Name:	June 25th 2011 flyerTT (3).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	639.4 KB
ID:	132534Click image for larger version

Name:	Star Grover at Airplanes & Airstreams Rally.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	132535
The Airplanes and Airstreams Rally in Pittsville, Md. is becoming an annual tradition for the WDCU. Rob and Gayle are co-hosting the rally with Art this year. This is unique venue, and is a rare opportunity to see some modern and vintage aircraft and Airstream trailers at the same place. Last year was unusually hot throughout the region and there have been some further upgrades to the electric for those who may find it necessary to need to use their air conditioners.

Electric is limited to 12 trailers on a first registered –first served basis. Bring long extension cords. Rob will email to let you know if you will have access to electric. Generators are allowed but please bring loooooong cords so that the noise is way out in the field.
Water is available through daisy chain -bring all your hoses and connectors.
Gray to ground is permitted but there is no dump. A Port-a-john is available.
If you have an easy-up canopy or similar shelter bring it.
Sunscreen and bug spray are necessities.
Go to the WDCU website for the registration form and location information

Schedule & Other info:

Thursday will be the arrival day arrival.
Friday you will be free to explore the area. Explore nearby towns for lots of antiques and good, small eateries. There will be a Potluck dinner at 6pm.
Saturday: Weather permitting, planes start arriving anytime from 10am on. The pilots have a potluck lunch, if you contribute a dish you can join in. Planes fly by, take off and land throughout the afternoon. Take time to talk to the pilots and enjoy the planes. Last year a lucky few were offered free rides. Don’t forget your camera. Potluck dinner at 6pm.
Sunday: departure. See you down the road

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Airplanes and Airstreams Highlights

For those of you who were unable to join us this year at the Airplanes and Airstreams rally at the Delmarair airfield near Pittsville, Md., we had a small turnout this year but a fun time as always when members of the WDCU get together (and one great looking GMC). This was my first year for attending this rally and it is definately going on my calendar for next year. The weather was much more accomodating this year and than the last two years from what I understand. It was hot, but not unbearable. We had a nice breeze in the afternoon by happy hour time and for dinner, plus with the new electrical setup (thanks to Rob, Peter, and Art for the new modifications) everyone was able to have air conditioning if they wanted to use it. With this new arrangement we could easily handle sixteen rigs with ac and more rigs with low amperage requirements.

The rally field had the feel of the old CBR, a place for kids to roam and have fun, make a secret fort in the cornfield, and have just plain fun without the need for electronic toys. We had around sixteen to eighteen planes show up for the fly-in on Saturday (I lost count during the day). The experience of getting up close with the pilots and the planes and getting a free ride makes this rally worthwhile for a family to attend.

So here's a thought to keep in the back of your mind for next year......keep a spot open in your 2012 season for next year's Airplanes and Airstreams rally!

Here is a link to the video highlights from the rally.

YouTube - ‪WDCU Airplanes and Airstreams Rally 2011‬‏

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
Old 06-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Oh wow! That's my kind of rally. Rivets..they're all good, man.

Loved the music. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Yeah I had a short love affair with single engine planes in the late seventies and in brought back a lot of memories.

It's really neat to get up close appreciate the aircraft. There was a mutual enthusiasm shared. Pilots enjoying the airstreams and airstreamers enjoying the planes.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
Old 06-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Ooohh Ooohh Too Far Away....

As leader of first "Airforums Rally" to Oshkosh (1 trailer in 2004) and author of Airstream Life article on Airstreams and Airplanes at OSH, I wish I could attend.. Our A/S is 23 years old, and our airplane is 52 years old.. For those west of the Rockies unable to drive to Maryland, there were TWO Airstreams at Calif "Golden West Fly-In" in Marysville CA weekend of June 10-12! Parking is 25' from parallel taxiway on flight line, lots of vintage, experimental, Warbirds etc flew in for weekend exhibition and show, including EAA seminars on building, restoring, etc.. Show started years ago with goal of becoming "Sun 'n Fun West", but has shrunk over last 5 years due primarily to sponsorship pullout by EAA and weak PR efforts. I'll be leading Rally of at least 1 in June of 2012 (weekend of June 8-10), and volunteering to do enhanced promotion and PR for the organizers. Some camping spots have 30A, some have 20A, some have 5A and many have none.. Breakfasts and Dinners each day on the field, awards for aircraft, dance Saturday, etc.. Airport is 25 minutes north of Sacramento.

The Air Show at Arlington WA in July draws much larger crowd (aircraft and RV's) ahead of OSH, and the Oshkosh show draws 10,000 aircraft and probably an equal number of camping units in 1 mile square camping area...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. We only had nine rigs this year. The heat the last two years probably scared a few people off and the fact that there are some other great rallies and events (both WBCCI and non-WBCCI) going on at the end of June and the first of July in the mid-atlantic region for airstreamers.

We are pretty lucky in the WDCU to have Art Kudner as a member. He and his business partner own the airfield and hope to develop it over the coming years.
The other great thing is his excitement and commitment to future rallies at the airfield. I have to admit we did not do him justice in promoting this years rally but you can be assured we will be promoting it early next season and we will be shooting for maximum capacity.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
Old 06-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Seven Valleys , Pennsylvania
Hi Tom, We WILL make it next year! Working on the new '66 Safari for the longer trips. I'm not sure to old Liner has it in her! Larry G
Old 07-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Yeah Larry, with your regard for vintage items I think you would really enjoy the older aircraft.

By the way, here's the link to a video album of your Liner at this year's CKR.

YouTube - ‪Airstream 49 Liner‬‏

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
Old 07-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1992 25' Airstream 250
anywhere , New Jersey
Thanks Tom for all the videos! WDCU is lucky to have you!

Sorry that we couldn't attend this year's rally, but it will be on our calendar for 2012.

Sonia