Old 11-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
East Tawas , Michigan
49th Mardi Gras Rally

Any feedback from members that have attended a National Mardi Gras Rally in New Orleans ? Anyone plan on attending in Feb. 2013 ?

Old 11-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I live in New Orleans and have experienced over 30 Mardis Gras since I moved here, which has kind of made me blasé about the whole event. Plus, it seems a waste for me to take so many days off from work just to stay home and camp, even for Mardi Gras. When I bought my Airstream, I vowed that my days of "staycations" were over.

However, I definitely plan to find the time after work to stop in at the rally some evening to meet and greet fellow Airstreamers. And I definitely recommend the WBCCI rally to any WBCCI members who want to come to Mardi Gras.

I did the same thing (visiting the rally) last year, just a couple of months after I bought my Airstream and right after joining WBCCI. I had a wonderful time. The people who actually attended the whole rally and took part in more of the activities had an even better time.

The venue last year was the University of New Orleans Lakefront Arena, at an improvised campsite with water and electric hookups cobbled together just for the rally. There was some rain, but nothing that would tear up an awning, and the weather was chilly but still warm enough that no one had to worry about not being winterized. Besides, you can't worry about rain in New Orleans; when I first moved here, I was told, "People in New Orleans don't tan, they rust!"

Since I didn't take part in many rally activities, I can't really speak about them. So, for the benefit of those who haven't been to Mardi Gras before, here's a bit of general info about Mardi Gras…

The state parks near New Orleans fill very quickly in the days leading up to Mardi Gras, with reservations made months in advance, and so do the New Orleans KOA and other private/commercial campgrounds. If you plan to come to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, the Mardi Gras Rally is a great way to make sure you have a place to stay; the area set aside for the rally is large, and I'm sure there's always room for one more, unlike other campgrounds.

In the two weeks leading up to Mardi Gras, the St. Charles Avenue parade route alone has over twenty parades, sometimes as many as three in one day on the weekends. And there are several parade routes around town and in outlying areas. The total parade count is close to 60 in two weeks. And parades in New Orleans are not spectator sports; the riders on the floats toss a variety of souvenirs to the crowd, and the competition for the best "throws" is fierce. Some perfer the beads; some prefer the doubloons; but my favorite was always the cups, since you can always wash and reuse them, and they make great conversation starters when you use them anywhere else.

By the way, the Good Sam Mardi Gras Rally was literally right next door to the WBCCI Rally, in the same UNO parking lot. They paid a larger rally fee, to get essentially the same experience.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
East Tawas , Michigan
Protagonist, thank you for the reply. My wife and I are planning to attend . You are welcome at our campsite.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I've heard the Mardi Gras rally is fun and I know some people who have signed up for 2013. There are lots of interesting parades and for the first-timer it is sure to be an unusual experience.

For those who may want something a little different consider the Mardi Gras events in Church Point, Opelousas, and other small towns north of Baton Rouge. In that area of Louisiana it's referred to as Courir de Mardi Gras (translates to Mardi Gras Run and sometimes referred to as country Mardi Gras). Check out the web site for Church Point

There is a group of WBCCI members who attend the Courir de Mardi Gras events. We met some of them last year but I failed to write down their names. They were tired of the New Orleans and similar events so they went to the country.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
We will be in New Orleans for Marti Gras with Fantasy RV Tours. Fantasy is now the official RV trip provider for Good Sams and guides trips all over the place. We look forward to New Orleans and trying out Fantasy RV Tours. See you there!
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
2002 25' Classic
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
Mardi Gras Rally

This is one great rally and is but on by Greater New Orleans Unit of the WBCCI. The cost is about 1/4 that of other rallys in the same area. It is for Airstreams only and is not for profit. It usually has more activities than the others. Would highly recommend
Old 11-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
We attended the first Mardi Gras rally post Katrina. The New Orleans unit of WBCCI went all out to see that we had a great time. The activities planned included many parades, both daytime and night time. We were bussed to and from the parade routes, so as to not worry about traffic. We had bleacher seating along the routes which included portable potty facilities....most useful. No trip to NOLA is complete without food and music. We had that also and enough other activities to fill as much or as little time as you wished. Vince and Lonnie were great leaders. I am sorry Vince did not live long enough to see how how popular this rally has become, but I understand Lonnie has carried it forward. I'd recommend this as a great way to experience Mardi Gras.
Paula
Old 11-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
we attended several years ago - fabulous! you get to so many places you might miss on your own. all the parades were super. be sure to bring extra storage for all your beads -ha! enjoy yourself; I am sure you will.
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
1996 34' Cutter Bus w/slide
Slidell , Louisiana
The 49th National Mardi GRAS Rally is Feb 6-13. It's a great time. We are camped at the University of New Orleans with full hook-up. 7 fun filled days. Reserved seats for 10 Mardi GRAS parades,, It's almost full for 2013 (50 trailers is the max). Currently have 43 registered. Please contact Lonnie Carver for additional info. mCarver@Entergy .com or call@ 504-947-9362. See the November issue of the blue beret for additional info.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
East Tawas , Michigan
Final countdown. Looking forward to meeting some of you at the rally. Over 1200 miles one way for us.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
1996 34' Cutter Bus w/slide
Slidell , Louisiana
Thanks to the 49 rigs attending the49th National Mardi Gras Rally! Wow, what a great group of folks! The Greater New Oreans Unit thanks all ho attended! Please tell you friends what a great tie we all had, next years Rally dates are?... feb 26 - March 5, 2014. Contact Lonnie for more info. Mcarver@entergy.com
Old 02-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #12

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
I looked high and low to find info on this rally. Next year I'll have to look higher and lower!
Jane
Old 02-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Maybe look in the middle
Old 02-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie Q View Post
I looked high and low to find info on this rally. Next year I'll have to look higher and lower!
Jane
It's a WBCCI rally, so the information can be found on the WBCCI web page or in the club's "Blue Beret" magazine. Start looking for the information sometime around Thanksgiving, or maybe even sooner, to make sure you have time to reserve a space and get your payment in.

In 2014, Mardi Gras is March 4th, so the rally should begin Wednesday, February 26th.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote