Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
2013 Florida State Rally

The 2012 Florida State Rally is over and we had 316+ Airstreams in attendance. It is a great rally but for next year it will be even bigger and better. Did you know that the majority of Airstream buyers are between the ages of 40 and 59 years old? We want them to come to the rally and experience the fun as well. To that end we are making some big changes in the rally.
Attached Images

www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Florida State Rally Update

The Florida State Rally
Feb 13-18, 2013
Theme: A Salute to Our Armed Forces
Colors: Red White and Blue

Most of the people on this forum own or want to own an Airstream product, new or used. One of the reasons for ownership is the lasting quality of the product. Another is unlike what any other brand can offer… ownership of an American icon. No other brand is as readily identifiable or elicits more comments than an Airstream on the road. Once an Airstream is purchased, the owner becomes aware of the ‘community mentality’ that develops as he/she travels around the country. It is truly unique.

Many owners join the WBCCI to enjoy the benefits of the camaraderie of like-minded RVers who appreciate the uniqueness and quality of the product, attend Unit rallies, go on affordable caravans, and just have fun in a group. Many, for various reasons, do not join to the WBCCI, which brings me to the changes I am instituting at the Florida State Rally as its Director.

The Florida State Rally(FSR) has primarily been attended by WBCCI members only. This leaves out the Airstream owners who are non-members. That is changing this year. There are a couple of reasons I am making the change. I won’t rate them as #1 and #2 because they are equal in importance.

The WBCCI membership is aging and declining through attrition. This year we had 316 Airstreams at the FSR, down from 360 last year and over 400 the year before. At the 2012 rally’s first evening’s entertainment, Crystal Gage, the talent, asked how many of the people in the audience have been married for 50 years. Roughly 80% of the audience stood. That has to tell you something about the WBCCI population’s average age and why the International Rally and the FSR have an annual drop in attendance and the prospects for attendance in the out-years. Jim Humphreys, Airstream VP for Sales, related some interesting demographics about who is buying new Airstreams. The majority are in the 40-59 age group. We did a ‘Rate the Rally’ questionnaire this year and of the 116 responses, 7 were in the 40-59 age group. We are not attracting this group to the rally. Of those who responded, 93% indicated they would return next year. The others didn’t know if they would be in the area. What this says is that we are down to the core of die-hard attendees, bless their hearts.

If we don’t get younger Airstream owners to come to the FSR and see what the WBCCI has to offer, we will have to fold up our tents and go home. It is that simple.

So, as Director, I am making the following changes and improvements in the FSR to attract a broader Airstream owner base.

1. The start day for the rally is moved from Wednesday to Thursday and will end on Monday, Presidents Day instead of Sunday. Thus the main attractions of the rally will take place on the weekend. This will give those who are still working or have children/grandchildren in school an opportunity to attend and get the full rally experience.

2. Airstream Inc. will have a stronger presence. They will be there as a vendor and also present the factory seminars for Airstream owners at the rally. Our intent is to make the FSR the southeast extension of the Airstream Factory training.

3. The Airstream related seminars will be presented on Saturday and Sunday so that weekend only attendees will get the full benefit of those seminars.

4. The BatesRV 1st Annual Sarasota RV Super Show will take place on the Sarasota Fairgrounds next to the Robarts Arena in conjunction with the FSR. The gate will be opened to allow the RV Show patrons to visit the FSR Trade Show and other daytime activities.

5. The vendors show will be upgraded to a Trade Show with the addition of vendors from the RV Show. The Trade Show will run from Thursday through Sunday at 1pm so that weekend attendees will have an opportunity to visit it.

6. Children under the age of 15 will be admitted free.

7. We will continue to have activities like Bingo, Arts and Crafts shows, Joker Tournament, Bridge and Holey Board games, etc. that have been a staple of the rally.

8. We have a new web site at Airstream, Florida State Rally Home which contains the program schedule, Rally Mission Statement, on-line registration with PayPal as an option, seminar descriptions, seminar suggestions, and more. We will keep this site up-to-date as the programs develops.

9. We are now on Facebook where we can interface with the public.

10. We will advertise in the RV trade publications.

11. We will have an active presence on Airforums.com, which is really the best place to interact with Airstream owners of all ages.

12. We will offer an opportunity join the WBCCI to Airstream owners who are not members or who have been members and would like to rejoin the club.

13. Morning coffee and donuts is being replaced by a healthier continental breakfast as part of the rally fee.

That’s for starters. As the rally schedule gets fleshed out and suggestions come in, I am sure there will be more additions. We want this to be a rally for ALL Airstreamers. Of course we would like folks to join the club and hopefully many will. The WBCCI and the FSR desperately need an infusion of ‘young blood’ if we are to survive. Demographics show the largest buyers of the Airstream products are in the age group of 40-59. Our purpose is to have something for all age groups to enjoy. After all, that’s what Airstreaming it is all about.

I am including our mission statement for your edification.

FLORIDA STATE RALLY
MISSION STATEMENT

Slogan
Rally With a Purpose
Description
Established in 1973, the Florida State Rally is a 501(C)(7) not-for-profit organization associated with the Wally Byam Caravan Club International, Inc. (WBCCI). The Florida State Rally is guided by its Board of Governors, comprised of one governor from each of the WBCCI Units within Florida. The Board, Rally Director, Coordinators, Chairmen, workers and staff are all unpaid volunteers.

Mission Statement
The Florida State Rally’s mission is to provide an opportunity for owners of AIRSTREAM manufactured trailers, touring coaches, and motor homes to gather together in an atmosphere of Fellowship to have Fun and add Adventure to the AIRSTREAM ownership experience.
The Florida State Rally is committed to:
• Providing the AIRSTREAM owners community with quality time together.
• Providing a warm and friendly rally atmosphere in one of Florida’s premier vacation areas at the height of the winter vacation season.
• Providing support to local community charities through donations.
• Providing a learning experience for the rally attendees through the use of vendor seminars and AIRSTREAM corporate training sessions.
• Providing quality entertainment.
• Providing a Trade Show for vendors.
• Providing an opportunity for AIRSTREAM owners sell their RV and/or to purchase new and used AIRSTREAM products and to effect limited ‘field repairs’.
WBCCI #6782
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Old 04-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Vic
After attending this years rally we will be back in 2013. The changes that you are making will only improve the great time we had this year.

Gary and Edna
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Vic,

I think you are on the right track. The age demographics of who is buying an airstream is certainly on your side. I plan to attend next year and will accept whatever changes your group comes up with.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Florida State Rally Update

To Castaway and Wingfoot,
Thank you both for your support and I look forward to seeing you at the rally next year.

We are open to suggestions from other Airstreamers. Larry Scovotto our Assistant Director, has just updated the web site with links to "the Long Long Honeymoon", "Aluminum Bliss", "Vintage Airstream Podcast" and "AirForums" (also on Related Publications page) as a result of one Airstreamer's suggestions.

We will keep the community informed as time passes and plans firm up. Everyone's suggestion will be carefully looked at and appreciated.

Again, thanks for your support.
WBCCI #6782
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Old 04-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1950 22' Liner
2004 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
St Petersburg , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to CapnTom
Vic,

This new plan and direction for the FSR is Awesome! I'm looking forward to attending next year with renewed excitement.

CapnTom

WBCCI/VAC #2453
AIR #35123
TCT

USAVTN
1950 Liner 22'
2004 Land Yacht 30 SL
2004 Chevy Avalanche

CapnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
2013 Florida State Rally

It's a long time until the rally starts on February 13, 2013 and we already have three folks sign up using our on-line registration.

Things are shaping up.

The theme this year is "A Salute to Our Armed Forces". At the Opening General Session we will have the colors posted by the Sarasota Military Academy's Color Guard.

The Closing General Session will include a presentation by The Last Patrol, Flag Folding demo with dialogue, and retrieval of the colors by the color guard.

There is a lot to fill in between those two events. I will keep you posted as the schedule gets firmed up.

Again, this event is open to ALL Airstream owners. Visit us on our web site at Airstream, Florida State Rally Home.

I am open to suggestions from the Airforums participants regarding what you would like to see at this or any rally. My goal is to make this an event that has activities that you are interested in. I can't guarantee that we can do everything you want but we can try.

You can make suggestions here or on our web site.

Hope to see you there.

Vic Smith
Director: Florida State Rally
1186 Port Malabar Blvd NE
Palm Bay FL. 32905-5143
(Cell) 321-243-7814
WBCCI# 6782
Airstream, Florida State Rally Home
Florida State Rally | Facebook
WBCCI #6782
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Old 09-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
The Florida State Rally is open to ALL AIRSTREAM OWNERS!!

You don’t have to belong to the WBCCI. Even if you were a WBCCI member and left, you are welcome to the Florida State Rally.

The 40th Florida State Rally is coming together.

Entertainment:

Thursday night is the Sarasota Military Academy’s band and chorus along with The Last Patrol presentation.

Friday Night is Leon Jacobs, Jr. Leon Jacobs Jr - Home

Saturday Night is Carol and Johnnie
The Songs Are The Golden Oldies, Pop Standards, Old Time Rock And Roll And Classic Country. In Addition, There Is A Lot Of Comedy, Impersonations, Fun With Audience And Ventriloquism.

Sunday Night is our headliner Antsy McClain
of the Trailer Park Troubadours
LIVING THE DREAM
You will not want to miss this show!!

There will be a Post Rally Rally sponsored by the Free Wheelers Intra Club of the WBCCI.

The all new Sarasota RV Show will run Thursday thru Sunday.
Entry is free for all FSR participants.

We are looking forward to a great time in beautiful Sarasota Florida at the height of the vacation season.

In support of our rally theme we will have nightly 50/50 drawings with the proceeds going to the Wounded Warrior Project.

Military veterans are asked to wear any portion of their old uniform to the Opening General Session.

There is more! Games, Seminars, Morning Continental Breakfast, Saturday Evening Meal, and of course seeing Old Friends and making New Friends.

Go to www.floridastaterally.com for more information.
WBCCI #6782
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Old 09-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
The Florida State Rally is open to ALL AIRSTREAM OWNERS!!

I knew I would make this mistake sooner or later. The FSR web site is:
Airstream, Florida State Rally Latest News not .com
WBCCI #6782
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Old 09-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Free Wheelers to have a Post FSR rally

The Free Wheelers Intra-club for single members of the WBCCI is planning a post rally from Feb. 18 to 21, 2013 at Travelers Rest Airstream Park near Dade City, FL. It is open to all WBCCI singles, whether members of Free Wheelers or not, but of course we hope you will become official members.

Travelers Rest is filling up fast; February is their busiest month. You can call them at 352-588-2013 and make your own reservation. Tell them you are with the Free Wheelers. If their full hookup sites are full, ask about dry camping near enough to other Free Wheelers to share water and take turns with dump.

Daily plans will be made to suit the interests of those attending. We will be close enough to Tampa, St. Petersburg and Tarpon Springs for day trips with carpooling.

Research still ongoing; bring your suggestions. Please call me or email if you plan to attend; we will look for you.
Barbara Carney, Pres. Free Wheelers,
PH: 407-506-3761
barbara@doveportraits.com.
WBCCI #6782
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
RV weigh-in at Florida State Rally

We recently received a flyer saying that RV weighing would be available at the 2013 Florida State Rally for a charge of $40, or $35 if you weighed upon entering the rally.

Two things immediately come to mind,

1. Wonder how long a line there will be at the weigh station if very many people weigh on arrival, and
  2. $40 (or $35) seems fairly spendy to get your rig weighed.

Can anybody tell me what a set of axle weights costs at a truck stop?
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Two things immediately come to mind,

1. Wonder how long a line there will be at the weigh station if very many people weigh on arrival, and
  2. $40 (or $35) seems fairly spendy to get your rig weighed.

Can anybody tell me what a set of axle weights costs at a truck stop?
I would guess that for that money each wheel is being weighed. It's been a long time since I weighed at a truck stop but I don't recall it being very expensive.

At the local farmers coop it cost me $3.00 to weigh just the trailer. I got the hitched up weight and then took the weight off the ball, so really got 2 for one.

My guess is this may have more appeal to the the class A or long trailer crowd than it would to some of us.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 19' Safari
2005 19' Safari
new iberia , Louisiana
Florida Rally

This will be our first time at this rally and was wandering if a lot of people bring bikes? Since its at the fair gounds I'm not sure of the set up.Thanks,
stream lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by stream lady View Post
This will be our first time at this rally and was wandering if a lot of people bring bikes? Since its at the fair gounds I'm not sure of the set up.Thanks,
We are taking our bikes. The fairground is a big place and bikes are handy for getting around. They leave most of the gates open, so you can also get out onto the side streets.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
In case you haven't seen the schedule, there will be a Dutch Oven seminar at the rally. This will be a "cook along" where we all make the same dish. Plan to bring your Dutch Oven and fixings. I will post the ingredient list in a few days.

If you don't have a Dutch Oven, plan to come and watch. There will be food to share!
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Is there a way to register for this rally online? When I looked at the website the online registration was just to register for a vendor but not an attendee.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Sure you where on the right website? Airstream, Florida State Rally Latest News

Click on 'Registration' link and sign up online.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post
Sure you where on the right website? Airstream, Florida State Rally Latest News
How many Florida State Rally web sites are there?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
Anyone headed to the Florida State Rally interested in participating in the Dutch Oven seminar can PM me for the recipes.

Matt
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I have been trying to get on the website. Tried the links in this thread and also from Facebook- give an error code stating that the server is unavailable.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote