own photo album, but the chances of finding one of those is very slim. If the particular caravans you are interested were written up in a club publication, there might be a photo or two with such an article. You might contact WBCCI Historian Loretta Moss and see if she has any other ideas. Remember, however, most people throw old stuff away, including relatives after people pass away. Best of luck in your search!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Knowing the history of our Airstreams would be so cool. I do wish the walls could talk.

Mine was sold to the original owners by a dealer in Chicago - Robert Crist. The family apparently took the coach to Boynton Beach Florida and must have liked it there. Their name, their children's names and Boynton Beach Florida are painted on the side of the trailer, along with a palm tree. The initial of their last name is in metal in the screen door. They must have really loved this trailer.

I tracked the family history down to the Chicago area but then ran into a dead end. I would love to be able to contact them and see if they have good memories of the trailer, what they named it and if they have any pictures of it in it's earlier days.

I plan to preserve the painted on items and keep the screen door the same....after all....they have survived the years and history of my trailer.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Wow, what neat stories about trailer history!

I'm lucky to be the third owner of my trailer. First owners were in the Oregon/SW WA area as well, and he wrote his name in the owners manual. Second owner is still alive and 'streamin, and we see them at rallys.

It would be neat to have pictures of the previous families enjoying the trailer. It's great knowing where it's been. I know mine has been to Alaska many times. Hopefully we'll get to take it there ourselves someday!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Hi Bevman: WBCCI HQ will not have photos of every caravan ever taken, as there simply are far, far too many caravans each year for that to happen. At best, they might have some photos of each year's International Rally, but that's about it.
Fred,
Does the club have a roster of the rigs and people that went on each of the early caravans? If so, I could reference the people that went and see if there are any ancients at the Bozeman rally. Too much to ask?

-Michael
Old 03-16-2008, 11:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevman
Fred, does the club have a roster of the rigs and people that went on each of the early caravans? If so, I could reference the people that went and see if there are any ancients at the Bozeman rally. Too much to ask? -Michael
Hi Michael:

HQ may have the information, but it is printed in the annual WBCCI directory by member, not by caravan. In other words, looking up a member will tell you which national (and early company) caravans that member went on. But I don't know if you can easily access that information by caravan to learn which members went on a particular caravan. Again, call HQ or speak to WBCCI Historian Loretta Moss.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #14

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Mountain View , California
For Bevman - Sherman L Conover & 1958 Airstream

Sherman and Alex Conover were my wife's parents. Their first trip in their 1958 Airstream was to visit us in the winter in New Jersey. We have more info on them and their travels including a map with the route for a 6-month tour of Europe with an Airstream Caravan. Let me know how we can send you a copy of the map and other info. - Tom Poulter
poultert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Windcrest , Texas
Pretty cool! How's that for a stroke of luck!
Silver Dolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
This is, indeed, very cool! I thought that the trail had run cold and now, today, imagine my surprise in getting a message from the direct descendant of the previous owner.

I've sent Tom a private message to see how we can exchange information. This is certainly a great testament to how tight the Airstream family fabric is woven.

-Michael
- Mark Twain