Old 02-24-2007, 06:47 AM   #85
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
I am parked 2 units down from Rich and Brett
Rick, had I known you were parked that close, I would have hobbled over and said hi.
There were many people there I wanted to meet, I just had to leave before I was able to.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:00 AM   #86
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
As far as the forum happy hour-I didn't know there were sign up sheets? or where they are. Perhaps that plan should have been posted here a week ago to be organized better nor was it mentioned that some WBCCI people were going to be there.
Bob, usually I give the Florida State rally more press here, but I have been off the air more than usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by li pets
As a new members, no one was around to tell us what the format was or what the general way things were done etc. With all the committees there should have been one to welcome and show new members the ropes introduce them to people etc.

All seminars were not where they were supposed to be at least 2 that I went looking for. Several were canceled no notice? The announcements were inaudible.

The rest rooms left a lot to be desired.

As of now not sure if we would go to another one?
I usually find as many newcomers as I can, and make sure they know what is going on, and how to get hold of me if they need help. Maybe this can be a reason to create another committee? I have suggested putting a ribbon on the badges of "new attendees", kind of like rookie stripes, so the seasoned members can approach them (I know from experience going up and asking someone can be daunting) and make sure they understand what is going on.
As far as the restrooms, the rally management has no control over how Airstream builds them.
Try going to the rally again, the second time is less confusing.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:45 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
God Bless the Forum

Granted, I don't have a lot of experience with the Rallies, but except for the vendors, I got to tell ya, the Hoedown @ the FSR had nothing on the Can Opener ! I think I'll skip Perry and all the fanfare.

I got bawled out for more infractions over the last week than than I care to remember ! Heaven forbid your jack tongue doesn't drop on the "Silver Spot" "Your going to have to learn how to handle that rig properly son" or you lock your hitch ball in your receiver.... One guy was going around putting posted notes on peoples windows early one morning about that one. I didn't get one, cause I got pinched the day before ! ( another guy I met said he thought it was one of his buddies playing a joke on him) "and just where is your name badge and ribbon young man " ? "What ? No numbers on your coach " ? !

Jeeesh ! Shades of Sister Catherine Mary !

A lot of those people took their "jobs" pretty seriously. I saw one woman closer to 80 than 70, about 5 foot nuthin', jump off her golf cart and chest to chest in a guys face, threaten to have him removed from the site over a parking thing.... the obviously younger guy was incredulous, mouth opened, with a big HUH ? look on his face Where did that little whirlwind come from ?? ( funny thing was, I was the guy parked "wrong", he was just walking by while I as being chastised yet again and made some comment about what was happening, perhaps on my behalf ? ) HAH ! we had a good laugh over that one......

I like the voluntary stripes on your ribbon idea, not only will it let others know you don't know what's happening, but instead of walking up to people that don't want to deal with you and your questions, the guys who do enjoy helping you along would be able to see and approach you too....... and I guess on the flip side, if you didn't want anyone poking his nose in your soup, you could take off the stripes. or put them on to plead innocence !

500 AS's in one place is a kool sight, next time I got a hankerin' to see that though, I'll go to Jackson, Ohio ! With everyone lined up awning to sidewall, I kind of missed a lot. Being so tightly packed made me feel a little uncomfortable about waltzing through and around other peoples space, so I struck to the beaten path of the roads.

Regrettfully, a lot of forum members started showing up for the weekend, or maybe I just started bumping into them, but by that time, I had made up my mind to make my escape, having been there almost a week .

All in all it was a good experience. I had fun, met some people from home, learned a few things, I got some questions answered and work done by the pros to help me on down the road........ the Airstream team I got was great.

God Bless the Forum !

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #88
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
good lord, that is SAD. its quite obvious that these people still just don't get it (irt declining membership, etc, etc, etc).
just what, pray tell, is wrong with locking your hitch ball in your receiver? and just what kind of "parking infraction" could spur a reaction like this????

I have yet to experience anything like this in the Wally club, but I have in other arenas where I've bumped into a bit of...umm...."misplaced authoritarianism". I've found that the language they seem to understand is the one they are in fact speaking, (except, they're not conciously aware that they're speaking it), and responding in kind is effective. i.e. I channel "Sgt. Brown"...my army basic training drill sgt. (Sgt Brown WILL square you away!! )...give it right back to 'em, and typically, like any other bully, they back down quick.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:08 AM   #89
2 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
Saint Petersburg, , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Tom Randall
B4WEDI - I saw you parked up there and noted your license plate. I met the guy that got it "in the face" at a party yesterday. He was amazed what she said about the "5 complaints" and said he didn't believe her. Anyway....

I agree with you. This is my first trip ever in a travel trailer, my first rally etc. I have a green tag with "new member"... didn't do much for me. I met Tarheel last night (great guy and gave me much info)...felt bad that no one showed up for his get together....but I explained that until I read the post here AFTER the event...I did not know there was a bulletin board.

I have met some great people and am looking forward to the vintage open house. Hope to meet more members here... always nice to put a voice with the name.

Had the wind take my awning this morning and ended up with a rip right up the middle.... Oh well... Did manage to sign up for Perry and St. Augustine. I think the trick with these is to volunteer... come in early and meet lots of people....

I am in C-10...right on the corner...and a sign on the side #1946... I haven't gotten my AIR stickers yet.... but am looking for them on units...

Tom
Tom & his travelin' Pal - Rusty Dog the Doxie

WBCCI # 1946AIR # 18277
Tom Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:57 PM   #90
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Randall
I am in C-10...right on the corner...and a sign on the side #1946...
Tom
Well Hello Tom ! Small world indeed ! I had lunch this afternoon with Greg Blue of G&N RV from Ft. Lauderdale. ( Anyone passing through that area that needs repair should give him a call. He is knowledgable, fair and honest and likes what he is doing. Super nice guy. )

Anyway, he stopped in to see me here in Naples on his way home and installed my Max-air vent there in the Publix parking lot that he couldn't get to at the rally. Above and beyond the call of duty ! Chinese buffet for lunch...... yum, uuuurrp, zzzzzzz.....

If I am right, you are the guy he mentioned that had brake troubles ? He'll be sure to see that you get straightened away, I know he is concerned.

I think I saw him Friday evening working with you around dusk, you guys looked deep into it and I didn't want to take the focus off your job.
Besides, if the Copper's were following me, I'm sure I woulda brought some heat down on ya ! ; - )

Funny you bumped into the guy I spoke of, heh, heh, I still chuckle at the thought of that scene. I didn't catch his name, but I saw him walking off in the direction of your section shaking his head.

St. Augustine thing sounds good, I bumped into Healthchic who gave me some details. Mmmmmaybee.....

Sorry to hear about your awning, I saw a lot of people wrapping theirs up Friday night when the wind started, I followed suit.
Hope you made it home alright, we'll catch up next time. Tell Greg Hello !

T & K

Old 02-24-2007, 06:39 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Oh Chuck............... surely you jest ! ( only kidding )

I was enlightened to the fact that if there was an emergency and the "Powers That Be" needed to start moving trailers around fast like, that locked hitch could be the cog in the wheel...... ( insert your imagination here )

On reflection, it does make a lot of sense from a safety standpoint. We were in there pretty close... hey, I can play along. I unlocked then and there. No hassles from me and another Lesson learned.

( ya know while we are on the subject, two guys, both firemen, also suggested to me at different times during the rally, not to have the hitch under lock and key while going down the road for the same reason, if you needed to separate the two quickly....use a pin. I bought one of them from Airstream for less than $2 bux and snapped it on. Makes sense to me, Bingo ! Another lesson ! All worth the price of admission. )

Parking you ask ? Fire lanes my boy, Safety First ! Even if you are standing next to the truck with the key in the ignition ! And of course you don't want to be blocking the one and only dump station, ( which I wasn't..... Honest ! )

I can tell ya one thing for sure though Bro, It doesn't pay to argue with Sgt. Brown, especially if she is a woman and an older woman at that...... How can ya bark back at someone your grandmother's age....... imagine someone coming in on the middle of that scene and only seeing ME in action ? Ewwww Boy ! You'd never explain it away, my luck she'd start to cry too..... then what ?

Nah, I'll take it on the chin and live to laugh about it another day, just a small shot to my pride. Like water off a duck's back, these things are insignificant, Gotta let my better nature show, It's not worthy of a man of my stature to think about things like that..........Hey, I need to go outside walk around and get some air, I'll be OK, Gotta let it go, let it go, let it go.....

T & K

Old 02-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello everyone.. We dropped in this am for the flea market and hit the vendors.. disappointed to see so many gone .. Checked out the Airstream store and checked out some of the Vintage.. talked to a couple of folks.. saw Brett and Rich. Saw only a couple of Argosy trailers.. We were pinched for time and wished we could have seen more people..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:25 PM   #93
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
thats all fine and good...but its no excuse for that kind of behavior. there's a way to impart that information "nicely"...more importantly, respectfully. That isn't what you described.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4WEDI
I can tell ya one thing for sure though Bro, It doesn't pay to argue with Sgt. Brown, especially if she is a woman and an older woman at that...... How can ya bark back at someone your grandmother's age....... imagine someone coming in on the middle of that scene and only seeing ME in action ? Ewwww Boy ! You'd never explain it away, my luck she'd start to cry too..... then what ?
then what? I'll tell ya what: she'll think twice before mistreating you again...and maybe the next person, too. I don't give a crap what anyone else thinks. she gets away with mistreating people like that because...she can. they LET her.
The incident I'm thinking of was similar...and it WAS a woman...although, not "older". doesn't matter. This was at a meeting of a group that has similar quasi-military structure...problem is the same, though. certain self-important individuals forget about the "quasi" part, and assume a bit more authority than they are entitled. Anyway, this one person...(around whom everyone walked on eggshells, as she was known for being particulaly um..."abrasive") laid into me about something so stupid and insignifant that I can't even remember what it was. Publicly berating me in front of my peers. Well, something just snapped in me, and I snapped right back at her. Its hard to describe with writing...I'd really have to record what I said, and play the sound file. I didn't go all "R. Lee Ermey" or anything, but I spoke very quickly, loudly, sternly, and abruptly: "DON'TYOUTALKTOMELIKETHAT!!!! WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?!?!?!"
(Long, silent pause... .).
Well, you'd think I'd knocked the wind right outta her. she was absolutely aghast...speechless. no one had ever given it back to her before.
well, she mubled something and made a hasty retreat...never crossed me or anyone else in my group again. after the fact, I got lots of "attaboys"..."its about time someone stood up to that ***" and so forth.

I think this is what psychologist call "imposing a boundary". Most of us have a pretty good grip on the boundaries of civility IRT strangers, but some need to be reminded on occasion.

Anyway...I'm sorry that this was your first introduction to the Wally club. Come party with us up here in NewEngland for an entirely different experience. We promise not to yell at you...unless you forget the bottle-opener, or something important like that.

]
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:47 AM   #94
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
"imposing boundaries"...... how did I let that one get by me ?

Heh, heh, heh......... I like your style Chuck ~ and ~ I think you are right !

T & K

Old 02-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
she gets away with mistreating people like that because...she can. ]
i'm not a psychologist but aren't aggressive traits inhereted for the most part. the treatment descibed in this post may have been bestowed upon her when she was a young pup of an Airstreamer showing up at a rally for the first time. Some may call it tough love.

I think this tone may have been set...dare i say it...by Wally himself. I've heard passed down stories that he could be a tough sonofabitch if provoked in any way - like a trailer being parked incorrectly at a Rally. the ripple effect of an incorrectly parked trailer could be staggering (pun intended).

i like the suggestion of letting it roll of your back. and i promise to try and remember not to be a sonofabitch when i'm parking trailers at a rally, g-d willing, when i'm in my 70's or 80's.

it's our duty as baby-boomers and gen x and y'ers not to perpetuate the mean spirited parking mantra of WBCCI'ers who have gone before us.

tongue planted firmly in cheek.

--dave
Old 02-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Florida State Rally; Poor Information

This was our first Florida State Rally. All I recieved from registration was a pd. receipt. POOR DIRECTIONS & NO INFO, NO SCHEDULE, NO WAY TO PLAN. We returned yesterday from the rally, had to leave early because of work, but if we had known that the best part was Sat. we would have made arrangements. The directions were incomplete, no mileage from 75, we thought we had missed it when we finally found it. There was incomplete and wrong information in the minny building. Could not find seminars, changes were announced at the evening event but should have been POSTED DAILY as no one had anything to write on to keep track. Info. should be sent out ahead of time so us working folks could plan better. I did not know about the flea mkt or the arts/crafts show and would have brought things. Same thing with the can collection. We were told to bring full tanks of water, which we did not need and we had no idea whether there would be electric. Some folks we met before the rally said no electric, no water. Did not know what venders would be there or that Airstream would have a shop there. This is not the way to run an event. Why can't they send more info. ahead of time, and keep us informed with changes during the rally. Had to ask several people where the dump site was before we could find it. Pitiful. We did enjoy some of the informative seminars however, some of the speakers should not be doing seminars, they act like they are talking to idiots and we left.
The entertainment seems to be geared mostly to the over 70 group. Some of us are not there yet. If there were a posting at the mini building regarding the forums happy hour, we would have gone. Too bad, not enough info.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:21 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
i have yet to attend a big rally with more than fifty trailers. i have heard that the CB's have been used to communicate announcements during rally's.

Was this method of communication used at the FL Rally?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:27 AM   #98
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by micsupply
i have yet to attend a big rally with more than fifty trailers. i have heard that the CB's have been used to communicate announcements during rally's.

Was this method of communication used at the FL Rally?
Yes. IIRC, channel 16.