Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > WBCCI Rallies & Events
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
2006 International, considering but.. hesitant

I will finally have the opportunity (trailer ready & vacation time available) to attend some type of rally in 2006. I'm thinking of the 2006 International but am hesitant to go as it looks like these events are rather structured and formal with activities that appeal to age groups older than mine .Wherever I go it will be my first chance to get to any type of rally and I really hope for a good experience. Also I get the impression (hope I'm wrong) that if you are a vintage owner you are like the poor stepchild in the WBCCI.
As a product of the 60's & 70's who for the past 25 years has spent a large part of his vacation time roaming the Florida Keys would this rally be a good choice or should I try for Vintage events? They look a little more laid back.
I'd like hear what the experiences of others have been in this regard.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
I will finally have the opportunity (trailer ready & vacation time available) to attend some type of rally in 2006. I'm thinking of the 2006 International but am hesitant to go as it looks like these events are rather structured and formal with activities that appeal to age groups older than mine .Wherever I go it will be my first chance to get to any type of rally and I really hope for a good experience. Also I get the impression (hope I'm wrong) that if you are a vintage owner you are like the poor stepchild in the WBCCI.
As a product of the 60's & 70's who for the past 25 years has spent a large part of his vacation time roaming the Florida Keys would this rally be a good choice or should I try for Vintage events? They look a little more laid back.
I'd like hear what the experiences of others have been in this regard.
63Air,

I don't know about being the poor stepchild, but from what I have seen, the Vintage people have a lot of fun where ever they are. Come along, it will be our first International also and I am looking forward to putting faces with all of the names on the Airstream Forums, Vintage Airstream List and Yahoo Airstream List.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:07 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
I will finally have the opportunity (trailer ready & vacation time available) to attend some type of rally in 2006. I'm thinking of the 2006 International but am hesitant to go
Just a couple of thoughts. You can consider the Airstream Homecoming in late May or early June (assuming they are doing it again)......or consider joining us for the Midwest Forums Rally at Moraine View State Park (just southeast of Bloomington Il.) on June 9th, 10th and 11th.

Jack

Well I just found out from Shari that the Homecoming rally won't be back until 2007, so scratch that off your list. Looks like you are about 150 miles from Moraine View so come see us there!
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
2005 was my first International and I had a terrific time participating in the vintage parade and activities. I would recommend it to anybody considering attending, although IL to OR is a long way to go for your first ever rally! I agree with Jack, see if you can attend another vintage or forum rally closer to home if you can't make it to Salem. If you decide to make the trek...I'll see you there, parked with vintage of course!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:20 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There is a fair differnece between the midwest rally that we all have, the homecoming and an International rally. Though all may have their good points, I would say that the trip from IL or OR would not only be long, but disappointing. If it were in MO., it may be worth it since it was so close, but from my take on what you're use to, I'd say pass on it. I'd agree that the midwest rally and/or homecoming might be more to your liking...moreover, you don't have to be a WBCCI member for either.

Now, if there was a VAC rally, and you were a WBCCI member already, I think there you'd have more fun as the VAC folks have a good thing going....heck, a number of VAC gatherings don't even care if you're a WBCCI member or not.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
I have heard that if you join the VAC they will put you with the rest of the vintage trailers. I have also heard that this group is generally a slightly younger crowd and a little more laid back. I am planning to do the 2006 Intl. and will join the VAC before then.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have been a member of WBCCI for 11 years and a member of VAC for 8. WBCCI is a little older (many retired) group because those are the people who have the max. time available to attend the many WBCCI functions(rallies, caravans, parties). VAC is a little younger and more diverse because the units are cheaper and it takes a more athletic person to be abe to maintain them and like the challenge of modifying them. VAC is the area within WBCCI which has seen the greatest growth in membership in the last 8 years. WBCCI and VAC people at the top sometimes have disagreements on particulars but WBCCI does like the publicity that comes from the participation of VAC. WBCCI does set aside a special area (usually high visability) for VAC at their outings. You have your choise of where to park. I usually park with VAC rather than my home chapter of WBCCI at the Internationals. If you have the time, there will be some excellant Caravans leaving from the midwest and east going to the International next year. The leaders usually do a good job scouting and setting up interesting things to do (and see) along the way. I set one up going to Boise from Illinois when that International occurred.We started with 19 units and took 14 days to get to Boise. We followed the Oregon Trail and saw the history as well as museums and Chuck Wagon Cook-outs. Caravans (on the average) travel only 300 miles every other day so people can see local attractions. Internationals have so much going on there are plenty of events for people of all interests. You will most likely have to skip some interesting things because many activities are schedules at one time. VAC also has their own special events within that 10 days. Dues for VAC are $20 per year and WBCCI is $55 but that is small potatos by comparison to the thousands of dollars spent on the trailers and thousands more spent on gas (or diesel) and camping fees.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote