Old 02-25-2007, 10:44 PM   #113
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Ft. Myers , Florida
Say Debbie, We've been thinking about going to the springstream rally up in Georgia this April to experience the other side of the spectrum. I'm thinking it would be like the difference between a condo association meeting and an Alan Jackson concert.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #114
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SwampBillies
Great minds think alike!

I was actually checking my schedule this evening to see if we could make that also. But alas, I work on the 21st. Stinking job getting in the way of my play time.
I will keep looking around though and see what I can find to mesh with my schedule. I definately want to go to something! And I think you are right about the atmosphere. After all you guys would be there along with the other cool people from the forum! And I Love Alan Jackson!

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
WBCCI #15754 --- AIR #18873
1972 - 31' Sovereign International (Betty)
1964 - 24' Tradewind (Glory)
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty
SwampBillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:55 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Do attend the Georgia Mountain Fairground Rally... we did and loved it.. wonderful people and a great lake for canoeing ... especially for the fall colors
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:09 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I love Alan Jackson! One of the reasons I went to the mid-winter IBT in Perry was that his mother and sister were scheduled to perform as entertainment. They cancelled. Soooo disappointed.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:23 PM   #117
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Ft. Myers , Florida
We'll go if our schedules permit it. Meanwhile the wbcci didn't totally turn us off, it's an organization with a unique history and sounds like it needs support from AS owners. We've got no problem with being a MAL's until we have the time and/or the inclination to join a unit we like. Kinda like going to a public boat ramp on a holiday to see what happens next.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:54 AM   #118
1983 Sovereign 31'

1984 31' Sovereign
Mount Olive , North Carolina
Ok, the good night's sleep makes all the difference in the world. I agree with Debbie and Lewis' s remarks and observations. I think we all know that things don't always go as planned and Murphy shows up all too often.
When we arrived there was an elderly gentleman helping his handicapped wife into the car parked in front of the Roberts building. He greeted us with welcome, welcome, welcome, we are glad to have you here. Then he proceeded to help us and direct us as to what we needed to do next.
We too had a challenge with directions to the Fairgrounds - no address on the flyer (nor was it in the Garmin). We did a "breaker 19 for local information" as we were passing through Bradenton on I75 and received directions from a trucker right to the grounds.
We got parked ok (what spots/flags?) our parker tried to level us up the best he could and told us to park at an angle so our neighbor could get around a concrete barrier in front of his trailer - no problem.
Our neighbor wasn't there but the couple in the next trailer down was. I had a problem with our electrical plug and had to replace the plug on the end of the cable - took forever....then had to sort out the water. I went to hook up and there were two hoses already attached to my neighbor....what? No problem- there were a few folks and the couple we had met a little earlier who helped get the daisy chain straightened out and everyone had water. There was no animosity, raised voices or bitterness - just helpers and problem solvers.
The couple between Debbie and Lewis and us were first timers as well, had only been to the Forums briefly before. The four of us felt like youngsters (and we are close to retirement age but still very active in what we do). It was great getting to know them and their two golden retreivers. We had happy hour with them when the rest of our unit, who came to our trailer to get a group picture for the scrap book and then they went to the early sitting. (I got a little grief from our treasurer about not having numbers on the trailer - all in good fun.) As for the peacefulness and feeling of security, I second that...we were on the edge of the grounds left our new "happy hour" chairs out under the awning and they were still there in the morning - they would have been gone if we were at home.
We had a great time and took lots of pictures, especially of the Vintage Open House on Saturday - I will try to post some later today. We are really looking forward to soloing out to CA in May and the caravan with the Nor-Cal folks back to Perry.
As far as the stuff/people who have issues, well for the Vietvets - what are they going to do shave our heads and send us to Nam? (just chill, it will work out and be ok.) You find what you are looking for - positive or negative. My experience has been that life is not perfect (thank goodness for the challenges we have and not the challenges of others we see around us).
Lets go rally, I can't wait for our unit rally next month....
Mac and Linda
WBCCI # 3292 AIR#16287
Buckeye (Chesapeake Bay Retreiver)
1983 31' Sovereign (Carmen O)
2006 2500HD Duramax SLT CC 4x4 (Brutus B)
Mount Olive, NC 28365
"Pickle Capital of the World"
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:22 AM   #119
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbond
This is the second biggest rally in the country ( ~500 units) and lots of volunteers. Its not run by the WBCCI officers, its run by the Florida Units.
There was a lot of passing the buck rather than resolving an issue.

Herb, can you post the contact info for anyone here to contact and voice there concerns and suggestions?

Perhaps the e-mails to for the committee chair persons etc.

Will the same people be running their respective committees or does that change each year.

Just one note here, it was a good rally for those of you that didn't attend don't take these comments to mean that it sucked, let's make it better by letting the right people know your suggestions.

Maybe the AS forums inner club can become the vehicle to help accomplish this.

Moreover, this if all agree should get going and organized before Perry GA in June, or we may have the same szituations there.

Herb, who would the contacts there be committee wise if you know?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:27 AM   #120
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Problems and solutions

In the past, I have seen some (most) of the problems stated here. Last year, I became an "after hours parker" for a couple of days, and helped get everyone parked safely, got them electric and water, and gave them a verbal schedule with directions on how to get specifics. Several others have helped do this as well. Next year, now that y'all are seasoned veterans, maybe you can do something similar. You get a warm fuzzy feeling, and put a good initial impression on a first-timer's outlook.
About the parking on the flag thing... When I can't for some reason park over the flag, I just move the flag. Usually the parker starts laughing, and walks away chuckling.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #121
4 Rivet Member

Herb, can you post the contact info for anyone here to contact and voice there concerns and suggestions?

There are about 100 chairmen for the FSR. They are listed in the back of the rally schedule book that was given out at the rally. And if you now marry that with the email addresses in the new WBCCI directory you may be able to email the proper chairman. This is the first year for inclusion of email in the directory and not all have it listed. A few that are being discussed are:

registration - Jean Gilbert #4915 email listed in directory
gate cashier/greeters - Don Shires #2110 email listed

new member - Rick Bell #3485 email listed
first timers - Jerry Collins #141 no email
fair director - Harold Kerns - #230 email listed
FSR Board of Governors President - Frank Carson # 23343 email listed

Suggestions should probably go to the Director or the FSRBOG President also.

Will the same people be running their respective committees or does that change each year.

Some change but many remain the same until the chairman resigns.
One of the more popular (sanitation or dump station duty) rotates among the FLA units. I'm sure I can get anyone a position on this committee.

One FLA unit sponsors the rally each year. Next year Pensacola is the sponsor.

The International has its own set of chairmen and is operated independently from what I described about the FSR.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:50 AM   #122
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Your personal invitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt mark
Say Debbie, We've been thinking about going to the springstream rally up in Georgia this April to experience the other side of the spectrum. I'm thinking it would be like the difference between a condo association meeting and an Alan Jackson concert.
Now that you have expressed an interest, we will be disappointed if you don't attend.
If you need an invitation this is it!

No committees but you might bump into some good eats.

hope you can make it,
em.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SwampBillies
Aw man!! I really wanted to go to this one! I hate that I have to work. It looked like the closest Forum Rally to me. I hope Mark and June (Capt Mark) make it up there. You will really like them!

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
WBCCI #15754 --- AIR #18873
1972 - 31' Sovereign International (Betty)
1964 - 24' Tradewind (Glory)
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty
SwampBillies is offline   Reply With Quote