Old 11-03-2005, 11:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Okay, so I know this isn't going to be 100%...but folks were asking about the 2005 Intenational Schedule of Events prior to the rally this last summer. I know that some things change and others stay very much the same...

So...in an effort to give you an idea of what the schedule of events at International looks like, I have scanned my 2005 Schedule and attached a .pdf of it here.

This will at least give people an idea of what could be scheduled for 2006...

Shari
Shari,

Thank you,

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:23 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

International Rally Salem Oregon

I'll be leading a Caravan from Region 9. We will start at Palo Duro Canyon in Amarillo, Texas on June 6 and arrive in Salem, Or on June 27.

WBCCI 14536
dbaverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Please tell us why people like these events

Hi all,
My wife and I have never been to an International so we're wondering if we should take advantage of the fact that it will be on our (left) coast in 2006. I'm hoping you can give us some data to make a good decision.

We went to FMCA in 2005, our first RV event ever. We went with some friends who have a SOB motorhome. They had previously attended FMCA rallies and liked some but not all. We thought it was dreadful. The camping/parking facilities were dreadful - a dusty, dirty farm field which turned into a mud hole when it rained. It was a 20 minute bus ride to the event - on schools busses. Since we weren't in the market for a new Motorhome, the coach exhibits were not all that interesting. The 'sessions' were mostly sales pitches. The vendor fair was somewhat interesting but we didn't find any real bargains nor see products that we wouldn't discover on the web. It WAS nice to have access to service by the vendor of some of the products we have (ZipDee, HWH, Suburban, Quickee, etc.).

So, please tell us what you like about any International's you have attended.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:06 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
please tell us what you like about International's

Greetings guy99!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
Hi all,
My wife and I have never been to an International so we're wondering if we should take advantage of the fact that it will be on our (left) coast in 2006. I'm hoping you can give us some data to make a good decision.
I have only missed one International Rally since 1998, and that was the International held in Vermont (tow vehicle problems had me grounded). To me, the International Rally is a combination of a huge family reunion combined with a homecoming. You can be as busy or as relaxed as you care to be, and it is a great opportunity to renew old acquaintances and begin new friendships.

During the International Rally there are numerous Unit, Region, and Intra-Club activities that are often centered around a meal at one of the area restaurants. There are also frequent four-o'clocks (afternoon social hours) where groups get together to discuss the day's activities and plans for upcoming activities -- I know that the two intra-clubs that I belong to have daily four-o'clocks (Vintage Airstream Club and Free Wheelers). There are also seminars -- some are hosted and presented by Vendors -- others are hosted and presented by WBCCI members -- I have enjoyed every one that I have attended. The Vendor displays have varied and been a bit inconsistent the past few years, but the selection and offerings at this year's International seemed to be indicating a rebound.

Camping accommodations are generally in a field, but in most cases it hasn't been a problem to level the coach. Mud, on the other hand, has been a fairly typical issue. While there has been mud at nearly every International that I have attended, I have not had the experience of getting stuck -- there is generally a tremendous effort made to insure that passable roadways are maintained. The International in Salem, OR will be my second International where I have pre-reserved a spot in the 30-AMP section -- I will never forget sweltering in Dayton, OH where 3-AMP meant only fans for cooling. The dustiest International that I have experienced was Sioux Falls, SD -- I wouldn't have missed it, as it was one of the most memorable -- of course I have wonderful memories of each and every International that I have attended.

I know that the International Rally is the highlight of my yearly travels, but I know that others are far less enthusiastic.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Shari we paid in Springfield and hope to get up a caravan from the east coast heading that way. We haven't make a route yet but we plan on being out for about 2 months.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 09:20 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think it would be cool if the forum members would have a special get together like a lunch or dinner, while in the area for the international. I'm not going to international, but I think it would be fun to meet with all the forum folks from all over while they're out here.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I think it would be cool if the forum members would have a special get together like a lunch or dinner, while in the area for the international.
We did in Springfield...no reason we can't again in 2006!
Quote:
I'm not going to international, but I think it would be fun to meet with all the forum folks from all over while they're out here.
How come? It'll be a long time before it's this close to your home again ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
Shari we paid in Springfield and hope to get up a caravan from the east coast heading that way. We haven't make a route yet but we plan on being out for about 2 months.
Cool! Look forward to seeing you guys again! Two months is a long trip...wow, fun!

Shari

Old 11-04-2005, 03:01 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

I am just an Airstream wanabe. Trying to convince my wife this is the way to go. I know I wouldn't be able to camp in SOB with the Airstream group...but could we enjoy the activities? Can we pay an entrance fee and join in. Might help sway the little lady.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:12 AM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
How come? It'll be a long time before it's this close to your home again ~

Shari
It always sounds like it's a madhouse. It just sounds like such a HUGE deal, when really I just want to get together and visit with friends. I mean, obviously some preople really enjoy it, and that's great, but it just doesn't sound like our kind of thing.

Carl, come to a forum rally. If that doesn't sway her, nothing will!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:46 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
It always sounds like it's a madhouse. It just sounds like such a HUGE deal, when really I just want to get together and visit with friends. I mean, obviously some preople really enjoy it, and that's great, but it just doesn't sound like our kind of thing.

It is what you make it.

If you just want to hang out with other like-minded folks (like most VAC'rs/Forum-Folks) then that's fine. I went to many of the 'official' events because as an officer, I was representing our unit. As just an attendee, I may not...

Shari

Old 11-04-2005, 06:58 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
This will at least give people an idea of what could be scheduled for 2006...

Shari
Thanks Very Much!!! Very Helpful!
Old 11-05-2005, 07:00 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Quote:

I hate to be so dumb, but exactly what and where are forum rallys??
Old 11-05-2005, 08:28 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
2006 International - I'm going, are you?

Greetings Carl1949!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1949
I hate to be so dumb, but exactly what and where are forum rallys??
Forum Rallys are informal gatherings originated here on the airstreamforums.com. Typically one of the members will post a proposed gathering spot and date, then interested members will respond with their interest in attending. Unlike WBCCI Rallys, each member typically makes his or her own reservations with the selected campground. There usually aren't Rally Fees as are common with WBCCI Rallys, but there also aren't formal activities or meetings. A Forum Rally is informal, campout style rallying. Membership in any formal organization is not required at Forum Rallys, and Airsteam/Argosy ownership is not a pre-requisite to attend -- I have been at Forum Rallys where attendees were in a variety of different manufacture RVs -- the central thread is that all attendees are interested in the Airstream way of life. The flavor of the Forum Rallys tend to be a bit different from WBCCI Rallys -- each has its own charm, and I enjoy both types of rallys.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote