Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Airstreams in Flight Weekend Delight Rally

I had the pleasure of joining the Southern Illinois Unit camping last weekend at Giant City State Park. They were a great group of folks.

They have a really interesting rally coming up in August at the Greater St. Louis Regional Airport in Bethalto, IL and were enthusiastic about me posting the information to Airforums to bring non-WBCCI folks into the fun. The unit normally has between 20 and 30 Airstreams at these events and I'd love to bring in another 10 through Airforums.

Believe it or not, the airport has 30 amp hookups along the fence line. They're going out of their way to take care of us.

Your destination is Alton where you will land your “Silver Bird” at the St. Louis Regional Airport in Bethalto, with Alton just minutes away. Arrival time depends on the Pilot and/or Co-Pilot. After landing and touchdown you will taxi over to the staging terminal, there you can chalk your “silver bird”. As soon as you disembark from your “silver bird” and enter the Airport Terminal you will be given a packet with maps and information regarding the Alton area.
  • Thursday, 8/13/2009 Early Arrivals - you're on R and R.
  • Friday, 8/14/2009
    • 8:30AM, Light breakfast (Bring your own table service)
    • 11:30AM, Lunch at Fast Eddie's (Dutch treat)
    • 1:00PM, Tour - Underground Railroad and other points of interest (2 hour guided tour, $5 per person)
    • 5:30PM Light dinner (Bring table service and drink) in the Airport Conference Room.
  • Saturday, 8/15/2009
    • 8:30AM, Breakfast (Bring your own table service)
    • 11:00AM, Tour - Locak & Dam, Confederate Prison, Confederate Cemetery
    • Lunch - Sack lunch provided at scenic overlook
    • Afternoon - Free to explore the surrounding area
    • 5:30PM Dinner provided (Bring your own table service and drink) in the Airport Conference Room.
  • Sunday, 8/16/2009
    • 7:30AM, Light breakfast
    • 9:00AM, Church services
    • 11:00AM, Brunch - Potluck

It looks like a great schedule, all optional of course, so check out the event on the Rally Calendar and come on out and join in the fun, food and festivities.

I'll post the link to the rally calendar as soon as I create the event.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
So the sites will be electric only? Will water be available if needed? What about a dumping station?

Steve
Old 07-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Good question. There will be water spigots and a dump station available. Only 30 amp electric will be available on site.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
what fun!

What is the cost of this rally?? It sounds very interesting!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like a great rally, and wonderful that the airport is being so accommodating. We would be especially interested in the Underground Railroad and Confederate prison/cemetery. Unfortunately, we will be in the UP at that time.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
The airport is accommodating because they are broke and going out of business aren't they?

There is an issue though. Many people would like to attend Fast Eddies, but have children. This is STRICTLY a 21 and up establishment.

Steve
Old 07-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff View Post
What is the cost of this rally??
I'm currently waiting for a response from the WBCCI Rally Organizer on the cost of parking per night. It should be reasonable. I'll post as soon as I find out.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
The airport is accommodating because they are broke and going out of business aren't they?
You may be confusing the Regional Airport in Alton for Mid-America Airport in Mascoutah, IL. The Regional Airport is entirely business flights and private aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
There is an issue though. Many people would like to attend Fast Eddies, but have children. This is STRICTLY a 21 and up establishment.
All events are optional and there are plenty of family friendly restaurants in the area.

Are you going to stop shooting down the rally and sign up or what? You'd be an asset to the group.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
These airport rallies are a lot of fun. The first one we went to was the Region 5-7 VAC rally at the Poplar Grove, IL airport in 2007. See photo below. (Although I think the Cessna 140 is just a little light to be towing that trailer. . . a 210 might be more like it. . .)

I was all set to contact Wally Byam Control on the CB, "Poplar Grove, this is Caravelle Two Five, Parking Poplar Grove" and if WBC was any cool at all, they would come back "Caravelle Two Five, cleared onto final, you're number two for parking behind the Excella" or something like that. (As it turned out nobody was on the CB.)

If you like the Airstreams in Flight rally, come on up to Osceola, Wisconsin Sept 10 - 13 for the Wheels and Wings rally at the Osceola airport!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...3-a-53850.html

See you down the road,
Nuvi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wings-n-Wheels_07-02.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	84224  
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
These airport rallies are a lot of fun.
I would have never thought to have a rally at an airfield. That's why I'm so excited about this rally. It should be really interesting and I think the kids will like seeing the planes take off. I work on an Air Force Base and every time one takes off I watch. It never gets old.

Speaking of kids, Nick, Lisa and the kids are coming and a lot of times Lisa isn't up for a night on the town. There's a chance we'll have a babysitter for the Fast Eddie's crowd.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
I work on an Air Force Base and every time one takes off I watch. It never gets old.
Once when I was working on a job at Castle AFB, California I had the chance to see a transient formation of F-15s make a burner takeoff at dusk. Looked just like the recruiting posters.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
FAYETTEVILLE , North Carolina
I think this sounds really neat....having an electric hook up is just icing on the cake. After boondocking last weekend I realized that is all that's really needed if its hot. This sounds like a really neat experience.

I'm sure Lisa will appreciate you volunteering her for babysitting duty....haha....

Can't wait to see ya'll there.

Nick
wiegand01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Sounds great . . .

This sounds like a fun rally in a neat location! We're looking at our calendar to see if we can make it.

Nancy Mac
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Parking fee per night

Steve,

Have you heard from the WBCCI Rally Organizer on the cost of parking per night? $15 for food plus the parking fees sounds like a very reasonable deal.

Nancy Mac
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
FAYETTEVILLE , North Carolina
I read an article the other day about quite a few airline employees living in one of the parking lots outside of LAX. They have to pay $60 a month and I think they have electricity. The article reminded me of this rally. I looked though the images on Bing and of the four different images there was only one Airstream. The pictures from this Rally will look quite a bit better.

Nick
wiegand01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Money

I have some new information about the costs.

The airport has not decided on a price for the camping yet because it's based on how many people we have, but guaranteed to be $20 or less.

The rally fee of $15 is per adult, not per trailer, and pays for the food and many activities that are included in the rally. No cost for kids.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
We will be there friday night by dinner time. Probably just 2, but maybe have Kris with us. Is a 16 year old an adult or a child? If she comes she won't want to go on the tour.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
I'm glad you're going to make it.

I'd say a 16 year old is a freebee, but that's not my call. $45 to $60 for a family of 4 on top of camping fees is outrageous in my opinion.

I'm out at Carlyle Lake watching thunderstorms move south of here. Come on out for a mini-rally this weekend.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Carlyle would be nice. Where are you? We are stuck here with other commitments plus getting ready to leave on Sunday. Got the new fridge hooked up tonight. Its getting nice and cold already.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
I'm at Hazlet State Park site 99. Nick & Lisa are coming tomorrow with their 1964 Safari and the two trailers that joined us for Memorial Day Weekend at Whittington Woods will also be here.