Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #337
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
We'll meet. I live to head west. Open spaces, blue skies, red rocks, dry air.

Old one-eye.

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Old 09-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #338
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Terry,
We bought a small (20 inch) carved bear who sits next to the door of the trailer. It's a long walk from the far end of the field to the camping area with a big block of wood in tow...

Thanks for the picture. I'm practicing hauling wood all over the 4+ acres we have. among other trees, we've had one HUGE oak tree that fell over labor day weekend . Haven't really begun to cut it up and haul..... who knows where! Just cleaning up the outer branches with the chainsaw and working inward. Looking forward to meeting you.

Terry.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Old 09-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #339
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
'bout the same here. Friends of ours had two large pines fall across the entrance to their property, so it's chain saw time (and a whole bunch of firewood). It is amazing how just one tiny nick with the saw can create a pretty good-sized hole in a leg.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelegood View Post
Thanks for the picture. I'm practicing hauling wood all over the 4+ acres we have. among other trees, we've had one HUGE oak tree that fell over labor day weekend . Haven't really begun to cut it up and haul..... who knows where! Just cleaning up the outer branches with the chainsaw and working inward. Looking forward to meeting you.

Terry.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #340
1 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
fredericksburg , Texas
Ken...hope you got my money ...and you have room for me this year..let me know..thanks for everything sorry Im a late airstreamer...
Old 09-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #341
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
We do have a couple of cancellations if anyone still wants to join us.......

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Old 09-21-2011, 08:58 AM   #342
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
A typical day at the FCU Balloon Fiesta Rally

You will be awaked in the morning why the wooshing sound of the first balloons up before sunrise and various aircraft circling the field – look out your window and see the bright colors of a few balloons in the dark sky that go up before the mass ascension to check out the conditions prior to launch. You may want to tune your AM radio to 770 to hear all the coverage. Prior to launch you will see many balloons glowing with their vibrant colors during the early morning balloon glow. When the ground crews get the all clear message walk over to the field where you will be right next to 100’s of balloons inflating and taking off into the sky – don’t forger to bring your camera - after a little while the sky will be littered by every imaginable shape and size balloon. Of course you really don’t even have to leave your trailer as the balloons will most likely come right over you. Watch for the bee’s, the cow the scary face and many many more.

Once the balloons are gone – its time to walk over to the many vendors and check out their wares – have one of New Mexicos famous breakfast burrito’s – yum yum – if you feel like it you can walk over to the chain saw carving at the north end of the field, or on Sunday check out the cool cars at the car show on the field - by this time it is mid to late morning and time to come back to your trailer to relax a bit – read the paper that is delivered to your trailer each morning, go check out the sites of Albuquerque, ride the tram, go for a drive – have a nice lunch – take a nap or just hang and visit with your neighbor and talk for hours about Airstreams and road trips.

In the afternoon, you will have plenty of time to take a stroll or do a nice bike ride on the bike path that goes right by our front door and goes all over the city – you can pretty much get anywhere by bike right from Balloon Fiesta park.

Four o’clock its time for our famous FCU gathering – bring food, drink and a friend or two and hang out with us – bring food for yourself or to share with others – bring your dinner and have dinner with us if you like.

As the day comes to a close and the sky darkens – the balloons will light up again for a balloon glow – many balloons will be on the ground lighting up in a spectacular display of colors.

Then its time for fireworks! This is one of the best displays you will see – be sure to watch for a surprise at the west end of the field as the display wraps up.

After fireworks its time to come back to camp and sit around the (propane) campfire and tell all kinds of true and untrue stories. At some point you will want to retire – or not – maybe even stay up all night and just look at the New Mexico sky, sit back and think about what a day it has been – but wait – tomorrow you get to do it all over again!
Rally
restoration rally
Old 09-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #343
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
One of our favorite events is the America's Challenge Gas Balloon Race Launch. This year 8 teams will be taking off on Saturday evening to see which team can go the furthest. They will be up for several days and you can follow them online. They will be filling the balloons all afternoon that day and hopefully the weather will cooperate for that evenings launch.

The zebras are great too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1929.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	140666  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 09-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #344
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
A question about which direction the Airstreams are parked. With the popularity of front beds, the best views of the field are from the rear dinette. Others with rear beds would probably want to have the front face the field. I suppose some would rather watch from bed.

So, do we have a choice which direction our trailers are parked?

Gene
Old 09-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #345
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
..So, do we have a choice which direction our trailers are parked?...
No hookups. There is an alignment that you have to conform to, roughly north-south, with most [old] trailers facing north (facing: as in, the end with the tongue). But you could easily "face" the other way, which in the case of the rear-end models, would be "butt" the other way.

Zep
Old 09-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #346
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Not sure what you mean Roger - all units must pull in facing north - which on trailers is tongue to the north - motorhomes windshild to the north.

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 09-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #347
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
A question about which direction the Airstreams are parked. With the popularity of front beds, the best views of the field are from the rear dinette. Others with rear beds would probably want to have the front face the field. I suppose some would rather watch from bed.

So, do we have a choice which direction our trailers are parked?

Gene
This being my first time to the Fiesta, and having a front bedroom model, I thought about the same question you asked above, but then came to the conclusion that most likely I'll be outside sitting in a lounge chair anyway and having my coffee out there.
I understand the TV's are parked around the back of the trailers too. So grabbing a chair and sitting outside seems to be the way to go.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #348
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Yupper
Rally
restoration rally
Old 09-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #349
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post
Not sure what you mean Roger - all units must pull in facing north - which on trailers is tongue to the north - motorhomes windshild to the north.
I knew you'd correct me if I was wrong. It just seemed to me that since there is an allley between each row, that you could pull in either way, since you'd fit into your allowed rectangle no matter whether you were facing north or south. I didn't think about the awnings... and privacy.

Speaking of which, at Burning Man we parked parallel, but opposite direction so we could be awning to awning, which made for great little party venues.

I will now shut up and go back to coloring.
R/Z
Old 09-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #350
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J View Post

Ken J.
Bummer.

If tow vehicles are parked on south side, seems the parking is backwards.

I don't plan to be outside all the time. There are going to be a bunch of rowdies, drinkers, crazies, New Mexicans, trailer trash, scorpions, black widows, bugs and coyotes (some howling and painted turquoise) out there.

Gene

Tags
albuquerque, rally, wbcci, balloon festival