Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Winter Vintage Rally in Austin, TX

The Texas Highland Lakes Unit, WBCCI, is hosting a vintage-oriented rally at McKinney Falls State Park February 2-5, 2006. Forum members are invited; WBCCI membership is not required. See my posting here in the WBCCI Rally area.

Airstreams of all years are invited and there will be an Airstream open house. This will be a very informal rally, much like the recent Forum rallies we have had in this area.

Non-WBCCI members must make their own reservations and pay their own park entry fee and parking. There will be a small rally fee to cover the BBQ dinner and other events.

Some may remember the great vintage rally we had at Lake Travis two years ago. This is intended to be a repeat.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

we'll be there

Sounds like a great outing John. We'll plan on attending at least 2 nights. We are leaving on our annual winter cruise from Galveston on Sunday so we will not be able to stay the entire time. Looking forward to meeting the central Texas Airstreamers. Mike
wildcat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
Contributing Member

Some great news

The 4 hosts and the prez and his wife recently visited with the park personnel and made a survey of the park. The park will be almost empty in mid-week that time of year so we can choose any area. We were able to find a cul-de-sac area close to restrooms where we can group the vintage units quite close together.

Also, anyone local can drive in for Saturday (or any other day for that matter) and park their rig in the parking area outside the building where we will meet and have the BBQ dinner. So long as they leave before the park locks up at night, it would cost only the day rate of $3 a person to join us this way. We would charge only for the BBQ dinner and a buck toward the building rent in this case.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-21-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
Contributing Member

At the rally, we will be showing the Power Point presentation given at the 2005 International by the Vintage intra-club. This covers Airstream history from the mid-1930s up until the late 1960s with photos and information I had never seen before.

We will show these presentations after the BBQ dinner Saturday evening.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-21-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Perfect - thats what we need is a winter rally - I'm from Austin, so it will be a must attend event for me - next year (hint hint) - my prediction is you will have a great turnout and it will become a major event - My trailer is still not on the road yet - will be this summer......

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:24 AM   #6
Contributing Member

Come anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
Perfect - thats what we need is a winter rally - I'm from Austin, so it will be a must attend event for me - next year (hint hint)

Ken
Come anyway. Just drive in on Saturday. Costs $3/person to get in the park. There will be seminars and demonstrations during the day and a trailer open house. Stay for BBQ dinner (low $$) and the Power-Point presentation on early Airstreams. I have reviewed the presentation and it is well worth watching again.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-21-2005, 04:32 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

lurking

ok i'm here, your there, thats 923 miles apart. i'm going to watch this thread and ponder my ability to attend. are the banjos coming back ? i love banjos. our rig is a 57 bubble. roger
roger n cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 09:44 PM   #8
Contributing Member

Likely

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger n cindy
o are the banjos coming back ? i love banjos. roger
The banjos will probably be there. I have to bring it up at a practice to see if we have "criticla mass" to perform. If we have enough players and a suitable array of skills, we will play.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-13-2006, 05:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
This might turn into a rally of "Classical" proportions

Looks as if it's coming together.

Along with the 3 committed posts above, I am fairly certain that at least 2 other regular "Forum Rally" participants will be in attendance along with my '87 345 Classic MoHo ('78 Sovereign of the Road STILL not roadworthy) and MikenLora with their 30' Classic.

In addition, four others from the Houston area are planning to be there....of these four, I think three are sometimes Forum visitors.....

That will be 11, PLUS the others Pahaska has mentioned.

PARTEEE...

Just might have to break down and get that Internal Combustion Engine Powered Margarita Mixer after all!

Vintage Forum seems to be coming together in SE Texas.

Pot Luck on Friday night - Hope all Austinites can make it at least for Saturday if not the entire weekend.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:07 PM   #10
Contributing Member

It's coming together

The banjo club will definitely play from noon to 1PM on Saturday. Since there are no restaurants real close to the park, the club will be serving a hot dog lunch on Saturday noon. $4 for hot dog, chips or cookie, and drink. Additional $1 for a second hot dog. The proceeds will help defray the cost to rent the dining hall for 2 nights.

Camper Clinic will have at least one new Airstream on display on Saturday.

I'll be out there on Wednesday. We (the hosts) will probably go out somewhere for dinner that evening and anyone that is there early is welcome to join us.

It looks like there will be over 40 Airstreams in attendance.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-20-2006, 06:43 AM   #11
Contributing Member

More info

As of yesterday, we're up to 41 confirmed units with over 10 vintage. Hosts will be on site Wednesday so that we can go to the office early Thursday morning and tie down sites. If you haven't previously emailed your reservation number to Hazens or me, please do so in order that we can keep folks as close together as possible, especially the vintage.

We had a host meeting yesterday. With the larger than expected turnout, resulting in renting the dining hall for an additional night Thursday for a place to meet and play games if desired.

We will have ALL of the current Region 9 officers plus the most recent Past International President in attendance.

There has been some discussion of our unit making this a recurring event, perhaps every other year. We have been invited to hold it at NTAC (North Texas Airstream Community) next time which would be a perfect site with all full-hookup parking together and a great meeting hall available to us. Neat thing about NTAC is good breakfast and lunch meals available at very low prices at the college within walking distance.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-21-2006, 09:43 AM   #12
Contributing Member

And more info

We revisited the park yesterday and found that the fire marshall will allow only 75 folks into the dining room at a time. Consequently, we will give the entire Powerpoint presentation on Vintage Airstreams twice; Friday night after the potluck and Saturday night after thge BBQ. That will insure that Saturday drive-ins will have seating space to see the presentation.

The Powerpoint presentation scheduled for Saturday morning is cancelled and both sections will be given Saturday evening. We made that decision based on the excessive amount of light that we can not exclude from the dining hall. The free time Saturday morning can be used to take advantage of the expertise of the techs from the dealer.

The dealer will have a new Airstream on display. Unless they sell it between now and then, it will be the new 23' Safari.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Good rally! Good Park

Hey this IS turning into a big rally, way to go John!
Looking forward to seeing all the oldies, last time I saw things I had
never seen before or since!
Remember also that Mckinney Falls is a nice place to ride your bikes, they have a nice trail that runs thru the woods and is paved in most! parts, the pavement is a little old, but still nice for bikes.
Burn Ban is still in effect. There's swimming too if you're crazy, cause that water is mighty cold !
PS there is a good Bar B Q place in Creedmore which you can get to from the park very easily, it's about 10 miles I think.
CatStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:06 PM   #14
Contributing Member

Getting close to last call

There were 14 sites left as of noon today and at least one of those was taken this afternoon. Reserve America thinks the park is full, so the best way to get a site is to call the TPWD number her ein Austin at 512-389-8900. They have the final say.

Reserve America apparently assigned one attendee site #84. Sorry folks, it doesn't work that way in Texas State Parks. You can ony reserve a class of site and you don't get a specific site assigned until you walk into the office at the park.

We (the hosts) will be at the gate Thursday to assist in getting sites as close together as possible. We have elected to first fill the one of the two camping areas that has the fewest SOBs already in the sites. We will try to get as many vintage trailers as possible into one loop close to the facilities.

Since the park will be almost full, late comers will surely be parked in the adjacent camping area. Since we will be filling at least 60% of the available sites, everyone will have at least some Airstream neighbors.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-28-2006, 08:50 AM   #15
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Would it be possible for Forum members attending the McKinney State Falls Vintage rally this year to get together during the rally or perhaps at least have a sign in sheet or other mechanim so that we can put down our forum user name and site number? This would allow us to track each other down for introductions.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:47 AM   #16
Contributing Member

Hurrah for the weather gods!

All of the cool temperatures and 20% rain probabilities are now gone from the weather forecast. This morning's forecast is now mostly sunny for all days of the rally with temperatures in the 70s and even possibly into the low 80s on at least one day.

February rallies are dice-rolls, but it looks like this one has come up a winner.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-01-2006, 07:30 AM   #17
Contributing Member

For all you snowbirds

I hooked up at 7am this morning in a short-sleeve chambray shirt. It has become foggy since I brought the trailer home.

The hostsa are going to the park today, but the rally really starts tomorrow. Latest forecast is some rain this afternoon, then great weather for the rally itself.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-05-2006, 01:07 PM   #18
Contributing Member

Over and done

We packed the state park with Airstreams ... over 50 of the 82 sites contained Airstreams by Saturday.

We had about 19 vintage trailers in the park at one time or another. Oldest Airstream was a 1950 in original, unrestored condition. Brought by the second owner and complete with all paperwork including the original invoice.

Great potluck on Friday and BBQ on Saturday. The only hitch was one anal park deputy who took offense on us parking on the roadside durring the vintage open house. Banjo music and hot dog lunch on Saturday drew a nice crowd.

We're gyrating on whether to do this again next year at a commercial park that is easily reached from Dallas, Houston, and Austin. A commercial park should relieve us of a lot of restrictions that the state park put on us and also allow us to not be quite so spread out. We did manage to fill one loop completely with vintage, but the later vintage arrivals were spread all over the park due to the fact that the state park does not allow us to reserve specific sites or blocks of sites.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-05-2006, 02:18 PM   #19
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Pahaska,
Sounds like everyone had a great time. Can't you reserve a group site at a state park for outings like this?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:22 PM   #20
Contributing Member

Not here

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Pahaska,
Sounds like everyone had a great time. Can't you reserve a group site at a state park for outings like this?
This park doesn't have a group site. We were able, however, to rent the dining hall for 3 days as a meeting place.
WBCCI #9632