Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 01:43 AM   #121
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecarr View Post
Ooh, thanks for the info as this is our first time!
This is my first time too! Is there any info the first timers should know? Like where is the dump? How much does it cost? Do they take credit or cash only? How much is water and when are water trucks available? And any other small details that we should know would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.....See you all soon!
Old 09-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwheels View Post
... Like where is the dump? How much does it cost? Do they take credit or cash only? How much is water and when are water trucks available? ...
See post 119 above. Relying on the water and dump trucks is risky (they may not show up when you need them) and should be considered an emergency procedure.

If you've never dry camped before, now is the time to practice. Take a few showers and see if you can meet the boondocker's standard (1 gal for men, 1.5 gal for women). Plan on saving water in the kitchen by using paper plates or other alternatives (rinsing dishes is actually the biggest water using task).

Filling your black tank prematurely could result in an early departure. Pay close attention to quick flushes.

If you're in a Vintage Airstream with no gray tank, you must collect the drainage externally and then dispose of it discretely. "Discretely" is a euphemism for quietly hauling it to a storm drain or area of vegetation, but if we have 50 vintage Airstreams (out of 200) that need to do this, it won't be discrete for long.

Zep
Old 09-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Before I ask my question, my prayers go out to the folks in Colorado dealing with the floods and hope that those that were planing to attend the fiesta are safe and well and will still be there.

My question, are the fireworks seen from our campers or is it best to see from somewhere else?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
...My question, are the fireworks seen from our campers or is it best to see from somewhere else?
Thanks, we are only moist here. Wish I could say that it is that good for many others around the state.

You can see 75% of the fireworks [the high stuff] from the parking area. But the waterfall and pinwheels are obscured by the chalets that are on the south side of the arena.

Z
Old 09-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #125
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Black Forest , Colorado
Convoy to BF ???

Hi Zep...

I am currently living in Palmer Lake too. We were displaced by the Black Forest fire, so only living here temporarily.

There are rumors of you in the DenCo unit as the guru of Vista View window repair, is this you???

Anyway, we are wondering if you are interested in rallying from here to there for the Balloon Fiesta.

Let me know.

Grampz
Old 09-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
We are as close to the launch field as you can get - you can see everything from your front door - however for the best experience, you should plan to walk on the field - which is not far - you will see water and dump trucks drive through our site somewhat often - as Zep says if you are careful with water you won't need additional. Hopefully all who are registered are starting to get our weekly updates
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Old 09-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Fireworks

Quote:
My question, are the fireworks seen from our campers or is it best to see from somewhere else?
As Ken J states, we are as close to the launch field as you can get, on the bluff along the south perimeter.
Since fireworks are launched from the bluff on the north perimeter, many of us amble down to the launch field with our folding camp chairs and claim a spot on the northern end of the field itself.

That said, the view the fireworks from the Airstreams is still spectacular!
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Old 09-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #128
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers View Post
Looking forward to Rally! We are leaving Sept 18! Anyone like Canadian Beer? We can bring some!
Hi Annie and Marvin,

So glad to hear you will also be at the Fiesta! It will be nice to see you both again. We are really excited about it, our 1st one. We are bringing beers from other countries. We are leaving on the 19th stopping for another rally on the way.
This should be fun.
See you all soon!
Safe Travels!
Old 09-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #129
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I believe the closest part of the field to the fireworks is on the south side.

Airstream trailers are parked in rows in front of a fairly good sized open area. In front of that is a large drainage drainage channel for heavy rains. There is a bridge at each end of the Airstream area over the channels. Then there are large tents for sponsors and some major corporate vendors, and in front of that is the field. The field is enormous and it is a long walk to the north end or east to west.

You can see the fireworks from the open area in front of the trailers, but can see them better from the field. It is not a long walk to the south end of the field. Bring chairs or blankets.

The 4CU honchos are parked in the front row and mostly to the left (west) side. They get awakened before anyone by the generators for the lights illuminating the 2 bridges over the drainage channels—at something like 4 am. I guess Zep dumps his grey water in that drainage channel before the lights come on—watch for him and take a picture.

We get up at some awful hour and stumble down to the field with a camera and extra clothing. It gets pretty cold before dawn and since we aren't moving around much, it feels even colder. It can easily be in the 40's, but by midday, close to 80˚. Wear layers as it gets warm fast after the sun is up. We look for the best breakfast burritos and a hot drink. There are picnic tables on the east edge of the field—many are badly warped, but some are ok. You can see all the activity from there while you eat, and then walk around the field and see the crews inflate the balloons. Do not step on the balloons—you will be instantly vaporized. You can get some great photos in the dark of the crews inflating the balloons with propane firing into them. Before most of the balloons are inflated, about 10 are inflated before dawn towards the north end of the field and go up to check winds. Winds go completely different directions over the field at different altitudes allowing balloons to stay over the field by rising and falling at different levels. The Dawn Patrol makes for cool photos as they flare propane in the dark lighting up the balloons in the sky. After dawn, hundred of balloons go up for hours.

Lots more happens during the day and evening. Sat. and Sunday have the most, but plenty of balloons go up at other days. Fireworks are on the weekends. You can watch it from your trailer. The balloons often come over the trailers and if you sleep late, you will hear them overhead (flaring makes sounds—hissing, then burning) and sometimes very, very close. Some balloons don't get far and land in open areas very close, and a trailer was hit a couple of years ago. I can't remember if it was Zep's or the one next to him.

We had rain early today in western Colorado, but it has cleared for now. More is expected and all seems to move east to the Front Range. With two big storms, one a hurricane, hitting Mexico on both coasts, I expect we will be seeing more moisture being pumped into the southwest for the next week. The monsoons usually don't last this long and certainly are not this heavy. In 35 years in Colorado I've seen some really wet Augusts, but not like this so far into Sept. This could last into October, but that would be even stranger. Hopefully, the rains end for now and do not last to the Fiesta—balloons don't fly in bad weather. There's another thread about flooding ( http://www.airforums.com/forums/f160...od-109652.html ) and it seems no one on the Forum has been affected that we know of. But communications are tough, power is out in lots of places and people have other concerns besides the Forum.

With 200 trailers, as Ken suggested, name tags are a good idea. Maybe a post it note would work for those not having a bunch of "hello, I'm … " tags.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #130
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
...The 4CU honchos are parked in the front row and mostly to the left (west) side. They get awakened before anyone by the generators for the lights illuminating the 2 bridges over the drainage channels—at something like 4 am. I guess Zep dumps his grey water in that drainage channel before the lights come on—watch for him and take a picture.
Lots more happens during the day and evening. Sat. and Sunday have the most, but plenty of balloons go up at other days. Fireworks are on the weekends. You can watch it from your trailer. The balloons often come over the trailers and if you sleep late, you will hear them overhead (flaring makes sounds—hissing, then burning) and sometimes very, very close. Some balloons don't get far and land in open areas very close, and a trailer was hit a couple of years ago. I can't remember if it was Zep's or the one next to him.
Ha! Not so fast. I am bringing the '77 Sovereign this year, not the '73 Overlander, so I will have a gray tank.

The trailer that was hit was Uwe's. In four years I never heard of any other being damaged.

Zep
Old 09-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Bring your WBCCI name tags if you have - we will also have name tags you can have - the "hello I'm" kind
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #132
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Balloon Field

Last year (2012) I left the Airstream in the 4th row back with my hand held GPS and walked up the road in the middle of the launch field to the north end. The distance was 1.3 miles. A couple of years my wife and I walked the field three times. Of course, during the evening walk we always made a stop at he beer tent to take a break.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Ha! Not so fast. I am bringing the '77 Sovereign this year, not the '73 Overlander, so I will have a gray tank.

The trailer that was hit was Uwe's. In four years I never heard of any other being damaged.

Zep
your aviator show the 1977 as a 23' Safari, the Sovereign is listed as a 75.. man i am confused and envious of the trip to balloon fest.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
Old 09-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #134
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
your avatar shows the 1977 as a 23' Safari, the Sovereign is listed as a 75.. man i am confused and envious of the trip to balloon fest.
Not to puff up too much, but my other half says it's an addiction. You missed the '73 Safari (for Burning Man). Not to mention the '73 Overlander. Don't be confused, there are many members with more than one and several who have more than 4. Envy...

Zep
Old 09-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #135
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post

We are bringing beers from other countries.
As Homer Simpson would say, "Homer no function beer well without."

We will be bringing a few local beers from Georgia.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
Old 09-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #136
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Seen in the Lowe's grocery store in Monahans, TX
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4097640744.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	582.1 KB
ID:	196025  
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 09-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #137
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
You know Homer's favorite expression...

I'd rather have a cold beer than be father of the year.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

Old 09-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #138
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
beer exchange

I have heard from only 3 people.

I have 12 packs of "Spotted Cow" and new glarus brewing co variety 12 packs for trade. (only sold in WI)

I would love to trade with local beer from your area.

Are there any other interested micro brew lovers.

Please PM me.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #139
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Just in time for our big trip.
Just got "The Turd" (see before pic) back from the painter.
Any suggestions on a new name?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	196054   Click image for larger version

Name:	after1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	196055  

Name:	after2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	196056   Click image for larger version

Name:	after3.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	196057  

Name:	after4.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	196058  
Old 09-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #140
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Just in time for our big trip.
Just got "The Turd" (see before pic) back from the painter.
Any suggestions on a new name?
Gorgeous!

Closed Thread