Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-04-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
yukionna's Avatar
 
Massachusetts
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 1964 17' Bambi II
Posts: 4,278
Images: 18
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
2007 VAC Wagon Wheels caravan

Planning has begun for the 2007 VAC Wagon Wheels caravan to the International Rally in Perry, GA. The caravan this year is an “express” caravan, jointly hosted by the New England and Washington DC Units. The caravan leaders are yukionna (NEU) and rideair (WDCU).

The start of the caravan is at the Danbury, CT rest area on Friday, June 22 and includes four nights of camping, ending in Georgia on Monday, June 26. All VAC members and associates are welcome on the caravan and you may join the caravan anywhere en route. All vintage rigs are welcome to participate in the vintage parade into International on Tuesday.

Visit the caravan website for the most up to date information on the caravan.

Here is a summary of the planned overnight stops:

Thursday, June 21: Danbury, CT rest area
Friday, June 22: Bealeton, VA
Saturday, June 23: Reidsville, NC
Sunday, June 24: Columbia, SC
Monday, June 25: TBD in GA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	logo.gif
Views:	117
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	29432  
__________________

__________________
WBCCI Region One

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
yukionna's Avatar
 
Massachusetts
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 1964 17' Bambi II
Posts: 4,278
Images: 18
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
I'm just looking over your route...
Looks like you're covering a lot of ground that first full day. Not complaining we'll wind meeting up with you folks in Bealeton but it's about the same drive from Long Island to there...
Yes, the first day is the longest -- about 6 hrs of driving not including gas/food stops. Do you have an approximate idea of how many folks might be joining the caravan from your rally?
__________________

__________________
WBCCI Region One

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Over59's Avatar
 
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,064
Images: 37
Express????

You guys are really making the trip last forever. Come on. This is a two day trip. What's the pokin about? You are really only going 3 1/2 hours a day. I think you need to rename this snail...
__________________
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
rideair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,223
Over59,

Most of the "Wagon Wheels Caravans" of the past were around 7 days long. In fact, some people would do the caravan and skip the International Rally. So, compared to "Wagon Wheels Caravans" of the past, it is an "Express". Plus one has to ask, "Are you using the roads to have a goodtime? or "Are you using the roads to make goodtime?

I plan to use my 1962 Galaxie Conv. to pull the Safari down to Perry. It has a 16 gallon tank, I'll be stopping around every 100 miles for gas. So with gas stops, food, stopping to look at things and traveling at 55mph, I'll be on the road for about 6-7 hours a day. I'll let you go ahead and get there first, I'll I ask is to have a cold one waiting!


Paul Waddell
WDCU Prez (In the words of Richard Nixon "I'm not a crook")
__________________
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
wheel interested's Avatar
 
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
You guys are really making the trip last forever. Come on. This is a two day trip. What's the pokin about? You are really only going 3 1/2 hours a day. I think you need to rename this snail...
No wonder I have never spotted you on the road. I noticed the glint but I thought that was the sun for a moment.

Once the caravanners start signing up I'd be interested in how many non-vintage will be traveling with you. I imagine they will be entering the bullpen together and parked in the same vacinity, prior to the vintage parade?
__________________
Caroljb



photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
More than one rivet loose
 
thecatsandi's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,754
Bealeton, VA? I used to live in Bealeton! Too bad I had enough room in my back yard to park three or four units.
__________________
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
yukionna's Avatar
 
Massachusetts
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 1964 17' Bambi II
Posts: 4,278
Images: 18
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Once the caravanners start signing up I'd be interested in how many non-vintage will be traveling with you. I imagine they will be entering the bullpen together and parked in the same vacinity, prior to the vintage parade?
I'm not sure exactly how that works but I do know that those vintage rigs who are participating in the parade will be queued up separately from those rigs not participating in the parade. The vintage parade participants will enter the rally together as part of the parade and will be parked together in the vintage area at the end of the parade route. InsideOut is coordinating the vintage parade so she will have the most accurate info on this topic. Rideair and I are just coordinating getting the caravan to the Monday night camping location that InsideOut decides on.
__________________
WBCCI Region One

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #8
IH Collector
 
IH Collector's Avatar
 
1963 16' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
Cumberland , Rhode Island
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 44
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
Over59,

Most of the "Wagon Wheels Caravans" of the past were around 7 days long. In fact, some people would do the caravan and skip the International Rally. So, compared to "Wagon Wheels Caravans" of the past, it is an "Express". Plus one has to ask, "Are you using the roads to have a goodtime? or "Are you using the roads to make goodtime?

I plan to use my 1962 Galaxie Conv. to pull the Safari down to Perry. It has a 16 gallon tank, I'll be stopping around every 100 miles for gas. So with gas stops, food, stopping to look at things and traveling at 55mph, I'll be on the road for about 6-7 hours a day. I'll let you go ahead and get there first, I'll I ask is to have a cold one waiting!


Paul Waddell
WDCU Prez (In the words of Richard Nixon "I'm not a crook")

Hi there Paul,

Nancy Platt has told me about your IH Travelall and pointed me to a picture on the forum, nice setup. I was planning on taking the Bambi down to Perry with a modern tow vehicle for faster speed so as not to hold up the group and, the air conditioning. I would rather take the Travelall and forego the a/c if you folks would be taking it easy on the way down (around 55 mph). My unit is in good shape but the pocket with my 4:11 gear ratio is between 55 and 60. I have attached a photo of the rig. Talk to you soon. Paul P.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1319 (Large).JPG
Views:	105
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	29515
__________________
Paul & Melanie-1963 16' Bambi
IH Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
rideair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,223
Bring it along!

IH Collector,

Nice! I have a 1968 T-all, 304/AT/2wd. It has a 305 rear that makes going up hill a little tuff. But, I've manage to pull the 22' footer and the 26' footer all over the place with it. If you don't mind the heat and you think the T-all is up to it, bring it along! When I was checking out the route, miles, time of year, etc.. I went into it with the "vintage pullers" in mind. I see you have the 4:11 rear, what trans/engine? What year? 1963??

Paul Waddell
WDCU Prez (In the words of Richard Nixon "I'm not a crook")
__________________
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:24 PM   #10
IH Collector
 
IH Collector's Avatar
 
1963 16' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
Cumberland , Rhode Island
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 44
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
IH Collector,

Nice! I have a 1968 T-all, 304/AT/2wd. It has a 305 rear that makes going up hill a little tuff. But, I've manage to pull the 22' footer and the 26' footer all over the place with it. If you don't mind the heat and you think the T-all is up to it, bring it along! When I was checking out the route, miles, time of year, etc.. I went into it with the "vintage pullers" in mind. I see you have the 4:11 rear, what trans/engine? What year? 1963??

Paul Waddell
WDCU Prez (In the words of Richard Nixon "I'm not a crook")
Rideair,

I have the stock 266 V8 with a 4-speed. It is a 1962 C-120 (3/4 ton) Custom. I'm confident that it could make the trip. It is heavy duty everything, a real tank. Take care. Paul
__________________
Paul & Melanie-1963 16' Bambi
IH Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Over59's Avatar
 
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,064
Images: 37
So you are getting there a week before the Rally.
Does everyone get a sticker????
__________________
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
yukionna's Avatar
 
Massachusetts
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 1964 17' Bambi II
Posts: 4,278
Images: 18
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
So you are getting there a week before the Rally.
The plan is to arrive two days before the rally officially starts:
  • Arrive/overnight camp in Perry, GA area on Monday, June 25.
  • Vintage parade into International on Tuesday, June 26
  • Opening ceremonies for International Rally on Wednesday, June 27
Here is a link to the coupon for the International Rally.
__________________
WBCCI Region One

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:14 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Here is a summary of the planned overnight stops:

Thursday, June 21: Danbury, CT rest area
Friday, June 22: Bealeton, VA
Saturday, June 23: Reidsville, NC
Sunday, June 24: Columbia, SC
Monday, June 25: TBD in GA
I've camped before at that location you chose at Lake Reidsville in NC. That is a gorgeous location with sites right on the lake. Good choice.
__________________
rebfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:09 PM   #14
Always Airstreaming!
 
rickandsandi's Avatar
 
2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,114
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
OK slow pokes! Five days? Are we that old yet? How many of us have done the NE to FL in 24? Surely Perry is closer than Fort Lauderdale!
__________________

__________________
J. Rick Cipot
Sandi Gould
NEU New England Unit
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airstream Wheels JAG Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 10 06-01-2006 09:54 PM
VAC Estes Park Rally... InsideOut WBCCI Rallies & Events 6 08-22-2002 01:26 PM
Airstream steel wheels davidz71 Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 0 05-21-2002 06:18 PM
Best wheels & Tires... Andy R Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 4 04-15-2002 11:41 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.