Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #197
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 870
Images: 7
Not a problem....we have amazing ear plugs. It seems that most people have modern generators that burn efficiently. Air quality....my main concern.
__________________

__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #198
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,799
Images: 8
Last year, the furnace ran at night and sucked hard on the two OEM batteries. We had a 150 watt solar panel poorly installed by the selling dealer and we needed to use one of our two 2,000 watt Honda generator sets to top up the battery during the day. Once or twice, just to see if it worked, we hooked them together. We could only ran the toaster if a generator was connected as the Airstream 600 watt inverter was a joke.

This year with the new trailer and 800 watts of solar panel on the roof, I expect the generators will stay in the truck, but I will take them just in case... We can create 2800 watts of pure sine wave AC current, if needed, from four Lifeline 6Vdc 300-amp hour batteries crating 12Vdc and 600 amp-hours of power.

So, yes, recharging the batteries is necessary, the means to accomplish that goal vary widely among the two hundred Airstream entries to the power your trailer event co-located with the Balloon Festival.

In considering generator size, a Microwave requires over 1,600 watts and the convection microwave is closer to 1,850 watts. The new 1,000 watt Airstream factory inverter can not power those devices. Thus two 2,000 watt or a 3,000 watt generator are necessary to power just that device without hairdryers or air conditioners etc running. Do thorough AC power requirements homework before purchase.

The Honda 2,000 watt units weight around 50 pounds, the Honda 3,000 watt 3000is model is closer to 134 pounds...... I can personally handle the two 2,000 watt units one at a time, but the day is past I want to tackle 134 pounds alone. BTW. the Honda 3000is is significantly quieter then the 3000i.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:05 PM   #199
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 870
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Last year, the furnace ran at night and sucked hard on the two OEM batteries. We had a 150 watt solar panel poorly installed by the selling dealer and we needed to use one of our two 2,000 watt Honda generator sets to top up the battery during the day. Once or twice, just to see if it worked, we hooked them together. We could only ran the toaster if a generator was connected as the Airstream 600 watt inverter was a joke.

This year with the new trailer and 800 watts of solar panel on the roof, I expect the generators will stay in the truck, but I will take them just in case... We can create 2800 watts of pure sine wave AC current, if needed, from four Lifeline 6Vdc 300-amp hour batteries crating 12Vdc and 600 amp-hours of power.

So, yes, recharging the batteries is necessary, the means to accomplish that goal vary widely among the two hundred Airstream entries to the power your trailer event co-located with the Balloon Festival.

In considering generator size, a Microwave requires over 1,600 watts and the convection microwave is closer to 1,850 watts. The new 1,000 watt Airstream factory inverter can not power those devices. Thus two 2,000 watt or a 3,000 watt generator are necessary to power just that device without hairdryers or air conditioners etc running. Do thorough AC power requirements homework before purchase.

The Honda 2,000 watt units weight around 50 pounds, the Honda 3,000 watt 3000is model is closer to 134 pounds...... I can personally handle the two 2,000 watt units one at a time, but the day is past I want to tackle 134 pounds alone. BTW. the Honda 3000is is significantly quieter then the 3000i.
Was that the fan in you gas heater that caused the high demand?

I'm hoping that our soon to be installed 325 watts of panels will support our 12 volt needs.....gas safety system, gas heater fan, fantastic fans, hood fan, LEDs, TV, radio, dvd etc. The 1000 watt factory inverter should charge laptops, phones, Nooks and camera batteries.
__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #200
Rivet Master
 
Ken J's Avatar
 
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: 1975 25' Tradewind
Posts: 3,363
Images: 14
Wow wow wow - we have one little battery, blankets and a Olympic heater to take the slight off in the morning - and we run the generator only when we run the fan to cool off the Airstream and really don't need it for that
__________________
1956 Flying Cloud
Founder :
Four Corners Unit
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #201
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,799
Images: 8
When off the grid, the refrigerator and water heater have their major source of energy from propane, along with the three burner cooktop and the gas oven if installed. The two appliance have a small 12Vdc parasite power draw for the electronics along with the CO detector with it's night light LED (since it on all the time). When the thermostat is turned on, it draws a small amount of 12Vdc power all the time. So all that is is small potatoes to when the furnace does it's job. That blower is both fairly loud and a major 12Vdc power consumer. There are electronics that start the flame and safety circuits to ensure the fan is running before the flame starts and serve as a flame kill switch if the fan quits with the flame operating.

If one has an inverter installed and turned on, it draws power inverting even with no AC power being consumed.

If the trailer lacks LED lights, then there is considerably more power draw with the 12Vdc lighting. Non LEDs spend their "on" time generating more heat than light, just touch the fixture after the bulb has been on awhile.

A few weeks ago, I did a complete LED light conversion in our Classic through LED4RV of all the fixtures. In three of the ceiling fixtures we put in double LED strips with a special switch to energize two or four LED strips as required.

I think even a 1,000 watt generator could adequately top up the batteries, but lack the power to run the factory installed AC appliances.
__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #202
New Member
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Anacortes , Washington
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2
Gerry & Judy from Anacortes Wa. Unit 121 BC will be going from the balloon festival to the Sun Valley Jazz festival . Anyone else doing that? It would be fun to do a tag along.
__________________
antsy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:34 PM   #203
Rivet Master
 
Arcticfox's Avatar

 
2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by antsy3 View Post
Gerry & Judy from Anacortes Wa. Unit 121 BC will be going from the balloon festival to the Sun Valley Jazz festival . Anyone else doing that? It would be fun to do a tag along.
Good to hear others from a Canadian Unit will be heading south. We are out of Sask and will be heading down to the balloon festival but not on to the Sun Vally event. with luck our paths will cross...

Cheers
Doug
__________________
Trying to use my camera to create memories - not photographs!
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #204
1 Rivet Member
 
GoneGlamping's Avatar
 
2010 16' Sport
Port St. Lucie , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
Portable waste tank

I just got the email with details about Balloon Fiesta and we're getting excited!

Question: do we need a portable waste tank? I know that there will be dump trucks but I'm not sure how the waste gets from our tank to the dump truck?

Good thing we'll be meeting at Camping World ahead of time in case we need any last minute accoutrements.
__________________
GoneGlamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #205
Rivet Master
 
Arcticfox's Avatar

 
2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneGlamping View Post
I just got the email with details about Balloon Fiesta and we're getting excited!

Question: do we need a portable waste tank? I know that there will be dump trucks but I'm not sure how the waste gets from our tank to the dump truck?

Good thing we'll be meeting at Camping World ahead of time in case we need any last minute accoutrements.
Yes I'm in the same boat - my list of stuff I want to buy at Camping World just keeps getting longer and longer. We are camping at Enchanted Trails for a couple days before the balloon Feista and that's is right next door. Holy cow I will need to leave retirement and get a job by the time I'm done....lol

As for the dump truck. I'm sure they are talking about a vacuum truck. So the truck will have the ability to hook right on to your dump pipe and "vacuum" your black and grey tank.

Cheers
Doug
__________________
Trying to use my camera to create memories - not photographs!
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #206
Rivet Master
 
Ken J's Avatar
 
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: 1975 25' Tradewind
Posts: 3,363
Images: 14
Yes it is a pump out truck - so it hooks up to your drain valve and pumps your tank
__________________
1956 Flying Cloud
Founder :
Four Corners Unit
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #207
Rivet Master
 
Pahaska's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,820
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
Yes it is a pump out truck - so it hooks up to your drain valve and pumps your tank
Just hope they never forget to switch the truck it from blow to suck like happened once at the international rally at Springfield. The result was not pretty!
__________________
John W. Irwin
2014.5 Touring Coach, "Sabre-Dog IV"
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #208
2 Rivet Member
 
cptfish's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB International
salem , Oregon
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 82
Is there any advantage in having bicycles at the Balloon Rally as far as getting around at the Balloon Fiesta grounds?


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
__________________
cptfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #209
2 Rivet Member
 
PurdueMom's Avatar

 
2015 27' FB International
Findlay , OH
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptfish View Post
Is there any advantage in having bicycles at the Balloon Rally as far as getting around at the Balloon Fiesta grounds?


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

From my perspective, bicycles would not provide any advantage and would likely be a hindrance. Balloon Fiesta isn't really a place to utilize a bicycle. However, along the Bosque (drive to the Bosque in your truck with your bikes) is a nice dedicated walking/running/bicycle path. If my memory serves me correctly, the path is about 22 miles in length. It is smooth blacktop and some cement. Elevation change is a mere +/-20 feet, so it is basically level. This is the place to bicycle! Bosque access with ample parking is near Balloon Fiesta Park.


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
__________________
PurdueMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #210
Rivet Master
 
Ken J's Avatar
 
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: 1975 25' Tradewind
Posts: 3,363
Images: 14
Whoa - yes bikes are not allowed on the fiesta field - too many balloons to run over + with the 800,000 people that attend this event each year you would not get very far - however .... The bike path comes right to our front door and goes all over Albuquerque - even the Bosque - in fact we have our own Balloon Fiesta bike ride that leaves our site - plus you can ride all over the rally field and check out all the 400 nice folks with their 200 Airstreams ! Sooooo bring the bikes !!
__________________

__________________
1956 Flying Cloud
Founder :
Four Corners Unit
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Rally ! Ken J WBCCI Rallies & Events 170 02-03-2013 07:08 PM
4CU 004 : 2009 Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Ken J WBCCI Rallies & Events 291 02-21-2010 08:57 AM
4CU 004 : 2008 Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Rally Ken J WBCCI Rallies & Events 448 03-07-2009 09:23 AM
Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Rally... InsideOut WBCCI Rallies & Events 28 12-08-2006 06:39 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.