Old 04-07-2005, 08:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Well, we're off to do last minute errands, then we're heading out on the Beltway! Even though it's a short drive, first time out in the season is tough! Looking like a bit of rain later today, but then it's shaping to be ok over the weekend. And...The cherry blossoms came out yesterday!

All are welcome to drop by if you're in the area...If anyone wants to track me down, ask where is Mary in the 61 safari, license plate "Toaster." I'll be the crazy lady cooking veggie burgers!

Mary

Old 04-10-2005, 05:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Well, as we only had to go halfway around the DC beltway to get home, I think we may just be one of the first folks back from the CBR!

The rally was utterly amazing and terrific, although it came with some difficult news about our trailer. Colin Hyde confirmed that our funny feelings that something was not quite right with news of pretty serious structural problems. It's going to be a big project, involving some stripping down to the guts. Rich Luhr describes about it in his blog as a full monte situation, though further discussion on this point has made it less terrifying than I had first envisioned the consequences.

Afterwards, the gals got me up on the roof of our host's vintage airstream police command center with a beer and a view to beat all. It was sunny and lovely and suddenly things came into perspective. The trouble of knowing our trailer needed work disolved into a realization that we only faced manageable problems. Moreover, the Washington DC unit family took us in, offering help, sympathy, friendship, and beer! That made it the best rally ever! We watched the sun set and everything was wonderful! Vintage trailering at its best!

Mary

Old 04-10-2005, 07:16 PM   #17
Craftsman

Sorry I missed the Rally. We were involved in buying a new (1871) house this weekend. Inspection and testing the well. It will give more room to work on Airstreams and for a new 34'. First order of business is to buid a new shop on the property.For anyone familar with Maryland, it's right on the Little Gunpowder River.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Wow, that is terrific! I don't remember that river--where is it in proximity to Baltimore?

Mary
Old 04-10-2005, 08:01 PM   #19
Craftsman

The Gunpowder River is about 12-15 miles North of Baltimore.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Caravan to NY

Well, the Luhr's Vintage Thunder, Colin Hyde's and Suzanne Brown's 59 28 footer, and us, the Baker's, in our 34 Limited, caravanned out of the rally site at 10am. We made a quick stop at Ikea, and then headed I-95, 695 Beltway around Baltimore, I-83 to Harrisburg, I-81 to Binghamton (Vintage Thunder went I-84 and split off in Scranton), and then route 12 to Norwich, NY. We made it in around 7pm. Colin, Suzanne, and Malcolm are courtesy parking in our drive tonight with electric, where they'll make there way up Route 12 to Utica, through the Adirondacks and up to Plattsburgh tomorrow. Colin's trailer had a left rear tire leak all the way, so we had to keep pulling into rest areas checking it out....but what a day. We'll fix the tire in the am.

We had some NY pizza here tonight, and some left over rally food on the road.

Here are some pictures of the three of us on the road...Zoe and the boys came down on Thursday so she had the van behind us taking the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-009F.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	11378   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-010F.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	11379  

Name:	MVC-006F.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	11380  
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Rivet Popping

GT, Rivet popping, frame separation from the body, and when you step on the step, the frame moves but the body doesn't. Colin runs GSM vehicles http://www.gsmvehicles.com and he is now restoring Vintage Airstreams. He had his jack there, and showed the flex up front that was popping the rivets.

Rob
Courtesy parking

Old 04-11-2005, 08:38 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Rob--

Are we playing Jeopardy here? I'd respond with "What's messed up with my trailer?" I'll take "Messed up trailer problems" for $400, Alex!

Though--what is GT? I'm thinking something like "grand tragedy!"

Fun seeing you and your family! Check out the pix at the unit forum...will have more later!

Mary
Old 04-11-2005, 08:57 AM   #23
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Sorry I didn't make it over....just not enough time w/ an overnite trip. We almost went over on Friday night, but I realized that I didn't have directions to the place printed out, and no access to a computer at the time.

I did see the cherry blossoms downtown on saturday, though. quite spectacular.

so Mary, was that you w/ the vintage outfit that I saw on Rich's blog??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0309 (Small).JPG
Views:	148
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	11383  
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:57 AM   #24
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Though--what is GT? I'm thinking something like "grand tragedy!"
Mary
GT=Globe Trotter.
Look at the bright side of your trailer problems, after you are done with it, it will be like new, and probably better, as there are methods and materials available now that were not when your coach was built.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:48 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
I'll take Vintage trailers for $1000

FireFly,

Yes, nice meeting you too. You should start a thread that is covering your digging into the belly pan to get to the frame problems, with pictures (you've got the camera) and document from the beginning to the end for a follow on seminar.

GT was a response to 65GT, he's in NY,NY and alot closer to Colin's shop in upstate NY, 5 hours via the thruway.

Rob
Courtesy parking

Old 04-11-2005, 09:50 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
No, I don't think Rob meant globetrotter here, since he knows we have a safari (and the damage described was all ours ). That's why I asked about GT. Perhaps it's "gross trailer!" Oh, on editing this, I see Rob's response, I get it now! Doh, you have to slap me upside on the head a few times!

Actually, Rich convinced me to start a blog. I'll figure that out later!

In fact, I don't recall even seeing any globetrotters at all. Still, we were surrounded by the coolest little trailers, though--such a great turnout of late 50s-early 60s models. Add to that Clayton's collection of "wierd airstreams," a squarestream (also odd, but very nice), a spanky new CCD and a handful of buddy trailers (SOBs) and you have the makings of a really diverse bunch o' trailers. Took some amazing pics myself, especially of the campfire and trailer shots at dawn.

Yes, that is me in the blog!

Mary

Oh and Chuck, we missed you! The blossoms are awesome now. Great shot, too. It's all I can do to not skip work and spend time staring at them! It is still amazing weather here...and I want to be out working on my trailer!!!!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:04 AM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Oh sure, there were a couple of Globe Trotters there! I've got a picture somewhere, but I'm still downloading and filing all the pics I took. Also a pair of 1964 Bambi II's, a Funeral Coach, a Mobile Communications Unit, the aforementioned Squarestream, two Argosies, numerous 60s Safaris, a Pacer, Colin's '59, etc.

I've also got a picture of the "Ikea Rally" that happened shortly after. As soon as I find it and get some more wi-fi from the road, I'll post that.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:20 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
My Caravel....

Mary,

Don't feel bad, Colin followed us home here, and they spent the night here in the 59 Ambassador using our courtesy parking...and he and I poked around and through (literally) Zoe's 65 Caravel...but I knew the rear had some rot issue back there. The inside front of out trailer is all metal panels, with the zolatone, and Colin liked that. I have most everything out of the trailer now. Maybe I should go all the way right now...but we'd like to use the trailer alot this summer on short weekend jaunts...so it might wait to this winter for the "Full Monty" and then my 2005 tax return will all go towards "Name still pending" the Caravel.

Rob

Courtesy parking