Old 01-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMopar440 View Post
I just found this thread today. Is there an events schedule posted anywhere yet? I won't be able to bring my 73 Soverign (unsafe to tow) but the wife and I would definately like to attend most of the seminars. Is there a schedule of which tells which seminars will be given at what times/dates yet?
I'm the seminar chairman.

I'll have the day-to-day schedule posted early next week. I'm waiting for confirmation from the Dept. of Public Safety liaison that I will have a DPS trooper to talk to us about safety and Texas towing laws. My contact has been out of his office for several weeks.

I can confirm that there will be outdoor seminars Thursday, Friday, and Saturday on restoration of a vintage trailer.
  • Thursday, 10am, Rescue of 54 Flying Cloud
  • Thursday, 2pm, Torsion axle replacement
  • Friday, 9:30 am, polishing demo
  • Saturday, 10am, Riveting and skin repair

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #142
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I believe the demand for sites will soon exceed the 104 sites that we have reserved. I now have 103 folks on my list who have indicated either here on the forums, through Private Messages, emails or who have confirmed through phone calls that they will be attending and have said they will be soon sending, or have already sent, in their their registrations. Everytime I receive an update there are a number of folks listed that I knew nothing about.

My list of 103 may be somewhat off because it includes forums members for whom I have no names other than their forums handle. I match up forums handles and registrations as best I can using first names when I know them and cities or towns in their address with those listed in their forums avatars, but I am relatively certain I have failed to identify a few folks here and there. As of today we have received somewhere between 75 and 80 registrations with about 35 of those being Vintage Trailers.

If you are serious about coming, it would be a good idea if you registered soon to insure yourself a spot. I feel there will be some additional sites available here and there throughout the park, but I can't guarantee anyone that and you would not be parked with the other Airstreams. The park has told me that they have a higher than normal number of winter Texans in the park this year and have so far not been ameniable to allow us to reserve additional sites.

Gayland Stephens, Coordinating Chair

Old 01-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #143
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
SA is one of the country's major cities and there are more places to see and things to do in SA than I can list here. It is well worth coming to the rally early or staying over to enjoy this great city. This is a very partial list and I can personally vouch for every item on it:
  • The Alamo - 300 Alamo Plaza Admission is free.
  • Institute of Texan Cultures - 801 Bowie St., HemisFair Park. All about early Texas.
  • La Villita - Bounded by South Alamo, E. Nueva, S. Presa, and the River Walk. My favorite SA area with myriad small shops and artisans.
  • Market Square (El Mercado) Shop and eat at Mi Tierra (My land), open since 1941.
  • River Walk - A 2.5-mile cobblestone path along the San Antonio River from the Municipal Auditorium to the King William Historic District. River-level shops, restaurants and nightclubs.
  • San Antonio Botanical Garden - 555 Funston Place. Awesome.
  • San Antonio Zoo - 3903 N. St. Mary's Street
  • Sea World of Texas - Located 16 miles northwest of downtown San Antonio off State Highway 151.
  • Six Flags Fiesta Texas Theme Park..NW SA
  • Spanish Governor's Palace - 105 Plaza de Armas.
  • Tower of The Americas - A 750-foot tower constructed for the 1968 HemisFair. Observation area and revolving restaurant. 600 HemisFair Park.
  • Lunch at the Guenther House at Pioneer Mills in the historic King William District.
FYI - In case anyone is interested I wanted to mention that the 2009 San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo will be going on at this time. They will have some very good entertainment in addition to the rodeo. I think the AT & T Center is about 15 miles from the Braunig Lake RV Resort.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #144
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I'm the seminar chairman.

I'll have the day-to-day schedule posted early next week. I'm waiting for confirmation from the Dept. of Public Safety liaison that I will have a DPS trooper to talk to us about safety and Texas towing laws. My contact has been out of his office for several weeks.

I can confirm that there will be outdoor seminars Thursday, Friday, and Saturday on restoration of a vintage trailer.
  • Thursday, 10am, Rescue of 54 Flying Cloud
  • Thursday, 2pm, Torsion axle replacement
  • Friday, 9:30 am, polishing demo
  • Saturday, 10am, Riveting and skin repair

John:

Have you got a rally schedule completed? I had call last night asking about it and didn't have anything but this to offer them.

What day would you recommend people arrive to be able to take advantage of all of the seminars?
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #145
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Seminar Schedule

Here is a preview of what will be printed in the rally book. There may be minor changes, but this is pretty firm.

Texas Vintage Airstream Rally - 2009 Schedule

Wednesday, February 4
1:00 - 5:00 p.m. Parking/Registration
5:00 - 6:00 p.m. Happy Hour Lakeside
Dinner on Your Own

Thursday, February 5
9:00 - 11:30 a.m. Parking/Registration
10:00 - 12:00 a.m. Rescue a 1954 Flying Cloud Demo Trailer - Pat McDowell
Lunch on Your Own
1:30 - 5:00 p.m. Parking/Registration
2:00 - 3:00 p.m. Tosion Axle Replacemant Vintage Row - Dennis Waterman
6:00 p.m. Pot Luck Dinner, Lakeside (Ham furnished, bring a side dish or dessert )
7:00 p.m. Welcome Lakeside
7:30 p.m. Airstream History, Lakeside - Dale "PeeWee" Schwamborn

Friday, February 6
9:30 - 11:00 a.m. Polishing Demonstration Demo Trailer -
Pat McDowell/David Blakey
10:00 - 11:00 a.m. Digital Photography, Lakeside - Fred Hazen
11:00 - 12:00 a.m. Ideas from Airstream Life, Lakeside - John Irwin
Lunch on Your Own
1:00 - 5:00 p.m. Parking/Registration
1:00 - 5:00 p.m. New Airstreams Open, Parking Lot - Camper Clinic II
1:00 - 3:00 p.m. Judging Vintage Trailers, Vintage Row
2:00 - 3:00 p.m. Towing Safety & Laws, Lakeside - DPS Trooper Travis Hall
5:00 - 6:00 p.m. Diesel Engine TLC, Creekside - Park Host
6:00 p.m. Catered Dinner, Lakeside
7:00 p.m. Airstream History, Lakeside -Dale Schwamborn

Saturday, February 7
9:00 - 11:00 a.m. Swap Meet, Lakeside
10:00 - 11:00 a.m. Riveting & Skin Repair, Demo Trailer -
McDowell/Blakey
10:00 - 12:00 a.m. New Airstreams Open, Parking Lot
Lunch on Your Own
1:00 - 4:00 p.m. Vintage Open House, Vintage Row - Open to the Public
1:00 - 4:00 p.m. New Airstreams Open, Parking Lot
2:00 - 3:00 p.m. Public Interaction, Lakeside - Dale Schwamborn
6:00 p.m. Catered Dinner. Lakeside
7:00 p.m. Awards & Door Prizes, Lakeside

Sunday, February 4
Noon, Farewells
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-11-2009, 07:01 AM   #146
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cleveland , Texas
Well hello again. With the weather, Holidays, and another year down, Happy new year to all. It is time for me to get back to business with my AS work to be road ready for this trip. I was hoping to be further along with it, but I believe it will be more of a "rolling hard top tent". I stilll need to do some cabinet work and investigate the dark cavity of the black tank area and put some new bedding mattresses in as well as reinstall the kitchen sink. Maybe someone has some good ideas of cabinetry on a budget. Anyway this is more of a "Hello again", and hope to see ya'll at the rally.
Adam
Old 01-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #147
Emmett & Roxie

2008 28' Safari SE
Friendswood , Texas
Our First Rally

My wife and I are new airstreamers - and new members of WBCCI. This will be our first rally and our first WBCCI activity so we are excited to attend. Hope to see you all in San Antonio. It is one of our favorite cities with lots to do and many great restaurants.

Any advice for a first timer coming to a rally?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #148
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
The friendliness is real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett&Roxie View Post
... Any advice for a first timer coming to a rally?
You might be caught off guard out how genuinely friendly Airstreamers are. Everyone is sincere about being pleased to meet you.

Have you practiced the secret handshake your dealer taught you?

Just kidding; I look forward to meeting you at the rally.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #149
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
We just got our heater out of the shop and James will be installing. But he doesn't think we are going to need it in Texas. I know Murphy's law, if you don't have it you will need it.

We are excited about meeting more A/S folks and checking our the vintage trailers. Our plans are to get there early to see some sights we haven't seen in 40 years. We spent our honeymoon in San Antonio, May 1968.
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #150
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
We’re looking forward to meeting everyone. Be certain to stop by and spend some time under the awning. We share something in common. We celebrated our honeymoon in the area at virtually the same time having married June 1, 1968.

When you arrive, you will be given a large welcome packet full of information about San Antonio attractions. We’ve already received the information from the San Antonio visitors bureau. We just need to collate and prepare it for you along with a program of the rally’s daily activities, your name tags, window signs for the vintage trailers denoting their model and year, a permanent memento of your attendance at this rally and other information.

You will likely find that many things around San Antonio have changed in the past forty years. We’ve arranged, if anyone is interested, to have the availability for tour buses who would come to the park to pick you up and then bring you back following tours of either San Antonio attractions or of the greater Texas Hill Country. The information I have indicates that these tour packages are priced at $52.50 and $59.00 per person respectively and can be arranged through the RV park after your arrival. These packages are independent of the Vintage Rally. Our only role is to make you aware of their availability.

Several of our Committee members spent part of last week at Braunig Lake RV Park to tweak final arrangements and to visit various attractions and restaurants so as to better be able to offer advice to those with questions. This rally is coming together very nicely. There have been a few disappointments over things we were hoping to provide that haven’t worked out, but over-all there is no question but that this will be the best Vintage Rally we’ve ever offered. At last count, 34 members of our Texas Highland Lakes Airstream Unit will be onsite to make certain that seminars go on as scheduled, that free coffee is always hot and fresh, that everyone’s questions are answered and that everyone feels welcome throughout the rally. We are aiming to please.

GStephens
Old 01-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #151
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Google maps now available

I have set up a Google aerial view/road map of the RV park showing the exit from I-37 and the park itself. You can choose a satellite view, a road map view, or a composite. Just click below to display the map. By clicking on the minus sign in the upper left-hand corner, you can expand the map to show the surrounding area.

Braunig Lake View

Enjoy!
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #152
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Interstate 37

Exit 130

[3] miles south of Loop 410

Looks like some very good planning, with plenty of effort. I went to college in San Antonio and loved it (okay, 30-years ago); ya'll have a breakfast at Mi Tierra for me! (Though it may not be the 0330 kind we used to enjoy). Wife and I still stop there because the food and memories are great.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #153
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
inbound from the north?

• Might I suggest?......Avoid Round Rock and Austin at all costs. It is the PITS with traffic and a speed trap. Try the 130 bypass on the East side...it is a toll but well worth it. Down toward Seguin and on to the south part of SA. You all on 281 already have it made. When the sun sets the traffic subsides and the speed trap remains.....then Austin ROCKS.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #154
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
I may not have the same memories of San Antonio as the honeymooners of the late 60's, but have a few memories myself of Lackland AFB & Sgt. Salazar in about 1965. Between basic training and my first leave into town, it was quite an eye opener for a country boy. I haven't been back since, but really looking forward to this rally, meeting all of you that have worked so hard to put this together and seeng that part of the country again.