Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #181

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We are going to be arriving from Wyoming, and will come in from the north on I-25. We have gotten a reservation for the night of October 2nd at the KOA in Bernalillo, just north of Albuquerque (Exit 242).

The map of Balloon Fiesta Park that I printed fro the Forums show the Park as being on the west side of I-25 north of Alameda Boulevard. Microsoft Streets and Trips is showing the Park about a mile west of I-25 and south of Alameda Boulevard. Can someone clarify this for me?

Also, from where we are going to be, is it reasonable for us to meet with the group at the Camping World on the morning of the 3rd and, if so, where is it, and what time would we need to be there?

Thanx, Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 08-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #182
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Brian, Last year we met around 10 or 11 in the morning. Grants is 80 miles away and we had time for breakfast and the drive and made it with plenty of time to spare. You are just a few miles from ground zero, piece of cake. The CW is located just West of I-25 (3 or 4 miles) on the north frontage road of I-40. Traffic around the fiesta (Alameda and I-25) will be bad and you should try to avoid that area.

Friday is really a non balloon day at the fiesta. Many of the balloons take off from the local schools in Albuquerque, but not much happens at the fiesta. We drive in, setup and basically meet and greet everyone.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
Old 08-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #183
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Brian

KOA is north of Balloon Fiesta Park and West of I25 - probably about 10 miles away...

Where we are parking is on the north side of Almeda and West of I25 - there more more camping across Almeda (on the south side) but thats a sand pit and you have to walk across the street a ways to get to the events. We are beach front (and why its so expensive)

Yes meeting us at CW in the morning would be great as Richard says - Fri is a relaxed hang out meet/greet day.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Old 08-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #184
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
We have a reservation at Grants on Thursday nite as well

Not sure about our plans before that.......looking forward to the whole event. Paula & Ed.
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
Old 08-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #185
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We are going to be arriving from Wyoming, and will come in from the north on I-25. We have gotten a reservation for the night of October 2nd at the KOA in Bernalillo, just north of Albuquerque (Exit 242).

The map of Balloon Fiesta Park that I printed fro the Forums show the Park as being on the west side of I-25 north of Alameda Boulevard. Microsoft Streets and Trips is showing the Park about a mile west of I-25 and south of Alameda Boulevard. Can someone clarify this for me?

Also, from where we are going to be, is it reasonable for us to meet with the group at the Camping World on the morning of the 3rd and, if so, where is it, and what time would we need to be there?

Thanx, Brian
Brian - when you come down I-25, don't exit at 242. To get on S.Hill Rd from that exit will require immediately getting over 2 lanes to make a left at the intersection. That exit can get VERY congested. (We live at that exit)

Go south to exit 240 - the next one down. When you exit, make the very first right on to South Hill Rd. Go north for about 3/4 mile and the KOA will be on your left. It will be much easier and there won't be any traffic at the exit.

Here's a map...
555 S Hill Rd Bernalillo, NM 87004 - Google Maps

Safe travels
Jim

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 08-14-2008, 04:02 PM   #186
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
This is what it looked like last year at CW and what it looked like as we started our journey to the Fiesta.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0690.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	65725   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0692.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	65726  

Richard

Old 08-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #187
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Lamy , New Mexico
For Those coming South on I-25

We have enough space at the house to park 4-5 'streams before the start of the Fiesta. Can string out some electric. Water and a dump is available. We are off of exit 290 (on US 285) which puts us about 80 miles from Albuquerque and CW. Also 10 miles from downtown Santa Fe. Let us know.

We are about 45 miles North of I-40 for those coming from the East (exit at Clines Corners).

If you do not have a reservation yet, make one now since RV spots are few and far between during the Fiesta - draw a 100 mile radius circle around Albuquerque and it will be full!

Drop a PM or post if interested.

TAC NM-1
Four Corners Unit Treasurer
WBCCI 5279, AIR #24915
KF5RGU
Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #188
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Lamy , New Mexico
Pre-fiesta Idea.

Is there any interest in having an informal gathering about a week before the start of the Balloon Fiesta outside of Chama NM? The plan would be to be there about 9/26 -27 and leave about 9/30 or 10/1 to head South. While we were there it would be a good time to take the steam train from Chama to the high country where the Fall colors should be good. A good camping location would be Heron Lake State Park (Blanco Loop as first choce or Willow Creek loop) - $14/night with water and electric. The park is about 15 miles South of Chama. The state park reservation system will be shut down so it is grab a site when you get there.

One can take the train from Chama, NM to Antonito, CO (return by bus) or go to Osier (lunch stop) and change trains for the return to Chama. It is a double header from Chama to Cumbres Pass! The Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad contact information is 1-800-286-2737 or Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad

TAC NM-1
Four Corners Unit Treasurer
WBCCI 5279, AIR #24915
KF5RGU
Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 AM   #189
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Heron is a great place - we had a vintage rally there several years ago.

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 08-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #190
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Tic toc

Wow, the time she is a flying - The fiesta is just over a month away. Have not heard much about events. What you think about a chili cook off? Rules: 1.Must be a dish that feeds several people and has the word "Chili" in the name.
2. Must not corrode aluminum.
3.Must go good with margaritas.

Chili dump - same rules, no prize
Old 08-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #191
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Chili cook off sounds like fun. Anyone else?

Richard

Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 PM   #192
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
The way it's really spelled!!!

A cookoff sounds like a lot of fun. We would be up for it. However... in Arizona, Florida, Texas or wherever, you can spell it however you like. But remember, you all are coming to New Mexico. In New Mexico it's spelled C-H-I-L-E

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 08-15-2008, 11:24 PM   #193
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Chili cook off sounds like fun. Anyone else?
Gail and i are up for it. One of use will make our share.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Old 08-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #194
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Let do it!

Ken J
Rally
restoration rally
Old 08-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #195
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Sounds good to me...who's bringing the can-opener?
mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
Old 08-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #196
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod View Post
A cookoff sounds like a lot of fun. We would be up for it. However... in Arizona, Florida, Texas or wherever, you can spell it however you like. But remember, you all are coming to New Mexico. In New Mexico it's spelled C-H-I-L-E
I thought Chile was a South American Country. My entry will be Chili Verdes con Carne de cerdo and yes it will have beans.. I did look chile up in Webster and they indicate it refers to sodium nitrate, a chemical sometimes sprinkled on the food of servicemen stationed overseas.

Oh Kevbo - where are you when I need you?
Old 08-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #197

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I always thought it was spelled CHILLY. Being that neither one of us can cook, we better bring the napkins of something else pre-prepared by someone else.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 08-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #198
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
Chilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I always thought it was spelled CHILLY. Being that neither one of us can cook, we better bring the napkins of something else pre-prepared by someone else.

Brian
No - no Chilly is the responses I get when I come up with these half baked posts
Old 08-16-2008, 02:31 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Rivet View Post

I thought Chile was a South American Country. My entry will be Chili Verdes con Carne de cerdo and yes it will have beans.. I did look chile up in Webster and they indicate it refers to sodium nitrate, a chemical sometimes sprinkled on the food of servicemen stationed overseas.

Oh Kevbo - where are you when I need you?
no... no... no.... no.... no...
... ... .... .... ...

Go here...
Northern New Mexico : In Depth : Cuisine | Frommers.com

Scroll down to the paragraph that starts with...

"You Say Chili, We Say Chile -- You'll never see "chili" on a menu in New Mexico. New Mexicans are adamant that chile, the Spanish spelling of the word, is the only way to spell it -- no matter what your dictionary might say."

... and read all of the passage. You'll even see that the "e" spelling has even been entered into the congressional record.

so.... since I see lots of Spanish words in the title of your recipe you should use the Spanish spelling of chile - or - Chile Verdes con Carne de cerdo (by the way, it sounds delicious - I can't wait to try it!

I think our entry may be a classic New Mexican Green Chile Stew

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Old 08-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
Ok - what ya think about this

All About New Mexico Search site for:
Chile Pepper Info, Products, & Recipes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activities | Attractions | Chile Info & Recipes | Food & Dining | Cities/Counties | Commercial Products | Events | General Info | Government | History/Archeology/Genealogy | Libraries | Maps | Medical | Miscellaneous | Museums | Newspapers/Mags/TV/Radio | Nonprofits/Groups | Pictures/Travelogues | Research Centers | Schools/Universities | Weather | Site Index | About Site

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this page:
Chile, Food of the Gods: About Chile - Books About Chile - Pictures of Chile - How To Prepare and Cook Chile - How To Grow Chile - Chile Events in New Mexico - Chile-Head Sites - Chile and Chile Products For Sale - Chile Seeds and Plants For Sale - New Mexican Cuisine, Cookbooks, & Recipes: About the Cuisine - Chile Cookbooks - Chile Recipes - Recipes for the other kind of chili

Chile, Food of the Gods
About chile: What's the big deal?
Chile is a term which usually refers to any of hundreds of chile peppers used in cuisines across the world to flavor and spice food. In New Mexico, however, chile means much more than that. Chile is the state's largest agricultural crop, but more than that, across the state of New Mexico chile is consumed at every meal, is celebrated in songs and at festivals, and is the subject of the Official New Mexico State Question, "Red or green?", estimated to be uttered between 175,000 to 200,000 times a day in New Mexico. The question refers to the color of chile you want on your food. (If you can't decide, say "Christmas" and you'll get both red and green on the same plate.)
All about chiles - A great introduction to "our favorite little pods": what they are, what they're used for, and a brief history of their introduction and development into a major agricultural industry in New Mexico. "Chile has long been used in folk medicine and lately, as well as heat and flavor, it’s been found to pack an antibacterial punch. You’ll find the pepper pods in mayonnaise, lozenges, liniments and pepper sprays. Loaded with nutrients including calcium, iron and vitamins A and C, chile also is used to relieve headaches and decorate homes with ristras. It’s even been known to provide a color boost to fading flamingos."
An introduction to chiles - Addresses why people eat food that hurts, whether it's spelled "chile" or "chili", and other important issues.
All about chiles - Chile anatomy, types, pungency, diseases, nutritional value, glossary, production statistics, and growing tips from the Chile Pepper Institute.
Another introduction to chiles - Addresses the difference between red and green chile, the difference between 'chile' and chili', explains how to roast green chiles and rehydrate red chiles, and other chile facts.
A Chili, is a Chili, is a Chili, or is it? - Why chiles are called peppers (and why Native Americans are called Indians)
Chile peppers fire up New Mexico cuisine - "The cuisine of New Mexico represents a diverse blend of Pueblo, Spanish Colonial, and Mexican and American frontier cooking."
The legacy of chile according to New Mexico's chief chilehead - by Dave DeWitt. History of chile and chile growing in New Mexico.
Chile-rich New Mexico - by D'Lyn Ford. "Whether it's grown for fresh market sales or processing, chile brings big bucks to New Mexico's economy."
Peppers under pressure: Preserving the business of red and green - by D'Lyn Ford. "After 400 years, chile's status as signature crop of New Mexico is well preserved in memories and freezers throughout the state. But the $250 million pepper processing industry that has emerged over the last 30 years faces intense international competition and weather, disease, and insect problems. Every segment of the industry - from red and green chile to cayenne and jalapeño production - is under pressure."
Which is hotter, red or green? - As this page explains, "A general rule of thumb to use is that red is usually milder while green is usually hotter. This is not always true, though, so you should always ask the server. The real truth is that red is more consistent in "hotness" while green can vary significantly."
Chile pungency - What causes peppers to be hot, how hotness is measured, and a chart showing the heat values of most common chile peppers. "The most common way to test chile pungency is to taste the pod. This method, although quick and cost-effective, may leave the tester in some pain. There are two other ways of testing pungency as well, the Scoville organoleptic test and high performance liquid chromatography."
Revised Chile Heat Scale - by Dave DeWitt. "Improving technology and more selective breeding has changed the standard heat levels for some chiles. Here is the most up-to-date chart, compiled by the pioneering experts in the Fiery Foods Industry."
The Question of Chile Addiction - by Kellye Hunter and Dave DeWitt. "What is it about chiles that makes us continue to want more of them? Is it really possible to get addicted to chile?"
Burning in the Mouth, Fire in the Belly: Why Some Like It Hotter Than Others - by Dave DeWitt. The chemical basis of why chile tastes hot, and a great section on how to make it stop hurting and wash the heat away.
Pepper Profiles - From the Mo Hotta, Mo Betta site, detailed profiles of over a dozen peppers including pictures, vital statistics, and interesting info about each kind.
Pepper Profile: New Mexican Varieties - by Dave DeWitt. History, botanical information, and recipes featuring New Mexico's favorite food. "The intense use of chiles as a food rather than just as a spice or condiment is what differentiates New Mexican cuisine from that of Texas or Arizona. In neighboring states, chile powders are used as a seasoning for beef or chicken broth-based "chili gravies," which are thickened with flour or cornstarch before they are added to, say, enchiladas. In New Mexico, the sauces are made from pure chiles and are thickened by reducing the crushed or pureed pods." (Fiery-Foods.com)
More Pepper Profiles - In-depth description and and history of a different type of chile each month. Includes recipes. (Fiery-Foods.com)
Read testimonials about the lengths people will go to get green chile after they move away from New Mexico. (click on "Testimonials" in the green navigation bar at the top.)
A guide to Southern New Mexico chile - by Sunny Conley. "Welcome to Southern New Mexico! You have ventured upon the hottest spot in the U.S.A. I’m not talkin’ solar heat. I’m talkin’ chile fire."
Bush Medicine: Folk Cures with Chile Peppers - by Dave DeWitt. A quite thorough study of chile pepper folk cures used in various cultures.
Chile Legend & Lore - by Dave DeWitt. "The ritual uses of chiles range from the innocuous to the murderous, but the fiery pods are always powerful."
The Chile Way to Burn Fat and Boost Metabolism. - From the "Too good to be true" department: How a chile-peppered diet can help burn fat and control cholesterol. "Chile in the diet can enhance the means by which cholesterol and fats are processed. Studies have found that capsaicin works in two ways to reduce cholesterol levels: it decreases cholesterol absorption by the body so that more is excreted in the feces; and it increases the enzymes responsible for fat metabolism in the liver, so that more triglycerides, the hard insoluble fat, are secreted by the liver rather than accumulated in the body."
Chile Knights: Chile Lore, Tales & Tidbits "A weekly column that appears online as well as in the Las Cruces Sun-News in Las Cruces, New Mexico, a chile-fertile valley shadowed by the majestic Organ Mountains." Nice articles that almost always include a recipe or two.
The Chile Pepper Institute - For more than a century, New Mexico State University’s College of Agriculture and Home Economics has been breeding new and improved varieties of chile and aiding the state’s farmers in developing the commercial chile industry. The Chile Pepper Institute is a clearinghouse of chile research and information, including access to research publications about how to grow and harvest chile, a searchable database of 7,000 citations, and a chile disease diagnostic center.
The Chile Pepper Institute, NMSU's little hot spot for chile information - by Natalie Johnson. "Despite cramped quarters and a small staff, this nonprofit organization feeds the world's need for the most up-to-date scientific information about chile."
Name a new chile variety - "A charitable gift to the Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University can make you one of the fortunate few who name a new chile variety*. *The only stipulation is that the name must be approved by the Dean of NMSU’s College of Agriculture and Home Economics."
Not-so-hot chile - A story about chile breeder Paul Bosland's spiceless jalapeño.
Closed Thread