Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #61
_

. , .
hi moosetags...

if already camping in the area...

a day trip to see vendors, the vintage units and so on would be fun...

my view is the int. is mostly a legislative convention...

and club offficers and members just happen to bring rvs to sleep in...

there aren't campfires (hazards) and very few folks cook out....

the vac has a tent for drinks and gathering but that was not enough for me...

you CAN dance or play cards or knit everyday in one of the buildings...

for some who have been very active at home in their region or local unit...

this is a chance to rub elbows and hob nob (look it up) with high office seekers...

and for folks that have been to many it's a chance to see old friends...

_except for the likelyhood of 90s in temp and humidity...

a forum rally nearby would be more fun and folks could car pool for a visit...

next year it is in montana and i will likely go again...

to camp in montana.

and i hope we have a grand forum function in big sky country!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
C'mon Bill, the VAC is the action.
Carol,

I know that, I meant near the vendors, registration, exhibits, workshops, entertainment, internet access, you know the important stuff which we need to keep away from outsiders.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:00 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
We ahd originally planned to go to the International Rally late last summer. It's only about 250 miles from home. We figured that this was a good opportunity to go to an international. The more we read about it, the more we were scared by it. We don't really want to be prisoners for eight days with minimal electric and minimal sewer service. When we camp with our Airstream, we like to come and go as we please. Soo, we decided against going.
The trip to Salem was 900 miles for us. That close, I had to go. Why, you ask? To see first hand what it was, I had been told that you only need to go every other year or so, and to meet people on this forum and other lists which I have met only virtually. Unfortunately, many local forum members did not attend, but had a separate function nearby, I had hoped to meet them, but I was difficult for us to get away.

Listen to other peoples thoughts, but make up your own mind based on your own experiences. Everyone looks at life through the filter of their experiences. No one looks at life the same way you do.

It was worth it and we will go to Bozeman in 2008 for the same reasons.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 01-26-2007, 10:02 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
The trip to Salem was 900 miles for us. That close, I had to go. Why, you ask? To see first hand what it was, I had been told that you only need to go every other year or so, and to meet people on this forum and other lists which I have met only virtually. Unfortunately, many local forum members did not attend, but had a separate function nearby, I had hoped to meet them, but I was difficult for us to get away.

Listen to other peoples thoughts, but make up your own mind based on your own experiences. Everyone looks at life through the filter of their experiences. No one looks at life the same way you do.

It was worth it and we will go to Bozeman in 2008 for the same reasons.

Bill
I was honored to met you at the 2006 International. You may not remember me poking around the vintage section with my sister Patty but I remember you.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:26 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
I was honored to met you at the 2006 International. You may not remember me poking around the vintage section with my sister Patty but I remember you.
Michelle,

I think "honored" is a little over the top, but you are one of those who are no longer electrons on a screen but a real person. BTW, don't you and Leon owe me the parts list for the flag pole light?

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 01-26-2007, 10:38 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Michelle,

I think "honored" is a little over the top, but you are one of those who are no longer electrons on a screen but a real person. BTW, don't you and Leon owe me the parts list for the flag pole light?

Bill
Yes, this is true. We have gotten around this promise within the NEU by just making the flag pole light thingie and giving them to our flag flying members.

Leon had given me the list, I need to find it (gosh, I hope I didn't recycle it) and get it posted.

BTW, I WAS honored to me you.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:38 AM   #67
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Thanks 65GT. We will be passing by the GA National Fair Grounds on our way south. For those who aren't familiar, GNFG are directly on the exit and are adjacent to I-75. Everybody traveling on I-75 during the Internationals will be blinded by the light reflected off of all of that aluminum like a field of mirrors! Anyway, I had thought of stopping in and checking out a few things for a couple of hours Saturday morning and hitting the road again. Perhaps we can hook-up with some or you guys if things work out.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:50 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam
We will be coming in from New England with a small caravan. We are staying off sight at a local campground. Planning on day visiting the International rally, shopping the vendors court, visiting with friends, taking in some of the seminars and classes....

What are the "must sees" or "must does" in the area?
There is a nice video up at WBCCI.org specifically here WBCCI.org

I want to go find where they filmed Fried Green Tomatoes and sample some. Also hear you can go to Sunday School taught by Jimmy Carter.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:42 AM   #69
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
There is a nice video up at WBCCI.org specifically here WBCCI.org

I want to go find where they filmed Fried Green Tomatoes and sample some. Also hear you can go to Sunday School taught by Jimmy Carter.
Although they may have filmed in Georgia, the true Whistle Stop Café is in Irondale, Alabama (a suburb or Birmingham, where Author Fannie Flagg grew up.) The setting used in the movie is just north of Macon, GA. The scenes involving the train and the little boy's foot/leg being severed were filmed in Senoia, GA (pronounced Senoy by the locals).

Cordele, GA (pronounced Core-deal) is just down the Interstate at Exit 101. You can catch a train (the S.A.M. Short Line) that runs on a regular schedule that goes directly to Plains, Ga (Jimmy Carter's home town) and you can take tours of the very small rural town there.

As far as Sunday School with Jimmy, I don't know, he is often on book tours, at the Carter Library in Atlanta, or on international peace trips, so I don't know if you can catch him in Church. IIRC, he does attend the local Maranantha Baptist Church when he is home.

Of course with all the flack he's been getting over his latest book, he may just be in hiding!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
next year it is in montana and i will likely go again...

to camp in montana.

and i hope we have a grand forum function in big sky country!

cheers
2air'
Work and other previously scheduled engagements will keep us away from the International this year; too bad, because it's only about 7 hours from us and our son lives there.

I hope to be retired next year and we have always wanted to see Montana...sign us up.
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:21 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
And I just noticed that I now have three rivets!

Randy
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #72
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Lucius the fairgrounds probably could not give you an exact number of hook-ups because they will be expanding a central hook-up to multiples. Bring LOTS of sewer hose AND duct tape. I did not connect with my single hose, about 4 or more may have gotten back and around to the other side on my unit. It will probably depend on the volunteers how many hook-ups they create.

Minnie's Mate, look me up if you visit. Should not be a problem at all.
Now I have seen a lot of scary things in my life but this takes the cake!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
You aint kidding. LOL I was going to post this picture on the view outside my door. Sometimes a front door can be very preferential to the rear door model. I hooked up to water and electric and that's it. I could have pulled over to another sewer connection and used it as a sanitation station but my tanks were fine except for the grey water which they said was legal in Perry to let run off (?) If anyone were to ask my opinion I would say keep the extension pvc pipe off and let people connect alternately as it becomes necessary to drain. It already is my least favorite job and taping it and running multiple hoses together held absolutely zero appeal for me. I have (2) 25' gray water hoses that I would have used into a regular receptacle but I was not a gonna touch that and risk a Robin Williams incident and wait for all the other taping jobs to let loose with my movement--hey I made a pun.

photography
Old 01-30-2007, 05:04 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
... and wait for all the other taping jobs to let loose with my movement--hey I made a pun.
LOL! I got it but I was BM (being mute) about it! I made a sort of pun too! OK...I'll stop now before this thread goes into the proverbial "black tank".

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:48 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
Int. rally questions

in the 1970's-1980's....3000 to 4000

in the early 1990's.......2000 to 2500

in the late 1990's..........1500 to 2000

recently...................800 to 1500
Old 02-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
Int. rally questions

We just downsized from a motorhome to a AS and so are trying to understand the group. We are going to Perry, it will be the beginning of our summer get away from hurricanes in Florida.
I saw this data and also have heard the numbers of AS's are down. Does anyone have a clue as to why. We did a lot of researach before we settled on AS and without question it seemed the best built at the lightest weight for towing. also they look great and have nostalgia.

in the 1970's-1980's....3000 to 4000
in the early 1990's.......2000 to 2500
in the late 1990's..........1500 to 2000
recently...................800 to 1500

I saw this and wondered WHY?
I know the mothorhome groups are growing, We felt they were expensive and a lot of work to keep working. something always broke. We are hoping once we have our new/99 AS fixed - it will not be a constant chore to work on.
Any ideas as to why the group is going down??

Old 02-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
The club is over 50 years old. One of the last two charter members passed away very recently. It's an old club with many older members. Many have passed and many are quite up there in age. You have only to see the lists of deceased members in the publications and the age of many of the members to realize that the numbers of that generation are dwindling.

The club is set up and operates suprisingly much as it did 50 years ago. Really. It's a bit of a culture shock to new members. You might liken the ceremonies to those you may have seen for Memorial Day rooted in patriotism and rigors of the old order and uniforms and flags. Activities and function continue with CBs as foremost communication and operations, channels of command in organization, beauty pageants, flag ceremonies, ice cream socials, big band music, awards, ribbons, pins, and many assigned ranks and that of a bygone era.

Clubs in general today are not as popular as they once were. People are busier, people don't take as much time to connect are less likely to commit their time and energy cherishing and budgeting their precious leisure time.

I don't think seeing smaller numbers in membership in itself is a cause for concern. There are many various factors involved. What I do think is a cause for concern is seeing new members drop out because they are disenchanted, ignored, or worse and do not feel they can effect any change or that they do not fit. It is also a cause for concern that prospective members are not attracted to the club.

Personally I think the last two issues are the important concerns because these are the ones that we can change. These also are the issues that have fallen by the wayside while the club's govenment has spent its time and energy on changing the identity of the club by proposing a name change or to open membership up to other brands of recreactional vehicles to grow the numbers. What I think they fail to realize is that it is the way the club is run that secures a dwindling future and changing the name and grabbing new members is not going to attract masses or stop the migration away if they don't get going and make some real changes to update for newer generations.

The vintage Airstream Club is a thriving intraclub that could easily stand independantly of the WBCCI and basically does. It has a completely different approach and personality within its parent club. To be a fullfledged voting member you must have an Airstream 25 years old or more.

What of the future? Look to start up units like Heart of Texas and 4CU, the internet based WDCU. These units have little formality and collect only a token exchange of dues. Their hands aren't tied and they are organizing, getting together and having fun.

Yes Virgina, there is a WBCCI.

photography
Old 02-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
club members

Thanks Carol, that is a pretty full answer.
I am surprised that leadership has not been looking at membership for quite awhile now (many years ) and getting worried.
I would not think adding other brands would be the answer. An airstream is unique. You would not see Foretravel or Beaver adding other brands to their rallies or group. That just does not make any sense.
Reaching out to current members and doing polls for what they want is what a leader does, well a good leader.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:28 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Carol;

That was an excellent post. WBCCI is stuck with camping in fields and daisy chaning water hook ups. Wally Byam did this routine because he had to. RV Parks as we know them today didn't exist in the 50/s. KOA one of the first RV Parks to came on the scene and that was in the 60's.

Today, with the down size of WBCCI many of the large rallies could be held at a convention center w/o parking on site. Those attending could park at a RV Park of their choice and purchase an "Event Pass" to the rally. There would be a reduction on the numbers of volunteers needed which would reduce costs and that should be passed on to those attending. In addition the rally could be shortened to five days. I wonder if any of this will ever happen.

Charlie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:36 AM   #80
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
How About the Classic Intraclub?

Quote:
The vintage Airstream Club is a thriving intraclub
I recently became aware of the Classic Airstream Club within WBCCI. Not necessarily vintage - just the classic shape/style. The CAC web site is rudimentary but I get the impression this intraclub is specifically for those who like the classic aluminum trailers and motohomes.

CAC sent me an application for membership via snail mail so once again the internet access is limited. Membership to CAC is apparently only open to existing WBCCI members but I am excited to know that somebody out there is supportive of the classic shape/style/design. I'm looking forward to meeting with CAC members at the international.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote