Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #281
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Jan and I will be leaving Phoenix on Thursday morning (early) and should be in Flagstaff by 9AM. Last year the caravan caught up to us at around 10AM. We made several stops along the way:
Two Guns - abandoned gas station
Twin Arrows - same
Winslow - standing on a corner
Joseph City - Jackass trading post
State Line - (AZ rest area)
Grants - KOA overnight

If you would to be part of the "Hot Air Express 2008" PM me with where you will be joining the caravan and the time you will be at that location. Include your cell phone number so we can contact each other while on the road.If you have any suggestions on a place to stop, include that also. I will send everyone who responds the list of all the numbers.

The trip from Flagstaff to Grants is around 4 hours. We can make several stops and still get there in the afternoon. In case you did not go last year, the KOA makes some great home made dinners and will deliver them to your trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 09-19-2008, 10:53 AM   #282
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Lamy , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag Sag View Post
We'll be looping in from the north and expect to be in the Taos / Santa Fe area about a week before the rally. Any suggestions as to where to stay? We've seen very little of NM and were thinking that would be a good area to base ourselves.

Bill
Bill, in the Santa Fe area, Santa Fe Skies is one of the nicer parks. Also there is Hyde State Park - on the road to the ski basin. Taos - Taos Valley RV Park. Reservations can be getting tight in advance of the Balloon Fiesta - both Santa Fe or Taos.

We are just outside of Santa Fe and can offer courtesy parking. PM if interested.

Howard

TAC NM-1
Four Corners Unit Treasurer
WBCCI 5279, AIR #24915
KF5RGU
Old 09-20-2008, 07:55 AM   #283
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Albq Balloon Festival

Bill: We are staying at Santa Fe Skies 9/24 depart 10/1 for American RV in Albq. We made reservations about 2 weeks ago but it seems things are filling up fast. Another spot in Santa Fe that we liked is the Rancheros de Santa Fe Campground. More woodsy, rustic, but nice. 1-800-426-9259 or Rancheros de Santa Fe Camground
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
Old 09-20-2008, 11:14 PM   #284
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
After the Balloon Fiesta?

Hi, after the Balloon Fiesta we were planning on staying one night, October 7th at Santa Fe Skies RV park. But as of now reservations are only taken by phone. [Black out period] I will call on Monday to see if we can get a space. Kind-of like to see Santa Fe while we are so close.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-21-2008, 07:50 AM   #285
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2008 27' Classic FB
Oak Harbor , Washington
Thanks to Silver Pal & Howard E. We got in at Silver Skies 9/28 - 10/3. Will look for like kind funny silver trailers there.

Bill
Old 09-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #286
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Gail and I are leaving Riverside, CA early Wednesday the 1st and have reservations at the Railside RV park in Williams, AZ; the same place the group stayed at last year. It was the meeting place for several of us to caravan to Flagstaff and pick up the others on our way to Thursday night's stop at the Grants KOA in NM.

We would like to encourage Robertsunrus and others coming from CA to meet us there. It's just a short hop to Flagstaff where we will meet Richard, Jan and other coming from Phoenix.

Regarding Richard's suggestion for a stop along the way. I suggest we stop in Winslow at the La Posada Museum and Gardens. The La Posada was one of the famous Harvey houses that brought fine dining and lodging to those who traveled throughout the West. You can read a little history at this web site: History of La Posada Hotel in Winslow, AZ . We might even grab a bite to eat there although I don't know how their prices run. If there is interest I'll call the hotel and check into to it, maybe even see if they have a tour.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Old 09-21-2008, 10:36 PM   #287
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Last year we joined the caravan in Flagstaff and motored as a group (more or less) to Grants. We made a few stops along the way make the drive a bit more fun. It would be great to do this again this year.

I'll start working on a tentative trip plan and post it later today. If we know where people will be joining the caravan we can pick locations for them to join up. Last year I collected cell phone numbers and sent the list out.

More to follow...
Richard, it may be just Gail and I meeting you in Flagstaff this year. Most of the others from last year aren't joining us at the FIesta or like Bob and Diana, had to cancel last month. Bob (robertsunrus) is coming but i haven't yet made contact with him to see if he will be with us at Flagstaff or not. How many do you expect to arrive in Flagstaff from Phoenix, when should we plan to meet you and where?

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Old 09-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #288
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We plan to be in Flagstaff by around 9am and plan to pull out around 10am. We can meet at Little America which is at the Butler Ave exit 198 which is just East of the I-17 interchange. They have a gigantic parking area for the 18 wheelers. So far it's just us and lhall (Louis and Sergio) meeting from Phoenix. I know there are several others from the Phoenix area, but they have not contacted me yet.

The La Posada in Winslow is a great stop. The lobby is a terrific place to visit. We had lunch there when the 4CU had a rally at meteor Crater last year. We will have to find a place to park, but that should not be a problem.

Richard

Old 09-26-2008, 11:37 PM   #289
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Time is running short

Hi, any updates, news, reports, or notices about the Balloon Fiesta? We are getting anxious and since it will take a few days to get there, for some of us, that means we only have a few more days to plan, pack, hitch-up, and go.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-27-2008, 06:39 AM   #290
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Everything is set to go, we are counting down for the big event. The weather should be fine, but the 10 day forecast has a chance of rain on Sunday afternoon / Monday morning. 10 days is a long way off weather wise. We are going to bring our 10x10 portable awning, just in case. We brought it last year and never opened it up. Don't forget your chairs and if you have one, bring a table. We are also packing our propane stove, fire dancer and the M-ball.

This is a great event, can't wait!

Richard

Old 09-27-2008, 08:25 AM   #291
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Should be at Enchanted Trails on Monday...will finish packing today(and probably tomorrow...). Concocted my chile-i-ly entry yesterday...bring your lip balm; I'll bring the Pepto...for the other entries...no beans, just meat.
Is there anyone out there I haven't yet bribed with shameless promises of undeliverable enticement? Just in case I missed anyone, I'll fix the economy when I get back from the Festival...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
Old 09-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #292
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Here are some of the things we will be bringing to the event
[edited]
1 small dog
Richard,
This being our first rally, it didn't occur to us that the Fiesta may have rules about animals.

I've found a few online references to dogs not being allowed - one mentioning the whole park, another that only mentions the field, and still another to just not allowed in the fueling area.

Should I be worried that our calm, quiet grey will get us kicked out of this thing? Or is she okay in the RV areas, but just not on the field?

Fellow Fiesta-ers, what are your experience with this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nellnap.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	68271  
Old 09-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #293
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Pets are fine in the RV area, basic rules apply (leash and pickup after). Pets are not allowed inside the Fiesta area. We did not bring our big dogs last year and have a sitter for them again this year. It's a long drive for them and the venue is not great for a couple of big dogs that love to run. They will be happier at home. We will bring Bandit who is now 16 1/2 years old, retired, deaf and loves to nap. Here is bandit at last years event.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0981.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	68272  

Richard

Old 09-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #294
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Cool, thanks Richard.
Nell fortunately loooves long rides, sleeping by the hour and doesn't need much exercise (apparently got it out of her system during her racing days).

We'll give it a go, since there's also no good dogsitter alternative for us. We'll obviously be very respectful of the rules though; fantastic manners, intense charm, winning good looks and quiet modesty are what we're known for.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #295
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Dogs

Thanks Richard for dog info.I had not even given it a thought since most RV places let you have your pets.
See you Thu.at the Grant KOA.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #296
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Jim,
You will get to Grants long before I do on Thursday. I figure you will be setup by noon and have a cold clamato and v waiting for Jan when we arrive. Could you remind the good folks at the KOA that we are together and see if we could park together? Last year we were all in one area near the field where the pets were walked.

bredlo.
We are looking forward to meeting you at the Fiesta. I'm sure there will be no issue with the pup. I would suggest that you have a rug for the dog outside the trailer. The area is packed gravel and there is no grass for the dogs to lie on.

Last years group photo:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	group.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	516.9 KB
ID:	68273  

Richard

Old 09-27-2008, 04:02 PM   #297
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Smile Head 'em up -

I'm loaded up and moving out in the AM. Looking forward to seeing those of you from last year and making friends with those who are coming for the first time. Have table, chair, and Zap who will turn 13 on New Year day.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:14 PM   #298
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Have a safe trip and we will see you at CW in Albuquerque. Jan wants a ride on your scooter this year again.

Richard

Old 09-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #299
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Modesty is a fault, and I have none...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
Cool, thanks Richard.SNIP
We'll obviously be very respectful of the rules though; fantastic manners, intense charm, winning good looks and quiet modesty are what we're known for.
Hey, you aren't running for TTQ, too, are you...?
mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
Old 09-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #300
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Greetings,
As an wannabe-Airstream-owner, I'd love to come walk around all the Airstreams that will be visiting Albuquerque for our Balloon fiesta. I'm sorry that I've not read all the threads on this...but wondering where you'll be staying, and is it possible to come and visit? Thanks!
Closed Thread