Old 02-22-2007, 06:59 AM   #71
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMPBILLIES
We have been working on getting out of sometime Friday afternoon. We won't know for sure until then. Fingers crossed!
Ya' know, there has been a nasty 24 hour bug going around... People suffering from aluminitis are especially susceptible to it, especially on Friday afternoon...

Old 02-22-2007, 07:03 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 24' Tradewind
Plant City , Florida
Send a message via AIM to SwampBillies
The biggest problem is that since have have only had Betty a couple of weeks, we have been rushing to get her to the point that she can make this short trip. By trying to move the schedule up we have cut ourselves even shorter on time. She will certainly be living up to her name this week end but we will be there!

Debbie & Lewis Adkins
WBCCI #15754 --- AIR #18873
1972 - 31' Sovereign International (Betty)
1964 - 24' Tradewind (Glory)
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty
SwampBillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:23 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Well we posted a sign-up sheet Tuesday for the Forums Happy Hour as requested and had 5 units sign that they would attend. Knowing that there were several things of deep concern that had been talked about here on the Forums I asked the International President if he could take the time to attend the happy hour and talk with the forum members. Don took time away from another comittment to visit with the Forum Members as did the Region 3 president, Region 3 1st vp and Region 3 2nd vp and their spouses. They were the only ones at the happy hour.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:35 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
They were the only ones at the happy hour.
too bad about the non-attendance. so what did you talk about with don? what did they have to say for themselves?
Old 02-23-2007, 01:31 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Exclamation Apathy is not the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
Well we posted a sign-up sheet Tuesday for the Forums Happy Hour as requested and had 5 units sign that they would attend. Knowing that there were several things of deep concern that had been talked about here on the Forums I asked the International President if he could take the time to attend the happy hour and talk with the forum members. Don took time away from another comittment to visit with the Forum Members as did the Region 3 president, Region 3 1st vp and Region 3 2nd vp and their spouses. They were the only ones at the happy hour.
How embarrassing. This stinks. Sorry this happened to you Tarheel.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:56 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
This is too bad since we all want forum views to count with leadership. Sorry that you were put in such an awkward place. Did the happy hour group know about the extended plan for the gathering? That might have made a stronger feeling of responsibility for appearing. I guess this is why some people prefer the totally "unplanned" rallies so that no one feels a strong individual responsibility for social events. It seems as if this would have been an excellent small group experience to share ideas with leadership-just as has been encouraged or wished for so often here on the forum. So. . .you had a group ready at hand to hear "new" ideas. What discussion followed? Thanks for trying. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:32 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Everyone has a busy schedule specially at rallies. I was not even certain of the turn out until it happened. I offered the invitation and they (the officers) were able to take time to visit. I was really hoping that the forum members could get the chance to see that the leadership was approachable and eager to hear from the membership. These people and their spouses spend much time taking care of club business and beleive it or not are very concerned about the needs of the individuals as well as the overall well being of the club. We worked and talked about the International and Region 3 rallys that are fast approching, since both are taking place this year in our region. I will post some interesing numbers on attendance later, have to run to the evening program now. Thanks Rich for the wifi
Old 02-23-2007, 06:53 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
I'm not sure that a turn out of forums members would have had any interest in meeting with 8 WBCCI leaders. Unless you knew those forums members were all WBCCI members.

I know if I were not a member and showed up in a room with 8 folks dressed in red or blue blazers and berets I would have been frightened and been desperately looking for the nearest exit.

Maybe they were not formally dressed but it's the image that's running through my head at the moment.

Still it's really too bad 5 forums members that signed up on a sheet to all get together and meet didn't make it. Ouch...

__
Since they are at the Florida State Rally, then they are WBCCI members. They signed up, they should show. What ever happened to personal responsibility? I hope the missing attendees explain to Tarheel why they were no shows. This gives the IBT and region officers another reason to ignore AirstreamForums as just a bunch of yakkers and not doers.

Just my personal opinion.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:53 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Do you think they got lost? Seems peculiar that there were 5 separate instances of no shows. Maybe they are coming next week? What a shame. That had to be disappointing for everyone but hope and trust you all had a pleasant get together any way. Did you recognize any of the names on the list? I find that horrible myself. Maybe there was a guy without his glasses signing up himself and buddies for the wrong event.

On a happier note, how goes the rally? What are we missing? Who is there. So you went over to Rich's for wi-fi. What's the scoop?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Us "snowbound" types need a bit of encouragement from those lucky enough to be enjoying Florida's sunshine. How many units are in attendence? Did Bates RV bring the entire lineup of new Airstreams to display out front of the fairgrounds?

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #81
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Us "snowbound" types need a bit of encouragement from those lucky enough to be enjoying Florida's sunshine. How many units are in attendence? Did Bates RV bring the entire lineup of new Airstreams to display out front of the fairgrounds?
Last count I heard was a bit over 500. Bates has a new Interstate, and Base Camp, on display there. I was not able to peruse the new units like I normally do, but they did have at least 15-20 new units there on display.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
As of Thursday 10 AM I personally counted 463 units here.
travel trailers 318
vintage trailers 20
motorhomes 99
vintage motor homes 7
B vans 9
Interstate 3
argosy 7
Total 463

Approximately 60 motorhomes were parked in the early worker area.
Bates has a pretty full line of Airstreams here from base camp to a 34' as well as motorhomes and vans.
People get busy here and have more events to attend than they can possibly make, you do what is important to you. Some were first timers and really didn't understand the system. I have since met two of our fourms members and had good conversations with both of them.
I am parked 2 units down from Rich and Brett and they have left their wifi up so that those that are close can tap into their system. A very nice good will gesture, but then that the kind of folks they are.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:45 PM   #83
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
As far as the forum happy hour-I didn't know there were sign up sheets? or where they are. Perhaps that plan should have been posted here a week ago to be organized better nor was it mentioned that some WBCCI people were going to be there.

As I said before this rally had very little action in these forums.

I myself had to go to Orlando yesterday so it wasn't possible for me anyway.

On a positive note as my first WBCCI rally it is still fun and met some real nice people and was reacquainted with a few from the Can Opener. The shear numbers was a sight to behold.

The negative I suppose ( this only a constructive opinion) is that the format is very dated from the opening ceremony to the music etc, I question how the WBCCI rallies will stand the test of time with the baby boomers or younger members.

I think WBCCI leadership needs some new younger blood to go forward.

Is this the reason membership is on the decline?

As a new members, no one was around to tell us what the format was or what the general way things were done etc. With all the committees there should have been one to welcome and show new members the ropes introduce them to people etc.

All seminars were not where they were supposed to be at least 2 that I went looking for. Several were canceled no notice? The announcements were inaudible.

The rest rooms left a lot to be desired.

As of now not sure if we would go to another one?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:24 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Who was there that I may have met at the Can Opener? Hope you have met up with some nice people this evening, take a walk over to Rich Luhr's(he's with Bret in his motorhome) he'll point you in the right direction. It's at the Argosy motorhome #5501.) He is reporting happy hours all over. The Open House for vintage unit is a must. You'll love that. Bail on the organized activities if they aren't interesting you and just walk around meeting people. Do stop at the vintage tent, great bunch.

Tour of America

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote