Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
OK, got it this evening, all registered online. This will be my first rally! I read through the posts and saw the question about bikes. My question is, what about generators? Since it is only 5amp power, is there a time we can use generators at least for a bit?
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
In the past, there have been a few hours each day designated for Generator use. I would also add that the power is ample for most needs, without a generator.
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
In the past, there have been a few hours each day designated for Generator use. I would also add that the power is ample for most needs, without a generator.
I just got my confirmation. It says that it will be 3 amp power! My battery charger requires 6 amps, so I will need a bit of a boost.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
The available power will be sufficient to charge your batteries and power small items, one at a time.

I would suggest running your refrigerator on propane, but don't think you will have any issues.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
The WBCCI membership is aging and declining through attrition…If we don’t get younger Airstream owners to come to the FSR and see what the WBCCI has to offer, we will have to fold up our tents and go home. It is that simple.
As one who is a 50 something responding to your post regarding the life of WBCCI, I would say that there are some considerations that could be made. Not to say that these are guarantees to growth and renewed interest but these are my observations.
I compare this to my line of work. As a public school educator I have witnessed a decline in community activities from parents mainly due to time, cost and limited choices of interest. That accompanied by a greater lack of trust among strangers has led to fewer or limited interactions between multi-aged people UNLESS a common interest/goal is found in a safe friendly environment.

The WBCCI ideaology is great; however, the cost of “being part” is expensive for people who are once-in-a-while campers based on time from work like vacations, etc. Why not do away with mailings and paper publications that raise cost, make everything electronically and lower the cost of dues significantly?
Demographically speaking, singles continue to increase in overall percentage in the U.S. Consider that fact in group planning-- NOT making it a match-making event or “my trailer or yours” but rather on group activities that foster learning, interaction and caravan travel. These are not only singles’ interests but are most likely events that all campers would have interest. For example, maybe some master fly-casting fisherman will be teaching fly-casting and cleaning fish, etc. at Camp Airstream Caravan Rally (just picked a topic). These activities along with camping topics like “Organizing an Airstream Kitchen,” “Kid Kampers’ sports activities,” “Peace River Kayak Expedition”, etc. In other words, offer activities that would be worthy of a vacation alternative rather than being alone or a single couple camping out- doing something that perhaps was never learned or visiting a place that offers interest.

Another issue is scheduling. Working people are usually not free during the week and have to do fun stuff on the weekends or wait for a vacation. That, along with traditional vacation times should be considered. On the whole, families are free when school is out. Most districts are still on Sept 1-May schedules. Naturally an organization such as WBCCI cannot cater only to people in June-August but that is an issue for families so family activities should be planned accordingly.
I believe that the ongoing caravans and rallies throughout the year are great examples of how retired owners can participate too and should continue to be offered.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I just got my confirmation. It says that it will be 3 amp power! My battery charger requires 6 amps, so I will need a bit of a boost.
The term "3-Amp power" is just customary terminology used to indicate that several trailers may be sharing a single 120 V, 20 Amp circuit.

Usually a lot more than 3 Amps is available for each trailer. The fairgrounds at Sarasota has lots of circuits available including many 30 A. We were in the vintage section last year and had a 20 Amp circuit all to ourselves.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2017 30' Classic
Summerville , South Carolina
What is the recommendation for bikes? Can they be used?
Will they be useful to get around the camp ground?
Captain Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hank View Post
What is the recommendation for bikes? Can they be used?
Will they be useful to get around the camp ground?
The answer to your second two questions is yes and yes--although everything is in reasonable walking distance.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
The term "3-Amp power" is just customary terminology used to indicate that several trailers may be sharing a single 120 V, 20 Amp circuit.
Thanks Nuvite for clarifying. I am new at this and take it literally. I aM looking forward to coming.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
What is the rules on visiting a rally? I live fairly close but my AS is not ready to be camped in yet. I would like to take the family to check it out..
Old 02-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
You are welcome. There is a charge for meals or evening entertainment.

The schedule is posted at floridastaterally.org. I would recommend visiting during the Vintage Open House, Saturday from Noon to 4.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Question on the agenda for Saturday @ 5:45 is an annual banquet. Is that a pot luck deal or one of the additional paid meals you mention? Just asking for planning purposes.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
That meal is included in the rally fee.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
What is the rules on visiting a rally? I live fairly close but my AS is not ready to be camped in yet. I would like to take the family to check it out..
Just wanted to expand a little on Matt's reply. . .

Y'all come!

Just to clarify, the gates are open, and you are welcome to walk in. And yes, the Vintage open house is an excellent time to visit.

I had the same question ten years ago when our first trailer was very much in a state of restoration and we visited a WBCCI rally near us. We were greeted like long lost relatives, and met many new friends who are still friends to the present day.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
That meal is included in the rally fee.
Ahh, great. I am just planning out the fridge/galley stock up items- one less meal to plan.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post

Just wanted to expand a little on Matt's reply. . .

Y'all come!

Just to clarify, the gates are open, and you are welcome to walk in. And yes, the Vintage open house is an excellent time to visit.

I had the same question ten years ago when our first trailer was very much in a state of restoration and we visited a WBCCI rally near us. We were greeted like long lost relatives, and met many new friends who are still friends to the present day.
That sounds great! We will do our best to make it. Also looking at other vintage AS might help us get some ideas for ours. I look forward to going, meeting new friends is all ways great.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I can't seem to locate a "FAQ's" page. Generators may not be used?
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Generators may not be used?
I sounds like there will be power for all but AC and high powered items.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I sounds like there will be power for all but AC and high powered items.
And you probably won't want A/C--forecast high temps for the rally are in the upper 60s and low 70s.

As far as generators, depending on where you are parked you may have your own 30 A hookup. And--strictly unofficially--if you are parked out in left field where power is limited, your neighbors probably won't say anything if you run a generator a little.

Based on my own, admittedly limited, experience [last year's rally], the Florida State Rally is like the International Rally Lite--all the activities but only 10% of the bureaucracy. In other words--the kind of rally you will want to come back to!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:48 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Thanks for the feedback. I assumed that a/c would not be needed, but its all about my coffee which I brew throughout the day!!
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote