Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #361
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Thanks for the kind words.

Jan and I do what we can to help out, but the real thanks go to Ken and his group that put this together every year.

Ken has raised the bar this year with 100 trailers. We stated this in 2007 with a couple of dozen and we were parked behind the Balloon Museum. It just gets better every year. This was our group in 2007.
Please cut-and-paste that good lookin' red rig into this year's photo. I will be there in spirit.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Old 09-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #362
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Zep[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
You will be drawn outside like a moth to the flame.
There is so much going on from dawn to well after dark,
You'll find yourself outside all the time.
Though you can see the field from our parking area, you really can't see much from inside the trailer, front or rear.
Balloons float upward and out of sight of those trying to watch from inside.

Have a safe trip down from Crawford.
[QUOTE=Zeppelinium;1049475]Well, duh, why didn't I think of this? You are absolutely right!

Well, when I take my afternoon nap, I will have every window open, AND THE "VISTA VIEW" windows open, so I won't miss too much.

If your handy, like CrawfordGene, you still have time to install some vista view windows, then, like me, you can lay on your couch and still see the balloons.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Old 09-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #363
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelegood View Post
...If you're handy, like CrawfordGene, you still have time to install some vista view windows, then, like me, you can lay on your couch and still see the balloons.
You obviously don't know my history. You will understand when you see the window modifications on my Sovereign... Zep
Old 09-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #364
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'll see if I can get a carbide tipped chain for my chain saw and create convertible Airstreams. I do have Vista Views (aren't they the oval windows up at the curve between side wall and roof?), but I plan to do surgery just above the beltline. Instead of a cloth top, I'll put a big hinge at the front and a hydraulic lifts to open and close the top half.

The reason I wanted a window view from my dinette is so I can what is going on and decide what I want to go outside to see better (thereby risking my life because of previously stated reasons such as black widows and crazies). My biggest problem is being dragged out of bed at the hour of 5 am regardless of low flying planes and rowdies. I have bear spray for the latter.

Gene
Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #365
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Well, friends, I'm sorry to report that I cannot come this year. I had to have quick surgery to repair a detached retina - which went perfectly - but I will not have sight in that eye for some weeks. So I cannot make the trip from Virginia.../ See you on the road.

Pat
We wish you a speedy recovery, that does not sound at all pleasant. Sorry that it has interupted your plans for NM. Total bummer. Wendy
Old 09-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #366
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Bear Spray Won't Work on Us

We love the taste of chili peppers
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Old 09-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #367
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
This link is from an email from the Fiesta. It has some interesting information for people attending this years event...

Balloon Fiesta: September 2011 Newsletter

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 09-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #368
3 Rivet Member

We are in the home stretch for the Balloon Rally, We are in Sedona till sat. then up to Rt. 40 for Enchanted Trails arriving on monday. We are excited to come this far to see the Balloons. See you all there!! Catch my Blog below, AirstreamHobo
Ford Diesel Van "The Obie Van"
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2
https://airstreamhobo.blogspot.com/
Old 09-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #369
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Lubbock , Texas
This is our first Ballon Fiesta and we are so excited! For those of you who are old pros, please tell me your thoughts on bringing bicycles. How spread out are things? Are bikes allowed pretty much everywhere? I don't want to haul 4 bikes if they are not really useful at the park. We have two kids ages 11 and 12.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #370
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Bring the Bikes...

...you will be glad you did!

Though you won't be allowed to take them down on the launch field, you will find many great places to ride. In fact, I believe we will be parked adjacent to a bike trail that connects with an elaborate network of bike trails. Ken J. can verify (or refute) this. He is a bicyclist extraordinaire.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Old 09-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #371
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Yes, we saw people using bike trails, which follow a canal and go all the way downtown. I think some locals commute to work on their bikes. Not sure, but I think there was a vendor renting bikes near the entrance; although, this may have been bike parking for people coming to the Balloon Fiesta.

You can't beat the RV parking location and proximity to the balloon field, food and souvenir vendors and Balloon Museum. We didn't drive anywhere last year, although the field is much longer, end-to-end, than it looks from the corporate tent area.

Also, last year, there were storms almost every evening that cancelled the balloon glow events. You'll be glad you can walk back to your Airstream, when you see the lines of cars trying to get in and out of the park for hours!
Old 09-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #372
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I was just thinking about our bikes this morning. We'll probably bring them, but I think I'm going to take the big basket off the one in order to make it easier to transport.

Lynn
Old 09-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #373
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
3rd Annual Estancia Pumkin Chunkin Rally 10/14-16

Pardon this minor hijack but if while you are in the area you might be interested in this unusual rally shortly following the Balloon Fiesta. BIG FUN guaranteed. I tried to talk the Balloon Fiesta into moving to Estancia so we can use them for pumpkin target practice but they did not go for it. So 2 separate rallies. See the rally listing for details
Old 09-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #374
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Supposed to be 89˚ in Alb. today, 79˚ Friday and 50˚ Sat. morning.

Maybe you could bring the catapults from Estancia to try them out.

Gene
Old 09-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #375
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
We're getting closer.....down from Colorful Colorado and hanging in Chama, New Mexico this evening. Sky Mountain RV Resort is quite nice!
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
Old 09-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #376
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
After 3 days on the road we have made it to Amarillo, heading to Taos tomorrow for 2 days and then to enchanted trails. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Gary and Edna
Old 09-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #377
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
We are camped at the north rim of the Grand Canyon and are looking forward to the Balloon Festival. We left Spokane, WA 9 days ago and have been through the Yellowstone area, Salt Lake City, Bryce Canyon and will hit the Flagstaff and Sedona areas in a couple days. We have seen some amazing territory.

Looking forward to seeing all of you.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #378
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Does anyone have or know how I can get the female part to the door latch, eg, the fitting that is riveted in the door frame and receives the latch tongue? Mine fractured in Yosemite (yay, going 35 mph, no additional damage as the door opened) and now I have to jam the door shut with a piece of wood.

I'll send a photo tomorrow if there is a question about what it looks like.

Zep
Old 09-26-2011, 01:18 AM   #379
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Now I'll have to lie in bed all day looking up through the fan instead of slumped over the dinette table with a mirror to see through that fan. I thought it would be nice to look out the front window and see when it is time to go outside, but I like the stay-in-bed all day option.

Gene
Hi, you might not want to do this. This reminds me of when we were there in 2009, I think. I was eating my dinner and the wind started blowing. I heard a FLAP from the rear of my trailer. I immediately went to the back of my trailer and looked up. What I found was that the wind had blown my rear vent lid off. In my trailer, this vent is dead center over our queen bed. [ this would have made a clear view while lying in my bed] Lee Lee didn't understand my urgency to forget my dinner and do something with this vent lid. I was able to borrow a ladder from one of the group and duct tape the broken lid back in place. That night it rain stormed by the gallons, but we stayed dry. Now you know one of the reasons that I installed vent covers on my trailer. Gene, you don't want that view. The best view is from outside.

Make sure you have plenty of memory in your camera/s and never leave your trailer without your camera/s. This is a great group of people/Airstreamers and they gave us memories that we will never forget, not to mention all of the pictures we took. This will be the greatest experience that you will ever have in one place. We are unable to go this year so please post a lot of pictures.

Have a great time.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #380
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Airepotter - your question about bikes makes me wonder if you have received the numerous e-mail info that we have sent out - it mentions bikes and a bike tour we plan to do on Sat - - - - - -

Zep - I would bet that Uwe would have that latch - should be easy to find....

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Closed Thread

Tags
albuquerque, rally, wbcci, balloon festival