Old 06-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Diary of a Perry Volunteer who arrived Friday June 8th,

"Monday,June 11, The alarm goes off at 7 AM. I have to report at 7:45 to the
parking area. I meet the gang and get our flags and walk down to the open field.
At 8 AM ,they are starting to line up on our street for parking. We take orders
from (name removed), We start the job, all rigs pull in and some go around and pull
past the other ones. No one really has to back-up. They are all staggered,back
bumper to bumper. This goes pretty smoothly, we park 28 in one bunch and 10 more
on the other side of the road. This takes about an hour. Guess What??? We are
Done for the Day!! How's that for volunteering!! And I am off till
Friday...yeah.... yeah!!"

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:06 AM   #114
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Carole, I would have sworn that I had read that you had decided not to attend because of the heat. I see you are there! Keep us informed if you can...I guess you'll have plenty of time it would seem. How are you getting on-line? Is there free wi-fi furnished by the Fairgrounds as part of the rally...or do we want to know? You're not pinching any crackers are you?

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:42 AM   #115
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Jon, you are correct... the heat deterred me! (But I'll be darned if I don't just keep thinking about swinging by from Ohio after our woman's rally.) My post is a quote from the online journals of Airstream Hobo who you may know from this forum.

Kind of threw me reading that you saw me in Perry this morning. (I hadn't had my coffee yet ) And now I have this craving for a cracker all of a sudden...

Perry had free wi-fi at the Mid-Winter IBT but it was down more than it was working. There is always Mc Donalds, just down the block for anyone not able to get online at the fairgrounds.

photography
Old 06-13-2007, 10:46 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Carole,

Do you have any idea if there's any kind of cellular signal at the fairgrounds? If there's a decent signal I plan to post some pictures.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:53 AM   #117
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
IIRC, the area that y'all will be parked in is very close to I-75. Cellular service along the interstate is very good. Lemme go back and check exactly where the campgrounds are, just to make sure.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #118
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
Carole,

Do you have any idea if there's any kind of cellular signal at the fairgrounds? If there's a decent signal I plan to post some pictures.
There should be. The Fairgrounds is located right on I-75 and I don't know of any place along I-75 that doesn't have a good signal...I have BellSouth Mobility...wait, they changed the name to just BellSouth...no, they merged into Cingular...that's right, no, now they merged with AT&T. Well, I have one of those and never am without a signal no matter where I go in Georgia. It is the biggest carrier in the south, maybe the whole country now.

Anyway, you won't have any trouble at the Fairgrounds no matter who your carrier is. There is coverage by all the recognizable names all along I-75 in Georgia.

Oh, Carole, I didn't realize you were quoting someone else. BTW, it was in the mid-90's this past weekend and, we are getting a little respite this week with mid-80's and some afternoon showers, but we are expecting low 90's again for Father's Day. If the heat bothers to you, you may have made the right choice. However, the real hot weather in Georgia doesn't usually start until after the 4th.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-13-2007, 11:18 AM   #119
_

. , .
last year the international rally provided an 'internet' room...

land line hook ups and wifi were included...

24/7 basically.

photo uploads were easy...

the same should be available in perry.

hey carol, i saw you in the j/c post office this am...

or was it just your photo

where is the xx (sisters') rally from here?

i might swing by for a martini...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:09 PM   #120
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I hope the post office has shown my best profile.

Are you at Jackson Center? Paula is trying to get us a special tour for Friday. C'mon down to the campground! We'll be glad to see you. We'll be there by Wednesday the 20th with the caravan, Paula may be there now, and the rest will show up on Friday 22nd.

directions

photography
Old 06-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
There should be. The Fairgrounds is located right on I-75 and I don't know of any place along I-75 that doesn't have a good signal...I have BellSouth Mobility...wait, they changed the name to just BellSouth...no, they merged into Cingular...that's right, no, now they merged with AT&T. Well, I have one of those and never am without a signal no matter where I go in Georgia. It is the biggest carrier in the south, maybe the whole country now.

Anyway, you won't have any trouble at the Fairgrounds no matter who your carrier is. There is coverage by all the recognizable names all along I-75 in Georgia.
Great! Thanks for the answers Minnie's Mate and 2air'. Between the Verizon aircard with a signal amplifier (EV-DO broadband would be a bonus), and a WiFi card with an external Cantenna, I should have the capability to upload a few pictures.
WDCU
Old 06-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate

Oh, Carole, I didn't realize you were quoting someone else. BTW, it was in the mid-90's this past weekend and, we are getting a little respite this week with mid-80's and some afternoon showers, but we are expecting low 90's again for Father's Day. If the heat bothers to you, you may have made the right choice. However, the real hot weather in Georgia doesn't usually start until after the 4th.

Non no no

Bellsouth Mobility merged with SBC wireless and became the bastard child of both SBC and Bellsouth and a joint partnership to become Cingular. Then they bought AT&T wireless and made it Cingular. Then SBC bought what was left of AT&T and thought they would keep the name instead of SBC b3casue nobody knows what a SBC is but they do know what a AT&T is (now is that Atlantic Telegraph and telephone or Atlantic telephone and telegraph or Atlanta Telephone errrr ). So then they got the bright idea to become a world company and merger with Bellsouth proper and it all become at&t (<----notice the lower case). Then to really confuse everybody they decided to kill jack with the deathstar and put the deathstar on everything. So now I have people asking me about their home phone and if I can get their cat off the phone pole whenever I am out and about in my Deathstar van.

Clear as mud huh?

We do have very good coverage in Perry and maybe I should tell them to set up a COW down there.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #123
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
Great! Thanks for the answers Minnie's Mate and 2air'. Between the Verizon aircard with a signal amplifier (EV-DO broadband would be a bonus), and a WiFi card with an external Cantenna, I should have the capability to upload a few pictures.
Just make sure you have permission to use that WI-FI. We wouldn't want to read about you getting arrested for "stealing" free WI-FI.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
Non no no

Bellsouth Mobility merged with SBC wireless and became the bastard child of both SBC and Bellsouth and a joint partnership to become Cingular. Then they bought AT&T wireless and made it Cingular. Then SBC bought what was left of AT&T and thought they would keep the name instead of SBC b3casue nobody knows what a SBC is but they do know what a AT&T is (now is that Atlantic Telegraph and telephone or Atlantic telephone and telegraph or Atlanta Telephone errrr ). So then they got the bright idea to become a world company and merger with Bellsouth proper and it all become at&t (<----notice the lower case). Then to really confuse everybody they decided to kill jack with the deathstar and put the deathstar on everything. So now I have people asking me about their home phone and if I can get their cat off the phone pole whenever I am out and about in my Deathstar van.

Clear as mud huh?

We do have very good coverage in Perry and maybe I should tell them to set up a COW down there.
There is a Viral Video going around that says all that graphically, and it's just as amusing as your explaination. If I can find it again, I'll post it if it's not too big for the forum.

Okay, I'll bite...what's a COW?

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Cow?

It could be a type of portable cellular repeater used to accomodate hordes of cell phone users at large events, like NASCAR races. Or it could one of those furry mammals that I used to tip when I was a teenager.
WDCU
Old 06-13-2007, 06:28 PM   #126
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Somehow I missed your question Silver Ranger, sorry, but looks like you got your answer covered. I had Cingular and had a signal but only had call features on our plan. I'll be anxious to see any pictures you can post from Perry!

Not so hot in Perry, eh? I heard that one before, last year from Rich Luhr, c'mon, it's cooler here in Salem. Yeah, right. Then the heat wave (and no ac parking left) I am glad you and others are getting a bit of a reprieve weather wise. I had done the average temp thing a while back and it looked formidable with the humidity. But I heard it was quite pleasant Sunday. Hope the good weather holds out and lets all get outside comfortably.

photography