Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #181
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Oh Vivian - I'm so sorry to hear that - - - - - I hope it gets repaired quickly

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #182
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Oh no!!!

Vivian and Richard that's awful !! I am so sorry, the other person was probably on the phone or texting How do you miss seeing a 34 footer? I hope it gets fixed quickly and will cross my fingers that they don't total it.

It was wonderful meeting you and thanks again for my new Tupperware! I love it!

Please let us know what happens....
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #183
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
Oh Vivian! I am so sorry. At least no one was hurt. But truly... how do other drivers not see our rigs. Several years ago, I was towing my 21' Landyacht with a bight red Suburban & a woman ran a stop sign. I was able to make a defensive manuever enough to run off the road but avoid a major collision but, resulted in a minor collision. She kept telling the cops & her dad how she couldn't imagine how she could not have seen me. Really!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:34 AM   #184
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Hi Dan, I saw the photos of your bathroom install. Very nice. Is the shower pan/ wall surround a one unit piece that you purchased or did you form that yourself? I'm trying to get a floor plan together for my 54 FC. Thanks in advance. JT
54breadloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #185
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
Re: Bathroom
It's a stock bathroom for a 1965 Caravel. They are two separate pieces and can be removed through the door.
I did just that so that I could reinforce the fiberglass, repair a few cracks, and prep them for painting. A local auto body paint shop sprayed them for me with durable auto paint. The original color was a dingy beige. I chose to paint the bottom Mocha and the top Bavarian Cream. If a mid sixties Airstream is the same width as yours, perhaps you could find a parts trailer with the same wet bath. Good luck.

Sheridan
WBCCI#11112

Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #186
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
1959 24' Tradewind
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Northeast , Iowa
Add our thanks and appreciation for a great, informative and fun rally. It was our first resto rally and we learned a lot. It was great to match up some forum names with faces and trailers that we've read about.
Great inspiration, now to put it to work on our 59 TW

We haven't made it home yet, still working our way through Minn with a stopover in Duluth. So sorry to hear about Landshark's accident, hope it gets repaired quickly and well. Glad everyone was OK.
Driving past Fort Collins, the smoke was thick from the fires. Hope the mountains get some good rains soon.
Safe travels,
Ed and Eileen
epperp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #187
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by adobehome View Post
Oh Vivian! I am so sorry. At least no one was hurt. But truly... how do other drivers not see our rigs. Several years ago, I was towing my 21' Landyacht with a bight red Suburban & a woman ran a stop sign. I was able to make a defensive manuever enough to run off the road but avoid a major collision but, resulted in a minor collision. She kept telling the cops & her dad how she couldn't imagine how she could not have seen me. Really!
I think the answer in your case and mine is texting. Your driver and mine didn't see stop signs and large vehicles in front of them because they weren't looking through the windshield: they were looking down at a phone. I wonder how long our culture is going to put up with the distraction of phones while driving, whether texting or simply talking. A few years ago I was waiting at a stop sign at an expressway exit and a woman turned right toward me from the cross street and very nearly hit me head-on as I sat there. She was on the phone and thought she was turning into the X-way entrance instead of the exit. It had nothing to do with "hands-free" and everything to do with mental distraction.

But of course we put up with drunk driving that causes so much death and destruction, simply giving a meek slap on the wrist and the drunk is back out on the road again, so phones are no problem at all, right?

As long as we give "govmint" the power to solve all problems and take all responsibility for every aspect of our lives, then personal responsibility just goes away and nothing will be done about phones and texting, much less any of the other problems that bedevil our society. Ugh. I'll get off my soapbox now...

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #188
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan
Re: Bathroom
It's a stock bathroom for a 1965 Caravel. They are two separate pieces and can be removed through the door.
I did just that so that I could reinforce the fiberglass, repair a few cracks, and prep them for painting. A local auto body paint shop sprayed them for me with durable auto paint. The original color was a dingy beige. I chose to paint the bottom Mocha and the top Bavarian Cream. If a mid sixties Airstream is the same width as yours, perhaps you could find a parts trailer with the same wet bath. Good luck.

Sheridan
54breadloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #189
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , CA
Send a message via ICQ to SilverPal2
Vivian
I am very sorry to hear about the incident on your return. If the insurance co plans to total the rig be sure and lets discuss the values etc for settlement. Also lets get in touch via email if their is anything I can do to help.
Jim
japolk@jps.net
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-LLC.com
SilverPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #190
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Bozeman , MT
We are so sorry to hear of your misfortune! I don't know how anyone could miss seeing a 34' AS. At least you two are both ok and that is the most important thing. We will give you a shout this summer, as we will be going thru Idaho Falls on 7/10. Great meeting you. Terry & Gretchen
Streamer1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #191
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Richard & Vivian...sorry to hear about your Ltd! And I was looking forward to seeing you both again at the International! Relieved to hear you are both OK. Please let us know how things turn out.
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #192
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcbuilder View Post
We are so sorry to hear of your misfortune! I don't know how anyone could miss seeing a 34' AS. At least you two are both ok and that is the most important thing. We will give you a shout this summer, as we will be going thru Idaho Falls on 7/10. Great meeting you. Terry & Gretchen
Hey, it would be great to see you both again! Check with us closer to 7/10: since we can't go to Intntl, we may have to fly down to Texas to find an RV park suitable for a 4mo stay beginning 2nd wk of August. Therefore I don't know whether we might be gone, have to check with Richard who is now out of town. We were going to leave Sedalia, head to Texas, find the RV park and drop the Ltd there until August, but plans have changed so dates are up in the air somewhat! Hope we can meet up again before the next resto rally!

Vivian
Old 07-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #193
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Your darn Restoration Rally got me in trouble again

See Ken? I get all enthused and loose common sense....polishing in the HOT Summer again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compounding in 100deg heat.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	162442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day two of makeover.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	162443  

Old 07-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #194
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
FYI, State Farm came through (using some angry words) and will pay for the repairs (now ongoing at Airstream of Spokane), our lost registration $ for the Intnl, and a little gas money for two trips to Spokane! Wow, with ins cos today, that's a real win! Restores my faith in .... What? Ins cos?? Hahahahah!

Vivian
Old 07-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #195
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Vivian, glad to hear its going along OK. Hope the repairs dont take forever-at least you can still use one of your other streams in the mean time (so jealous! )
Robin, got the box with the screen today, the bronze will be gorgeous when I get it installed. I do have one BIG question, how do you keep your caswell bars from melting in that heat? I tried a test section the other day when my order arrived and the bars wanted to turn to goo at 94 degrees. I'm thinking the polishing may be a fall project when its a little cooler.
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #196
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Thanks, Rumrunner Tim, for your concern. And yes, we took the '77 Safari to Jackson WY last weekend for the Teton Music Festival. Such fantastic music: Wagner's Die Valkyrie, first 3 acts with voice, it was so moving I almost forgot about our poor '86 undergoing surgery in Spokane! Yeah, ALMOST.

Vivian