Old 06-13-2005, 08:16 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
So...whoever want's to plan the gathering...go for it!
Iíll jump in here. I can call and confirm the reservation the day before or the day of our dinner and give the restaurant a closer guestimate of the number attending.

Letís shoot for Tuesday, the 28th. Tuesday has a good chance of avoiding conflicts because most unit get-togethers on Tuesday will be held at lunchtime, immediately following opening ceremonies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
If a restaurant gathering seems desirable, let me know an approximate party size and I could make some suggestions.
Where would you suggest thatís a fun place? Since many of us are burning vacation time to attend the rally, it should be someplace special but not too expensive. We can all eat at Cracker Barrel at home.

My guess would be about 20 for dinner at the most, although Iíd like to find someplace that will be flexible if our numbers swell.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:05 PM   #44
Rivet Master

For a brief synopsis of a very, very few local restaurants, see my post #11 at http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=15487 .

Week nights will make it fairly easy to find a place.

For 20 or so, and not a chain, I'd consider the following:

Gilardi's - Italian. Expensive by Springfield standards. Most entrees $18 - $25. The wine list and some fabulous apetizers run up the bill. Servings are generous. I THINK they can handle 20 +. The restaurant is actually the old coach house behind a Victorian house. A few blocks east of downtown.

Nona's - Mediterranean. Unpretentious. A group could have the upstairs to themselves. Something on the menu for everyone. Excellent home made bread served to every diner. Entrees $10-$15, and generous. Downtown.

South Avenue Pizza Co. - Practically across the street from Nona's. Connected to a bar next door. "Best Pizza" is a good way to start an arguement, but S.A. Pizza Co. is always mentioned in the top two or three. Might be a bit loud for conversation. Downtown

Nakato's is fun, unless you are jaded by Japanese restuarants. They have a floating sushi bar - little boats glide by one by one on a little watercourse. Diners group around tables that seat a dozen, I think, and a chef does all the usual Japanese chef tricks - onion volcano's, juggling knives, shrimp flipped into a pocket - etc. Fairly moderate price, and the food is good. S.E., on Battlefield Mall parking lot.

Mr. Yens - Chinese, but there has to be SOMETHING on that huge menu you will like. Probably the largest restaurant in Springfield. Several private dinning rooms. Moderate prices, many entrees at or around $10. South, just off James River Expressway.

Clary's American Grill. Fairly toney, but no tie is necessary. Top drawer chef. Handles groups well. S.E., not far from US 65 and Sunshine.

Finally, Riverside Inn. Popular place for groups - several different dining rooms. American menu. Was a speakeasy, or maybe even more disreputable in the 30's. Floods every ten years or so, invariably bankrupting the current owner. Sits by itself out in the country on the Finley River, just north of Ozark.

PM me if you need more suggestions, or help in getting information.

Mark

Old 06-14-2005, 10:40 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Can I just go for the "camping" and comradery of the International Rally w/out going to the seminars, classes, etc.?
Old 06-14-2005, 10:48 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
Can I just go for the "camping" and comradery of the International Rally w/out going to the seminars, classes, etc.?
Yep, all the seminars, classes, etc. are optional, unless you are an Delegate or Officer of a Unit, then some are 'required' as a representative of your Unit.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:54 PM   #47
Rivet Master

How can I obtain info about "camping" if I'm not a member of WBCCI?
Old 06-14-2005, 10:59 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
I know people who have attended year after year who never attend any of the scheduled events. They volunteer on the same committee each year and it's all about the camaraderie for them.

The rally will be what you make of it. Find your ďthingĒ and do it. Itís like taking a cruise. You canít even begin to do everything offered. Instead, they offer so many things to do so that everyone should be able to find something to suit them. If you just want to go and hang out, go for it.

Quote:
How can I obtain info about "camping" if I'm not a member of WBCCI?
I suggest calling WBCCI Headquarters at 937-596-5211. I think their hours are 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., M-F. They are in OH; I think they are in the Eastern Time zone.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:10 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Thanks...I'll give them a call,,,my work schedule has cooperated so I might be able to go down for a few of the days...I'd really like to go down for the parade and to actually see some other MH's.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:46 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
2005 International...I'm going, are you?

Greetings Zamboni!

Quote:
Thanks...I'll give them a call,,,my work schedule has cooperated so I might be able to go down for a few of the days...I'd really like to go down for the parade and to actually see some other MH's.
The Vintage Parade will be taking place on the morning of Monday, June 27th -- the precise arrival time at the parking area is a mystery to me, but the line-up time at the pre-rally site is at 8:00 a.m. with the anticipated departure from the pre-rally site being 9:00 a.m.

The Vintage Airstream Club Open House and Councours d'Elegance is scheduled to run from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday, June 29th.

This year's International promises to be fantastic! Hope that you are able to make it for the parade as it is always a memorable experience.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:44 AM   #51

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I-44 Construction Warning

For those of you traveling to Springfield Mo. via I-44 passing through St. Louis should be aware of significant construction traffic on I-44.

Here is an excerpt from yesterday's St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

"Construction crews are replacing pavement on nine miles of eastbound I-44 from 1.2 miles east of Highway F to just west of Highway H in Cuba. This month, crews closed that side of the interstate and switched its two lanes of traffic to one lane of the westbound side, leaving westbound motorists one lane. The longest delays are from 2-7pm Fridays and Saturdays and from 3 to 9pm Sundays."

According to the reports delays during these peak periods are up to two hours with traffic being backed up as far as nine miles. For those of you traveling through St. Louis who might hit this congestion, you might want to consider overnighting either in Eureka Mo., at the KOA or the KOA in Stanton Mo. That way you can get an early start the next day and minimize your delay.

For those of you not familiar with the area, I-44 is a major gateway for St. Louis folks heading for Branson or the Lake of the Ozarks. During the summer, Fridays are congested leaving St. Louis. Now, with only one lane open, it must be a nightmare. Unfortunately, other than the outer roads, for those of you heading to or from Springfield, there is no good alternative to bypass this mess. I've read stories of folks driving off the shoulders attempting to get to the outer roads. Note the highway patrol has stepped up enforcement for those making this attempt.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:34 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
1969 29' Ambassador
Kannapolis , North Carolina
Exclamation 2005 Internationals Rally - Springfield

We will be arriving a week from next Monday which is the day before the formal opening. We also plan to stay until July 5th or so.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:40 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Caravan Training Session

Does anyone have info on the Caravan Training Sessions. Like what days and contact info of the person doing it.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:45 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Most of the rally specific events are not distributed until arrival. I will be arriving on the 21st and can post details if/when I get them and get a WiFi connection...unless someone beats me to it!

Shari

Old 06-22-2005, 03:31 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Looks like the detailed schedule info will be available on the 24th...I'll post what/when I can.

Shari

Old 06-24-2005, 11:18 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Pam and I will be parked in the 30-Amp Vintage Section. We'll arrive with the VAC parade and be staying through 7-5. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone!!!

Safe travels to all.

WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote