Old 02-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #225
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Unhappy regrets & ideas

I called and cancelled my room at the Comfort Inn next door. I will not be able to attend the rally.
I was never coming with the trailer but had planned on being there Fri thru Sunday. Was going to pay fee upon arrival. Not possible this year.

There are only a few rooms left apparently for the weekend at the Inn.
My rate was $81 per night plus tax. That with AAA discount (-$9).
Thought that was a bit steep for that area but it would have been worth it to attend. There was no discount for Airstreamers even tho the RV-park and the Inn are owned by same folks.
Comfort Inn Braunig Lake (Elmendorf Tx.)
http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-elme...?promo=gglocal

I had plans to also make the San Antone Rodeo but will miss that too.
San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo - 2009 Entertainment Lineup

I do want to congratulate all who put this together, it looks like a well planned and thought out deal. Special kudos to G.Stephens & John Irwin and others for sure, (sorry I don't know names).

I know it is late but I hope someone will consider this suggestion.
Go to the following URLs and look at the EXCELLENT job Rocky Mount-VAC did with photos of participants and rally general interest photos.
Someone with the skill to operate camera and pose the subjects please bring a good camera and tripod and do the Alumni thing. In front of their trailers if feasable or with a good (people-less) backdrop with good lighting. Write down who's who as pix are taken.
A roving photographer for the "scrapbook" shots would be a plus I think too. Don't forget a notepad to ID the shots as you get them.

2004 Aluminum Alumni
2004 VAC Rally Attendees

2006 Scrapbook
2006 Scrapbook

BTW here are some additional San Antonio spots that I do not think were mentioned elsewhere in this thread.
================================
Buckhorn Saloon & "Museum"~ Great old place a downtown institution for tourist (near the Alamo, couple of city blocks).
The Buckhorn Museum, Saloon, & Live Shows - Home
=====================================
Witte Interesting Museum if you have the time. (near sunken gardens & zoo)
Welcome To The Witte Museum
=========================================
Japaneese Tea Garden formerly know as Sunken Gardens (used to be free). My late mom loved this spot. I used to always go by here if I had any spare time in San Antonio.
Japanese Tea Garden History
==========================================
Menger ~ My favorite hotel in America (next door to Alamo) If you just like to walk thru Classic Hotels 9ck out the bar where Teddy Roosevelt recruited.
Menger Hotel: Home Page
=====================================
Gunter ~ Another old Classic Hotel downtown Across from the Majestic Theatre another fine visit if open.
Sheraton Gunter Hotel - San Antonio, Texas - Attractions - So much to see and do.
======================================

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #226
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Oh and if someone decides on the Aluminum Alumni pix, don't let early leavers miss their pic being taken likewise for any late arrivers. I for one like the pix of Airstream people a bit more than the pix of Airstream trailers. But only if I can identify who is who.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #227
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Distant,

They gave me a rate of $60 per night since I was military, but you are right about them not wanting to offer anything else for a discount. You will be missed, but hope you can make it next time.

Steve
Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #228
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Texas Vintage Rally!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetervB View Post
forget it
I'm told the schedule of events planned for the Texas Vintage Rally is posted at the WBCCI Region 9 website. I'd think is should also be up here on this thread on the Forums by now. If not, please accept appologies. Putting all this together has been a daunting exercise, and I guess some obvious chores may have been inadvertantly overlooked. If you are in the San Antonio area, please do just consider driving over, meet a ton of great Airstreamer's and attend a seminar to three.
Jim
Old 02-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #229
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
At the rally

We came down a day early with much of the material for the welcome packets and the seminars. Bucked a stiff headwind all the way down (~100 miles). This is our 4th time at this park, so I didn't even have to listen to the GPS to get here.

We have about 30 or 35 rigs here already. The parkers came in on Monday and have been busy ever since. We have past International IP, International 1st VP, and two of our Region officers here.

The park didn't adhere to the block of sites they promised us, so we are a lot more scattered than we hoped, but the vintage folks are pretty tightly grouped together for the open house. Our dealer has 4 new trailers on display.

We have a pot luck this evening. Rally furnishes ham. Tomorrow is creole meal cooked by Vince Saltaformaggio from New Orleans who is putting on the Mardi Gras rally. Saturday is catered BBQ.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #230
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Alright...my mouth is watering. I had thought the pot luck was Thursday night, and I hoped to get in on the tail end of it when I arrive. Has the meal schedule moved up a day?

Steve
Old 02-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #231
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Steve.. The potluck is scheduled for tomorrow night ... Thurs.. as stated in the program handouts..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #232
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Alright...my mouth is watering. I had thought the pot luck was Thursday night, and I hoped to get in on the tail end of it when I arrive. Has the meal schedule moved up a day?

Steve
My bad. I am a day out of sync from coming in a day early.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #233
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
We arrived Monday about 4:30pm. Wasn't planning to drive in one day but Mr. was driving, he sure was tired. It is Wed 7:15pm and trailers are still arriving. This is our first Rally with more than 25 trailers, this is so cool. The planners have done a great job.
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #234
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
i've been here at the airport for about 45 minutes. I am fidgity with anticipation (or the Mountain Dew). I had to check two heavy bags, but when I reached for my wallet to pay the $100 fee, the clerk noticed my Military ID and waived the charge. Nice to see the airlines aring about something elses other than money.

See you all at dinner!

Steve
Old 02-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #235
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Going strong

Most of the 100-odd rigs are safely here and parked. We had 2 seminars today on restoration and axle replacement. We had over 80 folks at the first and over 60 at the second.

Tomorrow is polishing seminar and three indoor seminars including a talk by the state patrol folks on safety and laws.

It is very windy, but everyone is in T-shirts and many folks are in shorts.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #236
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Corpus Christi , Texas
Keep that last vintage spot open. We will be arriving in the morning!
Old 02-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #237
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
"Definitely take the 281 route if at all possible. Coming so far, what's another 80 miles?

It'll be worth it, I promise. I live in Austin and I love Austin, but the hassles of taking I35 through downtown Austin just aren't worth it, unless you plan to stop off and hang out for a couple of days.

But, if you DO decide to take I35 through Austin, stay on the upper deck (far right lanes) of I35 though downtown Austin and you'll be able to see the State Capitol building as well as the campus for The University of Texas as you drive through the city.

Safe travels, and I'll be looking for you all on Saturday when I come down.

-Marcus"

We ended up splitting the difference. Took I-35 to Denton, and then 380 across to 281. Austin would have been interesting to see, but we definitely enjoyed the 281 route. Loved the small towns, old courthouses and good road. Really enjoying the rally. Hope to see you here.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #238
Grandma - still learning

2000 27' Safari
Austin , Texas
It is Saturday night and I am reflecting on what a wonderful rally this was! It is evident that all the hosts and "helping units" really pulled together to make things run smoothly. Care and feeding of 200+ people is not an easy job and you did it well. The workshops/demos contained lots of useful practical information of interest to many. It was fantastic to meet so many "new" participants in the Open House today. What a collection of beautiful trailers! We thank you all for coming.